Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with tar in a backup script Post 302381080 by TennageWerewolf on Thursday 17th of December 2009 06:19:19 AM
Old 12-17-2009
Problem with tar in a backup script

I had an idea of very-very easy bacup script that packs ALL of the files in current dir (including the subfulders and with spaces in name), packs them with tar+gz and moves to a directory. I'm using Cywin under WinXP.
But I have a problem with tar. When I do in a single line

"tar -rf "backup.tar" "somefile1.txt"; "tar -rf "backup.tar" "somefile2.txt";

It says that I need -M for multiple archives (?).
That's my code:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
BackUpDir="/cygdrive/D/Backup5"
if ([ $1 ]) then
  BackUpDir=$1
fi
if ([ ! -d $BackUpDir ]) then
  mkdir -pv $BackUpDir
fi
ArchiveName="$BackUpDir/"`date +"%d.%m.%y(%H.%M)"``dirs | sed 's!^\(/\?.*\)*/\(.*\)$!\2!g'`".tar"
PackCommand=`find -type f -regex ^.*$ | sed 's!^\(.*\)$!tar -M -rf \"__tmp.tar\" \"\1\"'!g`
$PackCommand
rm "__tmp.tar" $ArchiveName
gzip $ArchiveName

Last edited by pludi; 12-17-2009 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar backup

Hi all, I would like to append list of files to already taken tar backup file. can anybody help? last month backup : cd /accounts/11 tar -cvf monthback.tar * Now I want to add /accounts/12 to monthback.tar is it possible? Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar backup

I am trying to do a full system backup using tar. It then after maybe 12 or so hours comes up with tar: write error: unexpected EOF. I have thoroughly cleaned the drive and tried to use a different drive but it still gives me this error. Can someone help. I am on solaris 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TMashie
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff. Backup Script Using TAR. Should be simple.

I'm specifically trying to find help or insight on using the --incremental ('-G') option for creating a tar. Please resist the urge to tell me to use --listed-incremental ('-g') option. That's fairly well documented in the GNU tar manual. GNU tar 1.19 This is what the manual does say in section... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: protienplant
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup with tar

Hi friends, I am planning to backup my Solaris Servers to SAN storage using tar. Also palnning to automate the job using Crontab. Can anyone advise how to make the date change automatically everyday for backup. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with backup script

Hi, Following is the script I made for backing up Cpanel server. ================================================ #! /bin/bash rsync -raopguzl --delete --exclude "*.tar.gz" --progress --delete-excluded root@$hostname:/$otherdir/$i/ /mnt/iscsi/$hostname/home/$i done ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohitmoudgil
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please : Script Backup Problem

I have script but not work.. ===================================== #!/bin/bash # backup Backup_Dirs="/home/test" Backup_Dest_Dir=/tmp Backup_Date=`date +%b%d%y` #Create Backup tar cvzf $Backup_Date.tar.gz $Backup_Dirs $Backup_Dest_Dir ====================================== What's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

lvm/tar/rsync backup script feedback/criticism

I have written a shell script to perform backups using tar, rsync and optionally utilise lvm snapshots. The script is not finished but is in a working state and comments/descriptions are poor. I would greatly appreciate any criticism and suggestions of the script to help improve my own learning... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not correct processing of “\ “ in names of dirs inside shell script (tar command - system backup scr

Hello, Recently, I've started with shell scripting, and decided to write a script for my system backup using tar. When I was dealing with tar execution inside shell script I found this, inside shell we have the following code: tar $TAR_PARAMS $ARCHIVE_FILE $EXCLUDE $BACKUP_STARTwith... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilnar
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup script to split and tar files

Hi Guys, I'm very new to bash scripting. Please help me on this. I'm in need of a backup script which does the ff. 1. If a file is larger than 5GB. split it and tar the file. 2. Weekly backup file to amazon s3 using s3rsync 3. If a file is unchanged it doesn't need to copy to amazon s3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganitolngyundre
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Backup and restore using tar

This will be covered elsewhere im sure but i just cant seem to find my exact issue. I want to backup my systems using tar, command is: tar -cjpf /backup /bin /etc /home /opt /root /sbin /usr /var /bootWhen i include the / directory it also tar's the /lib /sys /proc /dev filesystems too (and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
8 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-out(1)