Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Lots of page faults and free memory Post 302380596 by zxmaus on Tuesday 15th of December 2009 03:32:29 PM
Old 12-15-2009
I agree with zaxxon - your system urgently needs a proper system tuning ...
Your stats look like the system had been recently rebooted. You are not allowing your system to use the memory it has - and even worse you are allowing your system to move computational pages into paging space what is a real bad thing.

Assuming your oracle database is 10.2.0.4 or 11, I would suggest even more drastical tuning values. Try using cio on your filesystems, if it isn't ASM, and try following tunables if it is an OLTP database:

Code:
vmo -p -o minperm%=3
vmo -p -o maxperm%=90
vmo -p -o maxclient%=90
vmo -p -o minfree=960
vmo -p -o maxfree=1088
vmo -p -o lru_file_repage=0
ioo -p -o pv_min_pbuf=1024
ioo -p -o j2_maxPageReadAhead=128
ioo -p -o j2_dynamicBufferPreallocation=16

you should see your minfree list going down what is expected.
How many disks do you have in rootvg - if you only have one mirrored pair, drop the additional pagingspaces and extend instead hd6. If you have more disks, you can keep the additional paging spaces but make sure they're not mirrored and each one is on a separate disk.

Kind regards
zxmaus

Last edited by zxmaus; 12-16-2009 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: added code tags :)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Copy on Write page faults

Hello Please can you tell me how to access COPY ON WRITE page faults in HP -UNIX. I found the structure in /usr/include/sys/vmmeter with the structure name vmmeter. Please tell me the function to fill the values to this structure and also the arguments for function.:: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjunath
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

Intransient blocking page faults

Hi, Will anybody tell me what is this 'intransient blocking page faults' in HP-UX, it is in the structure _pst_vminfo in the header file /ust/include/sys/pstat/vm_pstat_body.h? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushaga
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

4. AIX

High Page Faults

Sorry my poor english In 570 pseries nmon shows excessive page faults, ascents of something more than 30000 Page faults. System: AIX 5.2 ML5 Processor Type: PowerPC_POWER5 Number Of Processors: 2 Processor Clock Speed: 1656 MHz CPU Type: 64-bit Kernel Type: 64-bit Memory Size: 2816 MB ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daviguez
1 Replies

5. Solaris

how to get the more memory free space (see memory free column)

Hi all, Could please let me know how to get the more memory free space (not added the RAM) in local zone. -bash-3.00# vmstat 2 5 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr s0 s1 s1 s1 in sy cs us sy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
3 Replies

6. Programming

How to deal with lots of data in memory in order not to run out of memory

Hi, I'm trying to learn how to manage memory when I have to deal with lots of data. Basically I'm indexing a huge file (5GB, but it can be bigger), by creating tables that holds offset <-> startOfSomeData information. Currently I'm mapping the whole file at once (yep!) but of course the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emitrax
1 Replies

7. AIX

Lots of page faults on AIX mySQL lpar

Hi, OS = AIX 5.3 Large number of page faults recently start to occure on AIX 5.3 lpar with mysql database installed. I need help in setting AIX OS parameter to solve the paging problem and some guidance on interpreting my stats t Code: # vmstat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crosys
5 Replies

8. AIX

AIX 7.1 high page faults

hi guys i hope you can help me with this situation. i have 2 lpar with aix 7.1 and oracle 11gr2 in grid mode. when i start nmon to check the current system health i notice that page fault are over 3000/s. than i have opened a case with ibm and they say that the problem is not paging nor... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gullio23
10 Replies

9. Solaris

Page faults on OS

Hi guys, I have a zone on a M5000 server running solaris 10. The zone has an SAP application running on it and facing some performance issues. As part of the troubleshooting, I've been recommended to look for any paging on the OS. Please advise how to look for the paging. I've been looking at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
4 Replies

10. AIX

High Paging when lots of free memory AIX 5.3

I am new to AIX, I have few AIX 5.3 servers and I could see there are significant difference in paging space utilization on servers even though they are running same applications below server is working fine which shows 2-5 % paging usage throuh out the day cpu_scale_memp = 8... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibish
12 Replies
vgchgid(1M)															       vgchgid(1M)

NAME
vgchgid - modify the Volume Group ID (VGID) on a given set of physical devices SYNOPSIS
PhysicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath] ... DESCRIPTION
The command is designed to change the LVM Volume Group ID (VGID) on a supplied set of disks. will work with any type of storage, but it is primarily targeted at disk arrays that are able to create "snapshots" or "clones" of mirrored LUNs. accepts a set of raw physical devices and ensures that they all belong to the same volume group, before altering the VGID (see section). The same VGID is set on all the disks and it should be noted that in cases of multi-PV volume groups, all the physical volumes should be supplied in a single invocation of the command. Options recognizes the following options and arguments: PhysicalVolumePath The raw devices path name of a physical volume. Background Some storage subsystems have a feature which allows a user to split off a set of mirror copies of physical storage (termed or just as LVM splits off logical volumes with the command. As the result of the "split," the split-off devices will have the same VGID as the original disks. is needed to modify the VGID on the BCV devices. Once the VGID has been altered, the BCV disks can be imported into a new volume group by using WARNINGS
Once the VGID has been changed, the original VGID is lost until a disk device is re-mirrored with the original devices. If is used on a subset of disk devices (for example, two out of four disk devices), the two groups of disk devices would not be able to be imported into the same volume group since they have different VGIDs on them. The solution is to re-mirror all four of the disk devices and re-run on all four BCV devices at the same time, and then use to import them into the same new volume group. If a disk is newly added to an existing volume group and no subsequent LVM operations has been performed to alter the structures (in other words, operations which perform an automated vgcfgbackup(1M)); then it is possible a subsequent will fail. It will report that the disk does not belong to the volume group. This may be overcome by performing a structure changing operation on the volume group (for example, using It is the system administrator's responsibility to make sure that the devices provided in the command line are all Business Copy volumes of the existing standard physical volumes and are in the ready state and writable. Mixing the standard and BC volumes in the same volume group can cause data corruption. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: 0 VGID was modified with no error 1 VGID was not modified EXAMPLES
An example showing how might be used: 1. The system administrator uses the following commands to create the Business Continuity (BCV or BC) copy: 1) For EMC Symmetrix disks, the commands are and 2) For XP disk array, the commands are and Three BCV disks are created. 2. Change the VGID on the BCV disks. 3. Make a new volume group using the BCV disks. This step can be skipped as the group file will be created automatically. If the file is manually created it will have different major and minor numbers (see lvm(7)). 4. Import the BCV disks into the new volume group. 5. Activate the new volume group. 6. Backup the new volume group's LVM data structure. 7. Mount the associated logical volumes. SEE ALSO
vgimport(1M), vgscan(1M), vgcfgbackup(1M). vgchgid(1M)