Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Insert a line grepping a file Post 302398001 by ammu on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 02:37:34 PM
Old 02-23-2010
Insert a line grepping a file

Hi

I have a file name file1.txt & file2.txt which looks like below

file1.txt
Code:
Name=alan
Name=math
Name=don

file2.txt
Code:
afdsfsdf
asdfasdfsd
sdfsd
dsfas

Now I have to grep for all the names and insert a line in file2.txt for each name after line3 as follows

file2.txt
Code:
afdsfsdf
asdfasdfsd
Name=alan Type=customer
Name=math Type=customer
Name=don Type=customer
sdfsd
dsfas

Can you please give me command a onliner if possible to do this
thanks in advance
ammu

Last edited by Scott; 02-23-2010 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert a line as the first line into a very huge file

Hello, I need to insert a line (like a header) as the first line of a very huge file (about 3 ml rows). I am able to do it with sed, but redirecting the output and creating a new file takes quite some time. I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of doing it? Any help would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriek
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a line in a file

Hello guys, Need to know how to insert a line at top of the file, without using temp files. Can we do it on the fly? Regards, Rishi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert line into file

Hi, My File 'temp.txt' contents are like this. <Managers> Mng={{FIL|FAVEI.mng|111}|15.000000|17.000000|17.000000| Mng={{FIL|FAPSV.mng|222}|3.000000|0.000000|0.000000|0.000000| Mng={{FIL|FAVIF.mng|333}|8.000000|8.000000|8.000000|8.000000|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay123
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help with insert line into file

hi..i wanted to know is there any way to take input from the user and copy that a particular line number in a particular file for eg . i wanted to create acl in squid at line number 2400 in squid.conf file so the user gives an input like acl inetblock src 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 so is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunicon
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Grepping/sedding/etc out part of a file... (from one word to 'blank' line)

I have a file that lists data about a system. It has a part that can look like: the errors I'm looking for with other errors: Alerts Password Incorrect Login Error Another Error Another Error 2 Other Info or, just the errors I need to parse for: Alerts Password Incorrect ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
9 Replies

6. Programming

insert line into a file

how to insert a line of text that is next to the current line(file pointer pointing to) in the file ?? :wall: ex: suppose a file named 'Sample' has the following content in it. this is to give clear idea about the problem if file pointer is pointing to the first line then i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavitha rao
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a new line before every 5th line in a file

Hi, I need to insert a new line containing the string "QUERY" above every 5 lines. The below piece of code inserts a new line after every 5th line awk '{print $0} !(NR%5) {print "QUERY"}' sed 'n;n;n;n;G;' --> I do not know how to give "QUERY" string here But I need to insert it before... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line in a file by deleting that line from another file

Hi all, I have a huge file(size more that 5GB). I want to do some manupulation with the records and write to another file. As the size of the file is huge and there is a space constraint in that directory, I want to delete that record from first file after writing it in to second file.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)