Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Process stopped: WCHAN pipe_w Post 302373240 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 19th of November 2009 09:39:33 PM
Old 11-19-2009
It's a wait state on read/write against a pipe.

If you own the processes, run strace. I am guessing you'll see your process waiting on a read from some other process. It is called a deadlock condition.

I've only seen pipe_w in Linux so I'm assuming you are on Linux. Your OS information might help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server stopped pinging (in and out)

hi All my Redhat Linux server stopped responding to pings all together. and am also not able to ping out of the box. There are however no issues with internet connectivity and my application is working fine. When I tried to ping another machine (Win98) i could see the pings coming from my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top shows stopped process

When I run the top command, it shows 1 process as being Stopped. This is not a zombie, but simply a stopped process. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to tell which process this is, nor why it is in a stopped state? Any way of finding this out? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IrishRogue
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stopped (tty output)

What is mean by "Stopped (tty output)", how can i get rid of it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chandu
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find which process is stopped

One of my linux machines has a 'stopped' process which i need to find. How do i find the process that is iin 'stopped' mode. I am running red hat linux enterprise. Frank I have now answered this myself with the following command: ps -e j |grep Z (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

to understand stopped process in top

Hi, top process is shows like this in solaris server oracle 8i running: load averages: 5.01, 3.35, 2.82 18:24:45 344 processes: 332 sleeping, 5 running, 2 stopped, 5 on cpu CPU states: 22.2% idle, 29.6% user, 14.7% kernel, 33.5% iowait, 0.0% swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stopped processes

When I try to exit a session, the message 'there are stopped processes' appears and I can not log out? Solution, please? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: operag
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why the nohup-ed background process always is "stopped" ?

I let a script A call script B. I used nohup a.sh &>/tmp/log & In script A it calls B directly, without any redirecting or nohup or background. However A is always "Stopped", while B is running correctly. Anybody knows why? thanks! -----Post Update----- BTW, if I don't use nohup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meili100
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why the nohup-ed background process always is "stopped" ?

I let a script A call script B. I used nohup a.sh &>/tmp/log & In script A it calls B directly, without any redirecting or nohup or background. However A is always "Stopped", while B is running correctly. Anybody knows why? thanks! -----Post Update----- BTW, if I don't use nohup... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Killing A Stopped Process

UNIX Tutorial Five % kill %jobnumber Does that not work on a stopped process? I've tried to kill a stopped process and it is not working. Or do you need a certain type of shell for this to work? I don't see anything about this in my man pages. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

Database replication process stopped in server

Hi, A database (Oracle) replication process was executed by the DBA team in one server (serverX). However, this replication process gets terminated, and there are no errors in the replication log. But there is error in the OS log files (syslog.log) : Aug 8 16:51:47 L28dre02 sshd: subsystem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question record SYNOPSIS
use Net::DNS::Question; $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); DESCRIPTION
A Net::DNS::Question object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10', 'PTR', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10'); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. One or both type and class arguments may be omitted and will assume the default values shown above. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in both in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa namespaces. decode $question = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); ($question, $offset) = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); Decodes the question record at the specified location within a DNS wire-format packet. The first argument is a reference to the buffer containing the packet data. The second argument is the offset of the start of the question record. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. An exception is raised if the object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). encode $data = $question->encode( $offset, $hash ); Returns the Net::DNS::Question in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet buffer. The optional arguments are the offset within the packet data where the Net::DNS::Question is to be stored and a reference to a hash table used to index compressed names within the packet. name $name = $question->name; Internationalised domain name corresponding to the qname attribute. Decoding non-ASCII domain names is computationally expensive and undesirable for names which are likely to be used to construct further queries. When required to communicate with humans, the 'proper' domain name should be extracted from a query or reply packet. $query = new Net::DNS::Packet( $example, 'ANY' ); $reply = $resolver->send($query) or die; ($question) = $reply->question; $name = $question->name; qname, zname $qname = $question->qname; $zname = $question->zname; Canonical ASCII domain name as required for the query subject transmitted to a nameserver. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zname() and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype $qtype = $question->qtype; $ztype = $question->ztype; Returns the question type attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as ztype() and refers to the zone type. qclass, zclass $qclass = $question->qclass; $zclass = $question->zclass; Returns the question class attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zclass() and refers to the zone class. print $object->print; Prints the record to the standard output. Calls the string() method to get the string representation. string print "string = ", $question->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c)1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c)2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c)2003,2006-2011 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl, Net::DNS, Net::DNS::DomainName, Net::DNS::Packet, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.18.2 2014-01-16 Net::DNS::Question(3)