Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to parse filenames in a directory and do some actions Post 302399652 by Nila on Monday 1st of March 2010 06:27:48 AM
Old 03-01-2010
You use the following script to parse the file names and move them to the directory.

Code:
check=`find -maxdepth 1 -type f `
for file in $check
do
  dir=`echo $file | egrep  "[0-9]+.*$" | cut -d '-' -f 1`
  if [[ $dir != "" ]];then
    if [ -d $dir ]; then
      echo "$dir Directory Already Available"
      mv $file $dir
    else
      mkdir $dir
      mv $file $dir
    fi
  fi
done

Last edited by Franklin52; 03-01-2010 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Please indent your code, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Script to perform some actions on multiple files

I have this Korn script that I wrote (with some help) that is run by cron. I basically watches a file system for a specific filename to be uploaded (via FTP), checks to make sure that the file is no longer being uploaded (by checking the files size), then runs a series of other scripts. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating the filenames in a directory

hi all, I have a requirement where in i have to read all the filenames based on a pattern from a directory and concatenate all these file names and write it to another file. i am using the following code to do this var1='' for filename in $_DIR/${FILE_NAME}* do if if then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames in a directory

I have a directory of files and each file has a random 5 digit string at the beginning that needs to be removed. Plus, there are some files that will be identically named after the 5 digit string is removed and I want those eliminated or moved. any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: crumb
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse apl-numeric codes from filenames, and match them to entries in database

Hello, I am new to Unix scripting, and would like some help with my issue: I have vairous files having some alphanumeric codes in them e.g. 10000-01 34440TE 34590SR All these codes are stored in the database, and I need to parse these codes out of these filenames, and match them... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvaidya
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use filenames to create directory.

I have many files similar to this one: AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf. I want a directory named AC41 and to put the file AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf into the directory. Next, a directory named AC85 and put the file into it. Also, continue to cycle through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filenames change in a directory

Hi I have abc_ahb_one.v abc_ahb_two.v abc_ahb_three.v ........l like this -----upto abc_ahb_ninety.v in some directory. I need to change those file names to like below. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneethk
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] print all filenames in directory

Hello, I was given a (I suppose) a simple task which I don't know how to do. Before coming here I have read a dozen of awk tutorials (full read, not just line-skipping) but I still don't know how to do this. Task: Write an script file 'check.awk' with a parameter current directory that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0dehunter
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare substrings of multiple filenames and move to different directory

Hi there, I am having trouble with a script I have written, which is designed to search through a directory for a header and payload file, retrieve a string from both filenames, compare this string and if it matches make a backup of the two files then move them to a different directory for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alcurry
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing filenames in my current directory

Can someone give me a tip on writing a script that, for each file in the working directory, prints the filename, the # of lines, and the # of words to stdout? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flash123
2 Replies
Net::Sieve::Script::Rule(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Net::Sieve::Script::Rule(3pm)

NAME
Net::Sieve::Script::Rule - parse and write rules in sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
use Net::Sieve::Script::Rule; my $pRule = Net::Sieve::Script::Rule->new ( ctrl => $ctrl, test_list => $test_list, block => $block, order => $order ); or my $rule = Net::Sieve::Script::Rule->new(); my $cond = Net::Sieve::Script::Condition->new('header'); $cond->match_type(':contains'); $cond->header_list('"Subject"'); $cond->key_list('"Re: Test2"'); my $actions = 'fileinto "INBOX.test"; stop;'; $rule->add_condition($cond); $rule->add_action($actions); print $rule->write; DESCRIPTION
CONSTRUCTOR
new Arguments : order => : optionnal set priority for rule ctrl => : optionnal default 'if', else could be 'else', 'elsif' or 'vacation' test_list => : optionnal conditions by string or by Condition Object block => : optionnal block of commands Returns : Net::Sieve::Script::Rule object Set accessors alternate : as param ctrl conditions : first condition in tree actions : array of actions objects priority : rule order in script, main id for rule require : METHODS
equals return 1 if rules are equals write Return rule in text format write_condition set require for used conditions return conditions in text format write_action set require for used actions return actions in text format delete_condition Purpose : delete condition by rule, delete all block on delete anyof/allof delete single anyof/allof block : single condition move up Arguments : condition id Returns : 1 on success, 0 on error add_condition Purpose : add condition to rule, add 'allof' group on second rule Arguments : string or Condition object Returns : new condition id or 0 on error swap_actions swap actions by order return 1 on succes, 0 on failure find_action find action by order Returns: Net::Sieve::Script::Action object, 0 on error delete_action delete action by order, first is 1; add_action Purpose : add action at end of block Arguments : command line or command line list with ; separator or Net::Sieve::Script::Action object Return : 1 on success AUTHOR
Yves Agostini CPAN ID: YVESAGO Univ Metz agostini@univ-metz.fr http://www.crium.univ-metz.fr COPYRIGHT
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.10.0 2008-09-15 Net::Sieve::Script::Rule(3pm)