Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Not showing n/w interface name in Solaris with ifconfig -a Post 302385527 by incredible on Friday 8th of January 2010 11:03:33 AM
Old 01-08-2010
Are you saying that ifconfig -a shows only the loopback interface lo0 ?
grep -i net /etc/path_to_inst shows all the interfaces but not in ifconfig ?
Are the interfaces plumbed ?
#uptime
#ls -l /etc/hostname.*

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Interface not showing : Xview error

Hi I'm having a big trouble running a configuration tool (ftamtool) which uses xview on sunos 5.8, it refuses to start and says: XView error: could not load font 'FONT_FAMILY_SANS_SERIF... How to force the program to use installed fonts and where are fonts installed available to use ? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

ifconfig: difference between creating logical or alias network interface

Hi guys, I have set up multiple virtual FTP servers on a server through one physical NIC. I believe there are to ways; setting logical or alias ip's. I would like to know what is the difference between setting up a logical ip or setting up an alias ip to a physical network interface? Some links to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 question on ifconfig

On prior versions to solaris 10 when I want to add/change the IP address of an interface I will use this command. ifconfig eri0 down ifconfig eri0 192.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.xxx.xxx.xxx up then change /etc/hosts so that /etc/hostname.eri0 picks up on the correct IP. I strange thing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris I386 ifconfig devices ??

I want to configure my Network card. On solaris 9 i386. How to know the good Network device. I use prtconf to display the device list. I'm searching the device name. Like ifconfig device_name plumb thanks you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Command line Interface or GUI Interface not shown on solaris

Dear all, I am a newbie in solaris and I need your advice. I have a Solaris version 5.9 installed on Sunfire V240. I am able to ssh the machine from putty remotely. My problem is that I cannot see the display from KVM switch I have connected to it. I need also to be able to see the GUI... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbouster
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Disks aren't showing up in Solaris/OBP

(Disclaimer: I put this in the "dummies" section because I am a UNIX noob and I'm not really sure what I'm doing so I felt like it belonged here. If it belongs in the Solaris section I can delete this and post it there:b:) I was handed over an Oracle SPARC T3-1 machine at work, with 8 physical... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
15 Replies

7. Solaris

X11 errors on Solaris 10 - SL Console not showing up

Hi all, I have been administrating large backup environments for quite some time now, but I have never seen the types of errors I'm getting for a client I have in Asia, so I humbly appeal to your expertise in order to fix things. Set up: StreamLine 8500 library connected to a Solaris... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dilibau
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Interface e1000g0 not showing in running state

Hello all, I have a sun server SunOS PNR1RAD01 5.10 Generic_144488-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,Netra-T5220 where i have an interface e100g0. This was earlier in running state but now this doesnt show running state. I tried to reset the interface, checked the cable but it did not help. Can nyone pls... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajjat2
10 Replies

9. Solaris

Network interface showing wrong configuratoin

on both of my T2000 I am seeing same values of 100Mbps for e1000g0 ethernet port. i know all four ethernet ports on T2000 are gigabit ports so why is my first link showing as 100Mbps and how can i correct it? # dladm show-dev e1000g0 link: up speed: 100 Mbps ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aliyesami
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning ipv6 to bonding interface - getting old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig output

Hi, I have created a bonding bond1 interface with 6 Eth , mode=4. Recently i have changed my old ipv6 to new one and tried to restart as well as reload network service. Post which i can see old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig command output. Below are few files and command output for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
1 Replies
vni(7d)                                                               Devices                                                              vni(7d)

NAME
vni - STREAMS virtual network interface driver DESCRIPTION
The vni pseudo device is a multi-threaded, loadable, clonable, STREAMS pseudo-device supporting the connectionless Data Link Provider Interface dlpi(7P) Style 2. Note that DLPI is intended to interact with IP, meaning that DLPI access to applications is not supported. (For example, snoop fails on the vni interface.) The vni device is a software-only interface and does not send or receive data. The device provides a DLPI upper interface that identifies itself to IP with a private media type. It can be configured via ifconfig(1M) and can have IP addresses assigned to it, making aliases pos- sible. The vni pseudo device is particularly useful in hosting an IP address when used in conjunction with the 'usesrc' ifconfig option (see ifconfig(1M) for examples). The logical instances of the device can also be used to host addresses as an alternative to hosting them over the loopback interface. Multicast is not supported on this device. More specifically, the following options return an error when used with an address specified on vni: IP_MULTICAST_IF, IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP, IPV6_MULTICAST_IF, IPV6_JOIN_GROUP, IPV6_LEAVE_GROUP. In addition, broadcast is not supported. Because there is no physical hardware configured below it, no traffic can be received through nor transmitted on a virtual interface. All packet transmission and reception is accomplished with existing physical interfaces and tunnels. Because applications that deal with packet transmission and reception (such as packet filters) cannot filter traffic on virtual interfaces, you cannot set up a packet filter on a virtual interface. Instead, you should configure the policy rules to apply to the physical interfaces and tunnels, and if necessary, use the virtual IP addresses themselves as part of the rule configuration. Also, note that the virtual interface cannot be part of an IP multi- pathing (IPMP) group. FILES
/dev/vni 64-bit ELF kernel driver SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), in.mpathd(1M), ip(7P), ip6(7P) SunOS 5.10 18 July 2004 vni(7d)