Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers line number of the i-th occurrence of a pattern Post 302380840 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 16th of December 2009 09:43:27 AM
Old 12-16-2009
Not shure if this is what you're looking for but this is an example to print the line number of the 3th occurrence of the pattern ${STRING_NAME[$J]} of the file ${1}-${8}${EXT}.out_bis:

Code:
awk -v pattern="${STRING_NAME[$J]}" -v occ="3" '
$0 ~ pattern{i++}
i==occ{print NR;exit}
' ${1}-${8}${EXT}.out_bis

Last edited by Franklin52; 12-16-2009 at 11:36 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File Based on Line Number Pattern

Hello all. Sorry, I know this question is similar to many others, but I just can seem to put together exactly what I need. My file is tab delimitted and contains approximately 1 million rows. I would like to send lines 1,4,& 7 to a file. Lines 2, 5, & 8 to a second file. Lines 3, 6, & 9 to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankster
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the line number of a pattern of first appearance??

Hi, I am doin a project in shell script please answer the above question..... waiting........ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivarajM
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of a pattern between each occurrence of a different pattern

I need to count the number of occurrences of a pattern, say 'key', between each occurrence of a different pattern, say 'lu'. Here's a portion of the text I'm trying to parse: lu S1234L_149_m1_vg.6, part-att 1, vdp-att 1 p-reserver IID 0xdb registrations: key 4156 4353 0000 0000 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slipstream
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line number of an occurrence using grep

Hi All, is there a way to extract the line number of an occurrence using grep? I know that with the -n option it prints out the line number as well. I would like to assign the line number to a variable. Thanks, Sarah (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurrence at each line

Hi I have the following file ENST001 ENST002 4 4 4 88 9 9 ENST004 3 3 3 99 8 8 ENST009 ENST010 ENST006 8 8 8 77 8 8 Basically I want to count how many times ENST* is repeated in each line so the expected results is 2 1 3 Any suggestion please ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuad_
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert new pattern in newline after the nth occurrence of a line pattern - Bash in Ubuntu 12.04

Hi, I am getting crazy after days on looking at it: Bash in Ubuntu 12.04.1 I want to do this: pattern="system /path1/file1 file1" new_pattern=" data /path2/file2 file2" file to edit: data.db - I need to search in the file data.db for the nth occurrence of pattern - pattern must... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of file before the first occurrence of a line starts with a pattern in another file

Hi all, I'm new to scripting.. facing some problems while inserting content of a file into another file... I want to insert content of a file (file2) into file1, before first occurrence of "line starts with pattern" in file1 file1 ====== working on linux its unix world working on... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove matching pattern on each line with number variations

Hello folks! I have a file containing lines like this Something text 18:37Remove This: 1,111"Keep this text" Some more text 19:37Remove This: 222"Keep this text" More text 20:50Remove This: 3,333Keep this text And more text 25:50Remove This: 44,444Keep this text I would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to extract and print first occurrence of pattern in each line

I am trying to use awk to extract and print the first ocurrence of NM_ and NP_ with a : before in each line. The input file is tab-delimeted, but the output does not need to be. The below does execute but prints all the lines in the file not just the patterns. Thank you :). file tab-delimeted ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
FC-PATTERN(1)															     FC-PATTERN(1)

NAME
fc-pattern - parse and show pattern SYNOPSIS
fc-pattern [ -cdVh ] [ --config ] [ --default ] [ -f format | --format format ] [ --version ] [ --help ] [ pattern [ element ... ] ] DESCRIPTION
fc-pattern parses pattern (empty pattern by default) and shows the parsed result. If --config is given, config substitution is performed on the pattern before being displayed. If --default is given, default substitution is performed on the pattern before being displayed. If any elements are specified, only those are printed. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -c --config Perform config substitution on pattern. -d --default Perform default substitution on pattern. -f --format format Format output according to the format specifier format. -V --version Show version of the program and exit. -h --help Show summary of options. pattern Parses and displays pattern (uses empty pattern by default). element If set, the element property is displayed for parsed pattern. SEE ALSO
FcNameParse(3) FcConfigSubstitute(3) FcDefaultSubstitute(3) FcPatternPrint(3) FcPatternFormat(3) fc-cat(1) fc-cache(1) fc-list(1) fc- match(1) fc-query(1) fc-scan(1) The fontconfig user's guide, in HTML format: /usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html. AUTHOR
This manual page was updated by Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>. 16 April 2012 FC-PATTERN(1)