Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding directory and sub-directories individual size in Perl Post 302391529 by anbu23 on Monday 1st of February 2010 03:50:15 PM
Old 02-01-2010
Is it homework?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list file's by size order in sepecfied directory and sub directories

How do I list files of type "*.file" for example by size order recursively ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ferretman
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to execute commands in individual users' home directories

Hi, I am trying to write a shell script which execute certain commands within certain folders in each user's home directories I started off with a bash script - #!/bin/csh -f su -l cvsusr1 cvs -d /home/cvsadm/repository status But the shell script finishes immediately after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupa_lahiri
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up existing Directories using facls to recursively add an individual user

I've been working with Solaris/Linux for about 4 months now. Let me explain the scenario. There will be two users involved. The owner (curOwner) and the new user (newUser). The server in question is a Solaris 10 box. So curOwner runs an application that is constantly writing logs to lets say.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amadont12
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding size of all directories

Alright so I've tried a couple different things that at first glance, looked like they worked. find . -maxdepth 5 -type d -daystart -mtime 1 | xargs du -h Which seems to ignore the previous commands such as depth and modified time. find .. -maxdepth 2 -type d -daystart -ctime 1 | xargs... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
8 Replies

7. HP-UX

Individual file size limit on HP-UX

I got a question on ulimit on HP-UX. I have a log file that gets more than 2 GB and the application crashes because it can not write to log. I browsed through the forum and found one very similar post on ulimit but that was not concluded. Did some analysis and below is some output. >getconf... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script for finding directories with mtime

Need assistance in the perl script . Below script gives me the results of all the files and directories with mtime with no issues . But i wanted to have a file and specify all the directory locations and use that file as reference and get results . Any ideas are highly Appreciated . ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding non-existing words in a list of files in a directory and its sub-directories

Hi All, I have a list of words (these are actually a list of database table names separated by comma). Now, I want to find only the non-existing list of words in the *.java files of current directory and/or its sub-directories. Sample list of words:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhanu Dhulipudi
8 Replies

10. Debian

Finding out size of sub-directory

Hi, Is there a way to find out the size of a sub-directory? Eg subidrectory in main directory /data, like this : /data/solr-5.3.1. When I do a df -h /data/solr-5.3.1, it still gives the size of /data: root@L28condor:/data/solr-5.3.1# df -h . Filesystem Size Used... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies
cd(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cd(1)

NAME
cd - change working directory SYNOPSIS
[directory] DESCRIPTION
If directory is not specified, the value of shell parameter is used as the new working directory. If directory specifies a complete path starting with or directory becomes the new working directory. If neither case applies, tries to find the designated directory relative to one of the paths specified by the shell variable. has the same syntax as, and similar semantics to, the shell variable. must have execute (search) permission in directory. exists only as a shell built-in command because a new process is created whenever a command is executed, making useless if written and pro- cessed as a normal system command. Moreover, different shells provide different implementations of as a built-in utility. Features of as described here may not be supported by all the shells. Refer to individual shell manual entries for differences. If is called in a subshell or a separate utility execution environment such as: (which invokes on accessible directories) does not affect the current directory of the caller's environment. Another usage of as a stand- alone command is to obtain the exit status of the command. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. Environment Variables The following environment variables affect the execution of The name of the home directory, used when no directory operand is specified. A colon-separated list of pathnames that refer to directories. If the directory operand does not begin with a slash character, and the first component is not dot or dot-dot, searches for directory relative to each directory named in the variable, in the order listed. The new working directory is set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current direc- tory. If is not set, it is treated as if it was an empty string. EXAMPLES
Change the current working directory to the directory from any location in the file system: Change to new current working directory residing in the current directory: or Change to directory residing in the current directory's parent directory: Change to the directory whose absolute pathname is Change to the directory relative to home directory: RETURN VALUE
Upon completion, exits with one of the following values: The directory was successfully changed. An error occurred. The working directory remains unchanged. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pwd(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), chdir(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cd(1)