Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting a comand finding all files from unix system Post 302400354 by peter20 on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 03:11:11 AM
Old 03-03-2010
thanks a lot !!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files in Unix

I need help with the syntax to serach a directory and all the folders in that directorys for a single pdf file. I would than like to move that file to another folder. I don't know if this is possible with one command. Please Help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnlong
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding files in Unix

Hi 1)How do i find files in unix that end either in .pc or .h This does not return any output find . -name "*(pc|h)" 2)I have a file like this 001123456 .. ... i want the output to be like 001-123-456 any tricks in regular expression can do this in vi. regards Hrishy (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix shell script for finding top ten files of maximum size

I need to write a Unix shell script which will list top 10 files in a directory tree on basis of size. i.e. first file should be the biggest in the whole directory and all its sub directories. Please suggest any ideas (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding unix file system

Hi, I have here a hard drive from a computer that was damaged, and now the costumer needs the data on the hard drive, but doesn't have any other computer to read data. I don't really know what file system is on the disk. How can I find out what file system is on the disk so I can read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmarques
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writing script for finding files in the unix machine?

I would like to find whether a file exists in the UNIX machine. That i can check using if ;then echo "exists" echo " `cat $file` " else echo "invalid file" fi. and i can find out using : find / -name "filename" . But it i have wanted to search in all directories. How to get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rparsa001
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding files in unix and excluding certain folders

hi good day I am using redhat linux. Is there a better utility than the 'find' command to search for files I am trying to search through and enitre directory such as /repos for a files that have 'UAP' in it. However there are some '.step' folders littered throughout the /repos folder at varying... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnstrong
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding out the common lines in two files using 4 fields with the help of awk and UNIX

Dear All, I have 2 files. If field 1, 2, 4 and 5 matches in both file1 and file2, I want to print the whole line of file1 and file2 one after another in my output file. File1: sc2/80 20 . A T 86 F=5;U=4 sc2/60 55 . G T ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NamS
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX comand

Team, I need unix command to grep directory part from the string for example I have a texts something like /apps/opt/data/current/spool/test.dbf /apps/opt/archive/../../test.dbf I need only directory part from that string like my out put will /apps/opt/data/current/spool/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asappidi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding all files w/ suffix on the system

I am trying to build a list of all files ending in *.cbl in the system, but when I try find / -name *.cbl, I only find one specific file name that is alphabetically first. Is there something I'm missing? TIA ---------- Post updated at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:15 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbport
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding total distinct count from multiple csv files through UNIX script

Hi All , I have multiple pipe delimited csv files are present in a directory.I need to find out distinct count on a column on those files and need the total distinct count on all files. We can't merge all the files here as file size are huge in millions.I have tried in below way for each... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
9 Replies
UUX(1)							      General Commands Manual							    UUX(1)

NAME
uux - unix to unix command execution SYNOPSIS
uux [ - ] [ -cClLnprz ] [ -aname ] [ -ggrade ] [ -xdebug ] command-string DESCRIPTION
Uux will gather zero or more files from various systems, execute a command on a specified system and then send standard output to a file on a specified system. The command-string is made up of one or more arguments that look like a Shell command line, except that the command and file names may be prefixed by system-name!. A null system-name is interpreted as the local system. File names may be one of(1) a full path name; (2) a path name preceded by ~user where user is a login name on the specified system and is replaced by that user's login directory; (3) a path name prefixed by ~; where ~ is expanded to the system's public directory (usually /usr/spool/uucppublic); (4) a partial pathname, which is prefixed by the current directory. As an example, the command uux "!diff usg!/usr/dan/file1 pwba!/a4/dan/file2 > !~/dan/file.diff" will get the file1 and file2 files from the ``usg'' and ``pwba'' machines, execute a diff(1) command and put the results in file.diff in the local /usr/spool/uucppublic/dan/ directory. Any special shell characters, such as <>;|, should be quoted either by quoting the entire command-string, or quoting the special characters as individual arguments. Uux will attempt to get all files to the execution system. For files that are output files, the file name must be escaped using parenthe- ses. For example, the command uux a!wc b!/usr/file1 (c!/usr/file2 ) get /usr/file1 from system ``b'' and send it to system ``a'', perform a wc command on that file and send the result of the wc command to system ``c''. Uux will notify you by mail if the requested command on the remote system was disallowed. This notification can be turned off by the -n option. The following options are interpreted by uux: - The standard input to uux is made the standard input to the command-string. -aname Use name as the user identification replacing the initiator user-id. -c Do not copy local file to the spool directory for transfer to the remote machine (this is the default). -C Force the copy of local files to the spool directory for transfer. -ggrade Grade is a single letter/number, from 0 to 9, A to Z, or a to z; 0 is the highest, and z is the lowest grade. The default is A; by comparison uucp(1) defaults to n and mail is usually sent at grade C. Lower grades should be specified for high-volume jobs, such as news. -l Try and make a link from the original file to the spool directory. If the link cannot be made, copy the file. -n Do not notify the user when the command completes. -p Same as -: The standard input to uux is made the standard input to the command-string. -r Do not start the file transfer, just queue the job. -xdebug Produce debugging output on stdout. The debug is a number between 0 and 9; higher numbers give more detailed information. Debugging is permitted only for privileged users (specifically, those with read access to L.sys(5). -z Notify the user only if the command fails. -L Start up uucico with the -L flag. This will force calls to be made to local sites only (see uucico(8C)). FILES
/usr/spool/uucp spool directories /etc/uucp/* UUCP configuration data. SEE ALSO
uucp(1), uucico(8), uuxqt(8). WARNING
For security reasons, many installations will limit the list of commands executable on behalf of an incoming request from uux. Many sites will permit little more than the receipt of mail (see mail(1)) via uux. BUGS
Only the first command of a shell pipeline may have a system-name!. All other commands are executed on the system of the first command. The use of the shell metacharacter * will probably not do what you want it to do. The shell tokens << and >> are not implemented. When invoking uux from csh(1), the `!' character must be prefixed by the `' escape to inhibit csh's history mechanism. (Quotes are not sufficient.) 7th Edition October 22, 1996 UUX(1)