Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to change the log level for cron? Post 302393082 by TonyFullerMalv on Sunday 7th of February 2010 06:02:44 PM
Old 02-07-2010
In the Selectors section of the manpage it says:
Quote:
The priority is one of the following keywords, in ascending
order: debug, info, notice, warning, warn (same as warning),
err, error (same as err), crit, alert, emerg, panic (same as
emerg). The keywords error, warn and panic are deprecated and
should not be used anymore. The priority defines the severity of
the message.
I would not change the log file location for cron, you confuse the hell out of any other system admin. who needs to look at your machine, likwise there may already be scripts in place looking at /var/log/cron.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process nice level command line vs cron

Under, Solaris 10 I have the following problem: A script executed at command line runs with nice level 0, as expected. Same script started under (user) crontab runs with nice level 2. I would prefer it run at 0. Is this possible? If so, how? Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: henrydark
0 Replies

2. AIX

AIX and cron logs filtering ?: /etc/cronlog.conf, /var/adm/cron/log

Hi, I can use 'crontabs –e' and do all the scheduling I like. However I would like to auto send myself just the cronjobs logs that fail. That is to say the PIDs that fail and the related lines with those PID’s only. (Not the full set of logs) Has anyone done this work? Or does an AIX 5.3 tool... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Johnson
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

runing script with log level 4

i have bash script with some batches, and when i putt log level 4 in script i get error while executing or if i rung script.sh with parameter log level 4. i appriciate some advice :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknown1
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files to a different server without Permission level change..

Hi, I was trying to copy/transfer some new and old files from one server to another server. I found the permission of the files are different in both servers. I tried to tar all the files and then send to the other server, and then also the permission level is different after copying the files.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronix007
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Difference between run level & init level

what are the major Difference Between run level & init level (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

RHCS debug log level

Hi everyone, Can you help me on how to set up the debug level of RHCS? I need more information on the cluster.log so that i can futher troubleshoot our problem being encontered now. Thanks.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shtobias
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

how to change isolation level to READ COMMITTED

Hi, I am using perl DBI and mysql-5.0.26 on unix. Could you please let me know or point to source on how to set isolation level to READ COMMITTED . ~Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

SSL certificate generation on OS level or application level

We have a RHEL 5.8 server at the production level and we have a Java application on this server. I know of the SSL certificate generation at the OS (RHEL) level but it is implemented on the Java application by our development team using the Java keytool. My doubt is that is the SSL generation can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Change run level at boot

for solaris 11, how does one change the run level at boot from 3 to 2? i checked "/etc/inittab" file where i usually change it in other *nix but it seems solaris is not using it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: badbanana
1 Replies
LOGGER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 LOGGER(1)

NAME
logger -- a shell command interface to the syslog(3) system log module SYNOPSIS
logger [-isd] [-f file] [-p pri] [-t tag] [-u socket] [message ...] DESCRIPTION
Logger makes entries in the system log. It provides a shell command interface to the syslog(3) system log module. Options: -i Log the process id of the logger process with each line. -s Log the message to standard error, as well as the system log. -f file Log the specified file. -p pri Enter the message with the specified priority. The priority may be specified numerically or as a ``facility.level'' pair. For example, ``-p local3.info'' logs the message(s) as informational level in the local3 facility. The default is ``user.notice.'' -t tag Mark every line in the log with the specified tag. -u sock Write to socket as specified with socket instead of builtin syslog routines. -d Use a datagram instead of a stream connection to this socket. -- End the argument list. This is to allow the message to start with a hyphen (-). message Write the message to log; if not specified, and the -f flag is not provided, standard input is logged. The logger utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. Valid facility names are: auth, authpriv (for security information of a sensitive nature), cron, daemon, ftp, kern (can't be generated from user process), lpr, mail, news, security (deprecated synonym for auth), syslog, user, uucp, and local0 to local7, inclusive. Valid level names are): alert, crit, debug, emerg, err, error (deprecated synonym for err), info, notice, panic (deprecated synonym for emerg), warning, warn (deprecated synonym for warning). For the priority order and intended purposes of these levels, see syslog(3). EXAMPLES
logger System rebooted logger -p local0.notice -t HOSTIDM -f /dev/idmc SEE ALSO
syslog(3), syslogd(8) STANDARDS
The logger command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. AVAILABILITY
The logger command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. 4.3 Berkeley Distribution June 6, 1993 4.3 Berkeley Distribution