Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Link status turning up and down continously Post 302385643 by Jartan on Friday 8th of January 2010 07:59:33 PM
Old 01-08-2010
Link status turning up and down continously

Hi All,

Happy New Year.

I have a weird situation in one of my servers.The OS is solaris 10

We don't have bcme1 interface configured/plumbed on that system but every 5 second i get this message in /var/adm/messages
Code:
Jan  4 20:22:45 XXXX bcme: [ID 289540 kern.notice] NOTICE: bcme1 : Link is Up (1000Mbps, Full Duplex)
Jan  4 20:22:45 XXXX bcme: [ID 289540 kern.notice] NOTICE: bcme1 : No Link
Jan  4 20:58:00 XXXX bcme: [ID 289540 kern.notice] NOTICE: bcme1 : Link is Up (1000Mbps, Full Duplex)
Jan  4 20:58:01 XXXX bcme: [ID 289540 kern.notice] NOTICE: bcme1 : No Link

The o/p of ifconfig -a
Code:
# ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
bcme0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
        inet XXXX netmask fffffff0 broadcast XXXX
        ether XXXX
bnx0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
        ether XXXX
bnx1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 4
        ether XXXX

Since that interface is not enabled at all so i couldn't unplumb or bring down the interface.

Is there a way i can get rid of these messages and or uninstall the device driver for that interface so it wont be logging again.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Scott; 01-08-2010 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sftping continously with out breaking the connection

Hello Every one, I have a situation where I want to sftp the files to third part server and I came up with below script where in I am using "expect" utility for sftping the files. ..................................................... #!/usr/local/bin/expect -- # set timeout 120 set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilesrex
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script should run continously

Hi I have a small req. I have a script called as abc.sh I want to execute this script continously for every 1 minute even if i exit from the server i.e., it should keeps on running for every one minute even if i logged off Can any one send me the sample code or procedure to work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running the job continously.

I run a job, before completion of that job, another one started the same job in the middle of running the same job. What will happen? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh08
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append the output continously from a script

Hi All, Am using the below script to produce some statistics. Currently it send the results to a log file and sends the contents of the log to a mail ID. Next time when it runs it erases the previous log and writes the latest output to the log file. I want the output to be appended to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirmal84
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Polling continously for presence of a file

Hi, My os is sun solaris 5.10 and Korn shell scripting. I have a file name like CCNA_EARLY_SWP.w062309 where 062309 is date in mmddyy .This is the value date of the file.(will I need to check continously from 5.00 - 7.00 am daily for this file . If the file has not come at 5 am or 7am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj39
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to retrieve network link status from Kernel?

I have need for a reliable and easy way to get from within a script, or a java class, the status of the network interface cards (whether the link is up, or down). I believe the kernel status would be quicker to know if they were up or down rather than if a ping simply didnt respond back. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to stop the process that is running continously

Hi there, I have written a script to check daily process, each script is in a different directory. Now the first process is running fine, when it goes to the next directory the process doesn't executes. cd result/logs ref=month_1888.log echo $ref>> $logfile cd /max/tot/first... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NehaKrish
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

RHEL4 on VM cannot get status network link down

Hi All, RHEL4 on VM cannot get status network link down. when I unplug network cable. - ESX found interface down - but VM RHEL4 not detect that !, It show still up (mii-tool) Please help share you idea for my case. ESXi 5.1.0, RHEL4 Thank you, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Link aggregation and status of network interfaces in “ipadm” command

I am again rephrasing the issue that we are facing: We are creating link aggregations with two interfaces named net0 & net5: # dladm create-aggr -m dlmp -l net0 -l net5 -l net2 aggr1 Setting prob targets for aggr1: # dladm set-linkprop -p probe-ip=+ aggr1 Setting failure detection... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitanshu.verma
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)