Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: User can't delete files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers User can't delete files Post 302377577 by jim mcnamara on Friday 4th of December 2009 10:49:07 AM
Old 12-04-2009
Does your filesystem support acl's?

A better solution is to create an alias in /etc/profile - assume the group of users you want to trap is 1144, you can do something like this
Code:
id | read UID GID
if [[ $UID -eq 1142 ]] ; then
  alias rm='/usr/local/bin/special_rm.sh'
fi

Write a wrapper script /usr/local/bin/special_rm.sh
which warns them about each file they are deleting, then reports the action to a logfile.
Or prevents them from deleting file names 'special*' or whatever.

If they are deleting history files or local profiles, move the contents of all profiles off to another protected directory. Use the HISTIFLE variable to write history to a protected directory. Or have the rm/alias script not allow deleting those files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Delete User?

is there a way to delete a mac os x user using unix? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CBarraford
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete all files of a particular user

How do I delete all directories and files belonging to a particular userid in a directory and its subdirs? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
9 Replies

3. AIX

delete user on kerberised server

how r u all, i have AIX server which is kerberised, and i create a user on it called "sam" when i want to assign a password for it i typed smit user then i choosed change password and i choosed the user " sam" when i press enter this message ' user 'sam' doesnt exist" appears. then when i want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abu7maid2005
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to delete history for a particular user

Hi All, Whenever I log in to my terminal and execute some cmds and then I type "history", I get the list of all the commands that I have executed. I want to know where is the history been stored (any path location ?) Secondly,if I want to delete the history or some part of the history, can... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

delete user

hello, Aside from userdel -r "username', are there any things needed to check before deleting a user? I wanted to cleanup user accounts and Im just worried if there are scripts or tasks created or owned by them that might be affected once I deleted the account. I normally login to their account... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete everything owned by a particular user

I want to delete all files and folders owned a user say abcuser in the folder /tmp . Can you please give me the command ? Thanks Matt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete files of a particular user?

I went to location where I need to delete all the files owned by me I used the below code but it didn't work. It didn't throw any error but it hasn't deleted the files find . -user username -exec rm -rf {} \; Any suggestions please? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakers646
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete file content by asking user Yes/No...

I have following script to ping multiple ips but i want to delete ip.csv file content after running script .....but before deleting content i have ask user yes/No prompt depend on user input Yes/no ip.csv content will delete.. #!/bin/bash for enodeb in `cat /tmp/ip.csv` do ping -c 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Mankar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to delete a user and home directory

Good Afternoon, I'm trying userdel -r username on Solaris 9 and getting UX: userdel: ERROR: unable to find status about home directory: No such file or directory I see the user's home directory and getent passwd shows the user Anybody know what's causing it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
2 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)