Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Crontab command substitution problem Post 302382331 by pludi on Wednesday 23rd of December 2009 04:26:23 AM
Old 12-23-2009
  • cron never supported command substitution. It can only "support" it as far as the used shell (/bin/sh) supports it.
  • cron doesn't care for you .bashrc, or any other login file for that matter, because it won't start a login shell. What it will do is basically
    Code:
    /bin/sh -c "your command"

at the specified time. As an example, this is the environment of a command started by cron on Linux:
    Code:
    SHELL=/bin/sh
    USER=pludi
    PATH=/usr/bin:/bin
    PWD=/home/pludi
    SHLVL=1
    HOME=/home/pludi
    LOGNAME=pludi
    _=/usr/bin/env

See the minimal path? That's all you have at the start of your script.
  • If you want to start an XTerm on a remote display for a certain user, you'll need to know where to connect to. But that's an information that cron couldn't possibly find out, as it will run even if you aren't connected. It will even run on Sundays, when (probably) no one is in the office. Where should the terminal be shown at then?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having Problem with crontab command

Hi all , When i am tryting to execute crontab from home directory for a shell script which is located in some directory it is giving a error message The crontab file is 0 9-17 * * 1-5 /mydir/myshell The following output is given Your "cron" job /mydir/myshell produced the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunava_maity
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution problem.

Hi, Just need some help in this. Suppose there is one file a.txt, which contains this data: "25187","00000022","00",28-MAR-2007,"" ,"D",-000001550,+0000000000,"C", ,+000000000,+000000000,000000000,"2","" ,29-MAR-2007 613TB.STEXTRF1 "25187","0000004H","00",29-MAR-2007,""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
3 Replies

3. AIX

VI Substitution problem

I'm having a problem getting my variables to work in dishing out an RMC script. The $1 works fine. $2 does not Here's a portion of the script: server=$1 filesystem1=$2 # dsh -w $1 'mkcondition -c "/var space used" -s "Name == \"$2\"" -e "PercentTotUsed > 90" -d "An event will be generated... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gravy26
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in embeded command substitution

$ echo $(tty|sed 's#/*/##') pts/0 $ who | grep $(tty|sed 's#/*/##') grep: 0652-033 Cannot open 0551-011. grep: 0652-033 Cannot open Standard. grep: 0652-033 Cannot open input. grep: 0652-033 Cannot open is. grep: 0652-033 Cannot open not. grep: 0652-033 Cannot open a. grep: 0652-033 Cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution problem

Can anyone please help me on this. i have a file with lines say X X3200 X X X X2400 X X4100 I want to use sed to put the numbers in braces. the output should be like, X X(3200) X X X X(2400) X X(4100) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: diliphp
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read command - using output from command substitution

Hey, guys! Trying to research this is such a pain since the read command itself is a common word. Try searching "unix OR linux read command examples" or using the command substitution keyword. :eek: So, I wanted to use a command statement similar to the following. This is kinda taken... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another substitution problem

Hello again, I'm trying to change the following line: INSERT INTO PH1_TX_LOAD VALUES ('TX-78731-AABSS:4182-4','RH: GUIDE TO TENNIS',TO_DATE('18-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),TO_DATE('21-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),500) so that any TO_DATE is taken... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with running the "autorep" command via crontab

Hi, The user "MadeInGermany" tried to help on the below post by saying "This has been asked before; see the links below. Get your current LD_LIBRARY_PATH and redefine that in your ksh script! " Thanks for the help. but this did not help. And my post got locked. I can't reply on my previous... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish1428
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable substitution problem

HI i was studying about variable substitution. below are info which was given in a online tutorial. ${parameter:-word}---> If parameter is null or unset, word is substituted for parameter. The value of parameter does not change. ${parameter:=word}---> If parameter is null or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
3 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)