Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Listing/copying files from magnetic optical disk Post 302387448 by drew_holm on Friday 15th of January 2010 08:54:08 PM
Old 01-15-2010
Thanks I will try this - do you then think I will be able to see what is on the drive? That is my main concern now is that I am getting an error on mulitple drives of this type when I am simply trying to list out the files on the drive?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive directory listing without listing files

Does any one know how to get a recursive directory listing in long format (showing owner, group, permission etc) without listing the files contained in the directories. The following command also shows the files but I only want to see the directories. ls -lrtR * (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psingh
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying oracle tables from raw disk

I have been tasked with archiving Oracle tables. The data is on raw devices, and possibly will span multiple logical volumes. Has anyone ever had to do this? How did you accomplish it? Any references to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isenhart
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Funny behaviour of copying/listing files

Hi, I encounter a very strange problem :confused: Below is the code that i will run it to backup my files. It will go to find all files in a particular folder from one date to another. The start and end date is a fixed variable. Example, my start date is 1st Jan 2005 and end date is 31st... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maldini
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Magnetic Tape

Hello All, I am facing some problem with magnetic tape drive. Backups are coming properly with the tapes that we had previously mt st give o/p as below .. root@server1:/ 2ksh# mt st Quantum Super DLT 320 tape drive: sense key(0x6)= Unit Attention residual= 0 retries= 0 file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files unto a usb pendrive/external disk from Solaris 9

Hi all, Can anybody help me with how I can connect a usb pendrive or external disk to a Sun Server which runs on Solaris 9? I am able to connect the usb drive to a windows server easily and copy files but am wondering if it is possible to do that with Solaris. Any help will be appreciated. thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
3 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Need help with MOD Disk copying

Hello, we are running Irix 6.5 on our octane/sgi computers - these computers come with an external Sony MOD drive attached via a scsi cable. We have backed info to 2.3 gig MOD disks over the years and woule like to duplicate the MOD's. I believe there are 3 ways to do this: add a second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew_holm
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a copy of an Magneto Optical Disk

We are trying to make duplicates of some Magneto Optical Disks that were created in Irix 6.5. The disks are 2.3 gig and the using a scsi MOD drive. Is there possbily a disk copy like in dos or some simple script to do this - any help appreciated. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew_holm
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Copying disk - dd or lucreate?

Got server that I want to have an 'image' of disk to keep in case of failure. What I want to be able to do is, in the event of disk failure, remove system disk replace with cloned disk (same slot) and reboot. Trouble is I cant take this server down to single user. Is dd still a viable... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
6 Replies
mt(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mt(1)

NAME
mt - magnetic tape manipulating program SYNOPSIS
tapename] command [count] Obsolescent tapename] command [count] DESCRIPTION
is used to give commands to the tape drive. If tapename is not specified, the environment variable is used; if is not defined, the default drive is used. winds the tape in the requested direction (forward or backward), stopping after the specified count EOF marks or records are passed. If count is not specified, one is assumed. Each EOF mark counts as one record. When winding backwards, the tape always stops at the BOT marker, regardless of the number remaining in count. accepts the following commands: Write count EOF marks. Forward space count files. Forward space count records. Backward space count files. Backward space count records. Rewind tape. Rewind tape and go offline. Seek to end of data (DDS and QIC drives only). Write count setmarks (DDS drives only). Forward space count setmarks (DDS drives only). Backward space count setmarks (DDS drives only). Print status information about the tape drive. Reserve tape drive for sole use by the host issuing the command (stape or estape driver only). Release tape drive from sole use by the host issuing the command (stape or estape driver only). Spacing operations (back or forward space file or record) leave the tape positioned past the object being spaced to in the direction of motion. That is, backspacing a file leaves the the tape positioned before the file mark, forward spacing a file leaves the tape positioned after the file mark. This is consistent with all classical usage on tapes. WARNINGS
Only raw, no-rewind Berkeley-type devices should be specified. This type of device will not reposition the tape upon close. An example of such a device is or See mt(7) for more details. It is possible to wind the tape beyond the EOT marker and off the end of the reel. A reservation may only be cleared with a release by the host that issued the original reserve. In the event that the host that holds the reservation is no longer available, the command may be used to reclaim the device by issuing a bus device reset. See st(1M) for more details. The reserve/release functionality can only be issued to drives using the or driver. EXAMPLES
Rewind the tape associated with the device file or (if legacy DSF is disabled): FILES
Raw magnetic tape interface (stape) Raw magnetic tape interface (estape) Default tape interface. If legacy DSF is disabled, the default value is AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
dd(1), st(1M), intro(7), mt(7). mt(1)