Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assign values to variables of a file Post 302385487 by Amit.Sagpariya on Friday 8th of January 2010 08:16:27 AM
Old 01-08-2010
No tell me one thing... from where u will get list of user? Is it in a file or you need to pass dynamically each time...

For each use, do u need to create seperate file like above. If yes, what will be the output file name conventions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how do u assign the values to different variables when it is presneted in one line??

hey people.. i have a configuration file that looks like 7080 7988 net04.xxxxx.edu 20 where 20 is the number of threads in the thread pool initially. net04.xxxxx.edu is the hostname. and 7080 7988 are two ports. first one for client requests and second one for dns communication. now my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SwetaShah
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I assign values to variables made in a script?

How do I assign values to variables made in a script? e.g. for ((x=0;x<=5;i+=1)); do Xm$i=$var done (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelitini
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i read text file and assign its values to variables using shell

Hello, I have a cat.dat file, i would like shell to read each 3 lines and set this 3 lines to 3 different variables. my cat.dat is: 11 12 +380486461001 12 13 +380486461002 13 14 +380486461003 i want shell to make a loop and assign 1st line to student_id, 2nd line to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosalinda
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign Values to variables from a text file

The text file has one single row and looks like this Q1 P1 2006 I have to pick up this values from a shell script into three different variables, say quarter, period and year from the above text file. Some one know's how to do this? I went through 'sed', dint really know how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarsani
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to parse lines in a file into two words and assign the values to two variables

For example, I have a file with below lines containing VOB tags and VOB paths. * /vobs/fts/FTSUSM20_VOB /ccvobsslx01/projects/vobs/eml/FTSUSM20_VOB * /vobs/fts/FTS20_VOB /ccvobsslx01/projects/vobs/eml/FTS20_VOB * /vobs/pmv/PMS_VOB /ccvobsslx01/projects/vobs/cpm/_/PMS_VOB *... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilkc
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variables names from array and assign the values

Hi, I have requirement to assign values to variables which are created dynamically. Below is the code which i am using to achieve above requirement. #!/bin/ksh oIFS="$IFS"; IFS=',' STR_FAIL_PARENT_IF_FAILS="WF_F_P_IF_FAILS1,WF_F_P_IF_FAILS2,WF_F_P_IF_FAILS3" set -A... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read record from the text file & assign those values to variables in the script

For eg: I have sample.txt file with 4 rows of record like: user1|password1 user2|password2 user3|password3 user4|password4 The username and password is sepsrated by '|' I want to get the 1st row value from the file and assign it to two different variables(username and password) in my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: priya001
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read record from the text file contain multiple separated values & assign those values to variables

I have a file containing multiple values, some of them are pipe separated which are to be read as separate values and some of them are single value all are these need to store in variables. I need to read this file which is an input to my script Config.txt file name, first path, second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A better way to assign values to variables - shell

so i've been used to doing it this way: SVAL=$(echo "7 3 2 38 3" | awk '{print $2}') 4VAL=$(echo "4:21:N:3" | awk -F":" '{print $4}') I know there's a way to do it by putting the value in an array and assigning it that way. but i'm not sure how to do it efficiently. any ideas? i dont... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign Unknown Values to Variables

i have a program that spits out a certain number of values. i dont know the number of values. they can be 4, 10, 7, 20, no idea. but, i want to be able to assign each of the value returned by this program to a variable. in the latest instance, the program gave the following 6 values: 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies
lpc(1B) 					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						   lpc(1B)

NAME
lpc - line printer control program SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/lpc [command [parameter...]] DESCRIPTION
The lpc utility controls the operation of local printers. Use lpc to perform the following functions: o start or stop a printer, o disable or enable a printer's spooling queue, o rearrange the order of jobs in a print queue, or o display the status of a printer print queue and printer daemon. lpc can be run from the command line or interactively. Specifying lpc with the optional command andparameter arguments causes lpc to inter- pret the first argument as an lpc command, and all other arguments as parameters to that command. Specifying lpc without arguments causes it to run interactively, prompting the user for lpc commands with lpc>. By redirecting the standard input, lpc can read commands from a file. USAGE
lpc commands can be typed in their entirety or abbreviated to an unambiguous substring. Some lpc commands are available to all users; oth- ers are available only to super-users. All users can execute the following lpc commands: ? [command ...] | help [command ...] Displays a short description of command. command is an lpc command. If command is not specified, displays a list of lpc commands. exit | quit Exits from lpc. status [all | printer...] Displays the status of print daemons and print queues. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for informa- tion regarding naming conventions for atomic names. Only a super-user can execute the following lpc commands: abort [all | printer...] Terminates an active spooling daemon. Disables printing (by preventing new daemons from being started by lpr(1B)) for printer. all specifies this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. clean [all | printer...] Removes files created in the print spool directory by the print daemon from printer 's print queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers.printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. disable [all | printer ...] Turns off the print queue for printer. Prevents new printer jobs from being entered into the print queue for printerby lpr(1B). all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. down [all | printer ...] [message] Turns the queue for printer off and disables printing on printer. Inserts message in the printer status file. message does not need to be quoted; multiple arguments to message are treated as arguments are to echo(1). Use down to take a printer down and inform users. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. enable [all | printer ...] Enables lpr(1B) to add new jobs in the spool queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for informa- tion regarding naming conventions for atomic names. restart [all | printer...] Attempts to start a new printer daemon. restart is useful when a print daemon dies unexpectedly and leaves jobs in the print queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates that this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. start [all | printer...] Enables printing. Starts a spooling daemon for the printer. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached print- ers. printer indicates the command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. stop [all | printer...] Stops a spooling daemon after the current job is complete. Disables printing at that time. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. topq printer[request-ID...] [user ...] Moves request-ID or print jobs belonging to user on printer to the beginning of the print queue. Specify user as a user's login name. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. up [all | printer ...] Turns the queue for printer on and enables printing on printer. Deletes the message in the printer status file (inserted by down). Use up to undo the effects of down. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. FILES
/etc/printers.conf System printer configuration database $HOME/.printers User-configurable printer database printers.conf.byname NIS version of /etc/printers.conf printers.org_dir NIS+ version of /etc/printers.conf ou=printers LDAP version of /etc/printers.conf ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWlpr-cmds | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
lpq(1B), lpr(1B), lprm(1B), lpstat(1), lpsched(1M), lpshut(1M), svcadm(1M), printers.conf(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use the svcs(1) utility to check if svc:/application/print/server is running. If it is not running, use svcadm enable svc:/applica- tion/print/server to start lpsched. See svcadm(1M). NOTES
When IPP is in use, the user is prompted for a passphrase if the remote print service is configured to require authentication. SunOS 5.11 2 Jun 2006 lpc(1B)