Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Raidz displays incorrect size Post 302375449 by PatrickBaer on Friday 27th of November 2009 08:04:48 PM
Old 11-27-2009
Raidz displays incorrect size

So I just tried what somebody here suggested and set up my backupserver with a zraid2 over 16 disks (4x4 groups)

zpool create tank raidz2 c7t0d0 c7t1d0 and so on.

zpool list showed a correct info about 5,4T in size (I did not use all disks), but when I did a df -h, it showed me only half the size? Then I created a file with mkfile 10G test and it showed up with ls -lh as 10G. But looking at df -h again it showed merely 1.0G used? Odd...

My gosh, I just added the remaining four drives to the pool with zpool add tank raidz2 c7t12d0 c7t13d0 c7t14d0 c7t15d0

It worked, but suddenly the machine died under my fingers, so to speak! My gosh, could somebody please tell me it did not crash because of a single broken disk or something like this? At the moment it responds to ping, but no ssh access.

My god, can somebody please tell em, this is a happy little accident, nothing about zfs crashing from time to time? I have spent the last two months talking colleagues and boss into Solaris and zfs, bought hardware worth 2k+ and if it's all screwed up now, I have to look for a new job, it seems...

F***!

Well I tried an installation on a USB-stick, maybe that's the problem. It showed some strange behaviour, like it crashes when I boot off the USB-stick as a first boot-device. But when I move the cd-rom as the first boot-device and the stick as second, it boots just fine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Displays

I have a TV and a monitor hooked up to my box. Right now the system is displaying all the information on the TV instead of the monitor, obviously I want to switch this, as the TV is very impracticle for everything other than watching movies. I thought I remembered a command I used to use that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Dual Displays HP-UX 10.20

Hello All! Where I work we have C3600's that have a video cards that have both DVI and Regular RBG type monitor ports on them. My question is: is it possible to spread my desktop across two monitors that are plugged into the one card much like you can do with NVIDIA software like NVIEW for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giftedone
0 Replies

3. Linux

Hostname displays incorrectly

hiii, in many of the linux machines i have tried this but the result is the same everywhere. if there are double letters in a hostname then that is displayed as single letter. e.g. if hostname is set to nepttune then login into the shell will display : NEPTUNE(admin)@/ $ hostname... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamik
15 Replies

4. AIX

who -r displays no output

Hello. I have an AIX machine at 6100-00. We had some strange activity since filling up /tmp. One symptom is that who -r displays no output. It doesn't hang just no output is displayed. We are going to boot the machine, but prior to that I'd like to dig a bit to see what may be causing the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maficdan
0 Replies

5. Solaris

swap displays differently

A new x86 server was installed with 16G of memory. The swap space assigned in the prtvtoc is also 16G. But after the installation of the OS and verifying, noticed df -k output for swap shows as 30G. Other systems do not have this characteristic. Whats wrong in here?:eek: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
4 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ZFS Raidz not redundant?

My ZFS on debian media server just died in a power outage, the zpool status shows this: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM tank UNAVAIL 0 0 0 insufficient replicas raidz1 UNAVAIL 0 0 0 corrupted data sda ONLINE 0 0 0 sdb ONLINE 0 0 0 sdf ONLINE 0 0 0 sdh ONLINE 0 0 0 sdi ONLINE 0 0 0 sdk ONLINE 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastersarg
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls -l displays size in KB, MB, GB?

Hi, ls -l displays the long listing of a file in 8 fields. Query: ------ Does ls -l display the filename size in KB or MB or GB? -rwxrwxr-x 1 xx dba 655 May 22 06:27 time Here 655 is KB or MB or GB? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

8. Solaris

iSCSI disk showing incorrect size

Hi, I have a very frustrating issue! I hope you guys can assist When a disk is presented out the iSCSI target display a lower disk capacity SOLARIS VERSION is SOLARIS 10 05/09 Kernel Patch 139555-31 ISCSI Patch 119090-31, 141878-11 Unix Commands To discover Target bash-3.00# i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitalexall
0 Replies

9. Solaris

ls -l displays output with an error

when i use ls command it works normal but when i using additional parameter with ls like ls -l , ls -a... it shows a error followed by the output. # ls -l ./hgfs: Operation not applicable total 12861 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 1 21:12 1 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displays the text upward

I need to print out text from a file in the console up, you know someone like that? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gizmo16
8 Replies
bootconf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       bootconf(4)

NAME
bootconf - boot device configuration table DESCRIPTION
The file contains the address and disk layout type of the system's boot devices or lif volumes. It is used by the and HP-UX kernel control scripts (fileset to determine how and where to update the initial boot loader. Normally the kernel's script queries the system's hardware and creates the file. In rare cases when either the system configuration cannot be automatically determined or additional and/or alternate boot devices should be automatically updated, the administrator must edit the file manually. There is one line in the file for each boot device. Each line contains the following blank-separated fields in the order shown: disk type A flag indicating how the file system(s) on the disk are laid out. The flag must be one of the following: Indicates that the root disk is in LVM or VERITAS Volume Manager (VxVM) format. If LVM or VxVM mirrors are used, then each of the "mirrors" must have its own line in the file. Indicates that the root disk is in the "whole disk" format with no partitions, but boot and swap space are reserved outside the file system. device file The absolute path of the device special file that accesses the physical device where the boot area is located. For LVM root disks, the device special file is the physical volume(s) returned by the command. For "whole disks" this is the device file that references the entire disk. Blank lines are permitted. Any line beginning with a is considered to be a comment. DIAGNOSTICS
The Software Distributor log file contains diagnostic messages under the fileset if the file is incorrect. Most of the messages are self- explanatory; a few warrant additional explanation: If there are no other messages about the file is probably empty. Otherwise, the file is not in the proper format, and the other messages will explain what the problem is. The specified device file does not point to a disk where there is a lif which contains the file Some character other than or is in the first field of a line. As of release 10.0, the boot areas in must all be on the same type of disk layout. There are characters after the device file specification. EXAMPLES
The boot area is on an LVM root disk: l /dev/disk/disk7_p2 The boot area is on a whole disk layout: w /dev/disk/disk7 WARNINGS
All of the boot devices in the file must have the same disk layout. AUTHOR
was developed by the Hewlett-Packard Company. FILES
SEE ALSO
mediainit(1), hpux(1M), hpux.efi(1M), mkboot(1M), vgdisplay(1M), lif(4), intro(7). documentation. bootconf(4)