Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers file "pax_global_header" means what? Post 302376230 by cqlouis on Tuesday 1st of December 2009 03:15:09 AM
Old 12-01-2009
file "pax_global_header" means what?

I'm using Red Hat 9.0, the kernel is 2.4.20-8,
I want to update the kernel ,
go to www.kernel.org and then download the linux-2.4.37.7.tar.bz2
to /root
Code:

[root@localhost root]# ll
total 88576
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1057 Dec  1 03:23 anaconda-ks.cfg
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        13205 Dec  1 03:23 install.log
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         3468 Dec  1 03:22 install.log.syslog
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     31116476 Nov  8 00:56 linux-2.4.37.7.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     59453949 Oct  6 01:18 linux-2.6.30.9.tar.bz2
[root@localhost root]# tar -jxvf linux-2.4.37.7.tar.bz2 -C /usr/src
[root@localhost root]# ll /usr/src/
total 16
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan 25  2003 debug
drwxrwxr-x   15 root     root         4096 Nov  8 00:52 linux-2.4.37.7
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root           52 Nov  8 00:52 pax_global_header
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root         4096 Dec  1 03:21 redhat

[root@localhost root]# cat /usr/src/pax_global_header
52 comment=c296c56a03b2629b05bbe21cd5d4a0bb750d812c

my first question is:
what the file "pax_global_header" is?? It's for what?

my second question is:
under the linux-2.4.37.7/, there is a README, I looked into this README,
it mentioned:
Code:
INSTALLING the kernel:

- If you install the full sources, put the kernel tarball in a
   directory where you have permissions (eg. your home directory) and
   unpack it:

gzip -cd linux-2.4.XX.tar.gz | tar xvf -

Replace "XX" with the version number of the latest kernel.

Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area! This area has a (usually
   incomplete) set of kernel headers that are used by the library header
   files.  They should match the library, and not get messed up by
   whatever the kernel-du-jour happens to be.

but in my mind , the palce to store the source code is usually /usr/src, so i unzip the .tar.bz2 to /usr/src.
so, it true or important that Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area??!!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Any idea what this counter means "tcpTimRetrans"

I am chasing an issue where I see drop packets, in order to dig the problem further I issue netstat -s -P tcp command which shows me the stats from the tcp perspective. In that stats I see a counter which is "tcpTimRetrans" which increments along with "tcpRetransSegs". When both of these counter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: purechgo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

What "-a" operator means in "if" statement

Hi I am trying to figure out what the following line does, I work in ksh88: ] && LIST="$big $LIST" Not sure what "-a" means in that case. Thanks a lot for any advice -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

What does "Eris Free" means, from the acronym EFNET

Ok so I have searched google pretty exstensively to find this out, no luck so far . . . Basically I wanted to know what "Eris Free" means, from the acronym EFNET. I was thinking that Eris is generally to do with discordianism, but have so far only found it as a reference to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What does "__FD_PRN_" means in perl code ?

I have seen something like this in a perl code: $_ =~ s/__FD_PRN_/\\(/g What does this "__FD_PRN_" means. I have searched google but was not able to find any info regarding this. Appreciate if some one can refer to a link for these characters. From comments/code it used to substitue "(" with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Means to check if some process is running on "n" number of machines

Team, I would like to know, if we have any command in Solaris to verify, if some process is listening on a port on a set of machines. for eg: Wrote the below script, and found that when a process is listening on that port, then it just waits there and doesnt come out. Rather, I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: msgforsunil
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What does "force devmap reload" as in "multipath -r" means for my system and stability of my system?

Cannot present unpresented disks back again. On a test server tried this as a solution "multipath -r" and it worked. Too worried to try it in production before I know all the information. Any info would be appreciated! Also some links to the documentation on this specific issue could help a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsteppe
1 Replies
RHNREG_KS(8)							   Red Hat, Inc.						      RHNREG_KS(8)

NAME
rhnreg_ks - A program for non interactively registering systems to Spacewalk Server, Red Hat Satellite or Red Hat Network Classic. SYNOPSIS
rhnreg_ks [options] DESCRIPTION
rhnreg_ks is a utility for registering a system with the "Spacewalk Server", "Red Hat Satellite" or "Red Hat Network Classic". It is designed to be used in a non-interactive environment (a kickstart style install, for example). All the information can be specified on the command line or stdin. OPTIONS
--profilename Specify the profile name that should be used as an identifier for the system in Spacewalk Server, Red Hat Satellite or Red Hat Net- work Classic --username The username to register the system with under Spacewalk Server, Red Hat Satellite or Red Hat Network Classic. This can be an exist- ing Spacewalk, Red Hat Satellite or Red Hat Network Classic username, or a new username. --password The password associated with the username specified with the --username option. This is an unencrypted password. --activationkey Specify/use a serial number to associate with the system. This is optional, but activation keys can really simplify the registration process. Learn more about activation keys in the online RHN documentation. --contactinfo This option has been deprecated. Please login to the server web user interface and update your contactinfo. --nohardware Do not probe or upload any hardware information. --nopackages Do not profile or upload any package information. --novirtinfo Do not profile or upload any virtualization information. --norhnsd Do not start rhnsd after completion. --force Register the system even if it has already been registered. --version Show the version of rhnreg_ks. --proxy Specify a HTTP proxy to use. --proxyUser Specify a username to use with an authenticated HTTP proxy. --proxyPassword Specify a password to use with an authenticated HTTP proxy. --sslCACert Specify a path to a SSL CA certificate to use. --serverUrl Specify a URL to as the server. -h, --help Show a help message and exit. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid The digital server ID for this machine if the system has been registered onto "Spacewalk Server", "Red Hat Satellite" or "Red Hat Network Classic". This file does not exist otherwise. /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date The common configuration file used by RHN client programs. EXAMPLES
Register a new system to Spacewalk / Red Hat Satellite / Red Hat Network Classic: rhnreg_ks --profilename "example_profile_name" --username "someexampleuser" --password "foobar" SEE ALSO
rhn_check(8), rhn_register(8), rhnsd(8), rhn-profile-sync(8), rhnplugin(8), up2date(5). AUTHORS
See the AUTHORS file included with this software. This manual page was written by Adrian Likins <alikins@redhat.com> and James Bowes <jbowes@redhat.com> BUGS
Report bugs to <http://bugzilla.redhat.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999-2011 Red Hat, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Linux 2011 February 4 RHNREG_KS(8)