Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Number of files per directory Post 302395658 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 16th of February 2010 02:59:31 PM
Old 02-16-2010
or awk -
Code:
find /path -type f -exec dirname {} \; | 
    awk -F '/' {arr[$2]++} END { for (i in arr) { print i, arr[i] } }' | sort

for top level directories only

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 02-16-2010 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: change $1 to $2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing number of files ONLY in ~ directory

Could someone help me please. I'm trying to write a shell script that prints the number of files I have in my home directory. Files only though, directories not included. I was thinking about using a pipe that includes wc but I don't know any commands that isolate the number of files you have in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fasdafdsf
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

limit to number of files in a given directory

Everyone, We are on a unix AIX 4.3 platform and our application is written as such that all configuration files must reside in a specific directory. Currently there are over 10,000 files in this directory (and growing at about 300 per month). My question is is there a physical limit to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of files in a directory

Some simple questions from a simple man. If i wanted to count the number of files contained within a directory, say /tmp would ls -l /tmp ¦ wc -l suffice and will it be accurate? second one: How would i check the number of files with a certain string in the filename, in the same directory. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamalex
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of files in a particular directory

Hi, I am new to unix shell scripting.I am using Korn shell. I need to find if there are any files in a particular directory.first I need to find the number of files in the directory.If the file count is greater than 0 then I have to print the file names in a textfile and send an email to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbplatha
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of files in a directory

I have a directory which has lots of directories and files in it. I want to determine the total number of files in the top level directory (inclduing the files in sub-dirs) Is there a unix command of that ?/ Thanks !!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tantric
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of files in a directory

Hi All, How do i find out the number of files in a directory using unix command ? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of files in a directory

what's the script to do that? i want to only count the number of files in that directory, not including any sub directories at all (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in directory excluding existing files

Hi, Please let me know how to find out number of files in a directory excluding existing files..The existing file format will be unknown..each time.. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a number of files to a directory, then more to another

I can't find how to do this. I want to take a bulk of files, and copy/move a specific number of them (say 1000) to a newly created directory. Once that directory is full, I want to create a new folder and copy/move another batch of files, and so on. Seems like there should be an easy way to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: twjolson
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies
xdg-user-dir(1) 						   User Commands						   xdg-user-dir(1)

NAME
xdg-user-dir - Get the path used for desktop user directory location. SYNOPSIS
xdg-user-dir DIR DESCRIPTION
xdg-user-dir is a utility that extracts the location of the specified desktop user directory from the file : ${HOME}/.config/user-dirs.dirs OPERANDS
Valid desktop directories (DIR) are: DESKTOP DOWNLOAD TEMPLATES PUBLICSHARE DOCUMENTS MUSIC PICTURES VIDEOS If an invalid directory is requested ${HOME} is returned. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: HOME. Other environment variable that are used are: XDG_CONFIG_HOME Base directory for storge of XDG configuration files. Defaults to ${HOME}/.config FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/xdg-user-dir XDG Directory expansion utility. ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/user-dirs.dirs Location of the user-specific configuration including the current list of directories and what they map to. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Location of user's documents directory % xdg-user-dir DOCUMENTS /home/user/Documents ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxdg-user-dirs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
More information can be found at: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs xdg-user-dirs-update(1), xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update(1), attributes(5) NOTES
Written by Darren Kenny, Sun Microsystems Inc, 2008 SunOS 5.11 03 Apr 2008 xdg-user-dir(1)