Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check if return value is blank Post 302382827 by Satyak on Saturday 26th of December 2009 04:41:46 AM
Old 12-26-2009
Java check if return value is blank

Hi,

i am trying to get the no of users using
nofActUsers=$(echo /usr/sbin/lsof -l | grep "/mast/data/users" )

it will return blank, if the user does nto have permissions to run the script.

Now I need to check if the valueis blank i have route to another script else the user has to continue this script.

Please help

Thanks in advance
Satya

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check for the first character to be blank

I'm having a problem when the first line or first character of a file is blank. I need to get rid of both of them when they occur but don't want to delete the line. Does anyone have any suggestions? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthreedhr
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: How to check if field is blank?

In awk, I'd like to check if a field is blank. And by blank I mean, the field could be "" or " " In other words, the field could either be empty, or be filled with spaces. Would the regex look like this? $5 ~ // { Action }? What other ways are there? Hmm.. in any case I think... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check weather file is blank or not?

Dear All I want to do following task. Kindly suggest. In my script every hour one file is genarated. say xyz.txt. Now if this file contain some data then i want to do task A and if file is blank then i want to do nothing. Kindly help me to do this. regards jaydeep (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Check if variable is set or blank

Hello guys. In my script, i have the following code: echo "The tarfile contains these directorys" tar -tf file.tar > tarlist.txt cat tarlist | awk -F/ '{print $1 "/" $2}' | nl echo "Enter path of the directory you want to extract or just press enter to extract everything: " read path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noratx
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check the variable values is blank

HI , I have to check the values of variable is blank or not. exm : ###test test1 var=`cate filename | head -1 | cut -c1-3` I need to check the first three character of 1st line . if it is blank .then exit or we need to process . Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: julirani
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

check for users blank passwords

Hello, I have an AIX 5.3 system. I want to check users to see whether there are users with blank passwords but i would prefer to do that without checking /etc/passwd or /etc/security/passwd files. Also while i was searching the web for a solution i noticed that many people refer to /etc/shadow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to check blank line?

Can someone help to transform the below logic into a shell script, might be easy for some of you. I have a file with below text, I need if the line has the ":" and the above to it is not a blank line should print " <text>: is incorrect format" Apple: vitamin = A... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: usyseng
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request to check:remove entries with blank spaces

Hi I want to remove entries with blank spaces in my input file: 123 234 456 678 56789 345346456 589 3454 345456 3454566............................ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file is empty or has blank space.?

Hi, I am using KSH. I am trying to check if the output file is empty or not. I tried with ] but what i see is my file is empty but still manages to have a size of 1 instead of 0. But my file doesnot have anything its empty. I am not sure how to check this. can any one help? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check Blank Lines, Blank Records and Junk Characters in a File

Hi All Need Help I have a file with the below format (ABC.TXT) : ®¿¿ABCDHEJJSJJ|XCBJSKK01|M|7348974982790 HDFLJDKJSKJ|KJALKSD02|M|7378439274898 KJHSAJKHHJJ|LJDSAJKK03|F|9898982039999 (cont......) I need to write a script where it will check for : blank lines (between rows,before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
6 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)