Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Indians making fun of Indians in a new TATA ad Post 302383903 by Scott on Friday 1st of January 2010 08:22:29 PM
Old 01-01-2010
In a Christmas theme, this is funny...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fun with tar

ok, i've figured out my problem with distributed, in Solaris GUI if you click on a tar file it will untar it for you, using paramiters I don't know. now, I've got a tar file in / called dnetc-solaris26-x86.tar i want to install it to the "/Veitch" directory how exactly do I use the tar... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: veitcha
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

like to have fun in terminal

Hai Friends I have installed FreeBSD in my system... I have installed it to work in text mode don't have the GUI. The default text color is Black background with White Foreground. I want it to be with Black background with Green Foreground. How could i do that. Thanks in advance Collins (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: collins
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Internet access on Solaris 10 through TATA Indicom Wireless Phone

Hi, I am trying to configure Solaris 10 for Internet Connection. I have a PC (Celeron 1.7Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Gigabyte 8LD Motherboard). The Wireless Telephone Specs are: TATA Indicom Walky. Further product details are as follows ( I did not understand most of what it says. I have given... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: priteshugrankar
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

Internet access on Solaris 10 through TATA Indicom Wireless Phone

Hi, I am trying to configure Solaris 10 for Internet Connection. I have a PC (Celeron 1.7Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Gigabyte 8LD Motherboard). The Wireless Telephone Specs are: TATA Indicom Walky. Further product details are as follows ( I did not understand most of what it says. I have given it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: priteshugrankar
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

fun scripts

Lets get a list of everyones funny scripts (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

intro to UNIX - making a sort-of recycle bin (for fun)

Hello, I'm only taking Intro to UNIX in school right now, so please bear with me. My problem is with a sort-of recycle-bin rig I've created for fun. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, I am the admin. (only user, actually) of this computer. I'm using this script in ~/.bashrc # if files exist, remove contents... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
6 Replies

7. War Stories

Following Cables for Fun!

Hi Folks, I came accross this picture taken a number of years ago now, I just thought I'd share it with you guys. We were in the process of removing equipment from the Data Centre and had followed the cable through to this area, where one of the old patch areas had been. When we lifted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies
nice(2) 							   System Calls 							   nice(2)

NAME
nice - change priority of a process SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int nice(int incr); DESCRIPTION
The nice() function allows a process to change its priority. The invoking process must be in a scheduling class that supports the nice(). The nice() function adds the value of incr to the nice value of the calling process. A process's nice value is a non-negative number for which a greater positive value results in lower CPU priority. A maximum nice value of (2 * NZERO) -1 and a minimum nice value of 0 are imposed by the system. NZERO is defined in <limits.h> with a default value of 20. Requests for values above or below these limits result in the nice value being set to the corresponding limit. A nice value of 40 is treated as 39. Calling the nice() function has no effect on the priority of processes or threads with policy SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR. Only a process with the {PRIV_PROC_PRIOCNTL} privilege can lower the nice value. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, nice() returns the new nice value minus NZERO. Otherwise, -1 is returned, the process's nice value is not changed, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The nice() function will fail if: EINVAL The nice() function is called by a process in a scheduling class other than time-sharing or fixed-priority. EPERM The incr argument is negative or greater than 40 and the {PRIV_PROC_PRIOCNTL} privilege is not asserted in the effective set of the calling process. USAGE
The priocntl(2) function is a more general interface to scheduler functions. Since -1 is a permissible return value in a successful situation, an application wishing to check for error situations should set errno to 0, then call nice(), and if it returns -1, check to see if errno is non-zero. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nice(1), exec(2), priocntl(2), getpriority(3C), attributes(5), privileges(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 1 Apr 2004 nice(2)