Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers First Three Characters of the first line of a file Post 302370885 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 12th of November 2009 06:17:17 PM
Old 11-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by daPeach
Code:
read -n3 < infile
echo $REPLY

Works nicely in bash/ksh (though not in sh/zsh)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filling in characters to line a file up

Hi there, Ive got a feeling this is quite complex but I have a Comma delimited file which is being transfered up to a mainframe and I have to get every column lining up , I need to add in characters to line it up (but different characters and in different positions based on what field/column it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to count characters by line of file ?

Hello, Member or professional need help how to count characters by line of file Example of the file is here cdr20080817164322811681txt cdr20080817164322811txt cdr20080817164322811683txt cdr20080817164322811684txt I want to count the characters by line of file . The output that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut first 3 characters of each line in a file

Hi Friends I have a file like sample1.txt ------------ 10998909.txt 10898990.txt 1898772222.txt 8980000000000.txt I need to take first 3 characters of each line in a file and i need to print it ' like loop 109 108 189 898 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete new line characters from a file

Hi, I have a file with about 25 colums separated with '~', but few of the lines have extra tabs ('^') and new line characters ('$'). Is there a way I can delete those characters if they are anywhere before the 25th column in a line? example: CLUB000650;12345678;0087788667;NOOP MEMBER ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

New line characters in Ascii file

I am having a file(1234.txt) downloaded from windows server (in Ascii format).However when i ftp this file to Unix server and try to work with it..i am unable to do anything.When i try to open the file using vi editor the file opens in the following format ... @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu2176
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut certain characters for each line in a file

Hi Everyone, i have a file 1.txt <a><a"" dd>aaaaauweopriuew</f><">!(^)!</aa></ff> <a><a"" dd>bbbbbuweopriuew</f><">!(^*)!</aa></ff> i know i can use perl -p -i -e "s/>aaaaa/aa/g" 1.txt perl -p -i -e "s/>bbbbb/bb/g" 1.txt to acheive only keep the first two characters of the five characters,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Remove new line characters from a file

I tried using below command tr -cd "" < InputFile.xml > output.txt ============= This removes all the tabs/newline/extra spaces from a file it successfully removed all the extra spaces,tabs and new line characters but then the complete file become one record. I want to retain one new line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saini
1 Replies

8. Programming

Matching first n characters in a line in a file

hi to all, i am writing a simple file program in C which has to take a string of length n as input and match that input string with first n character of the line in file. if it does not match it has to compare with first n characters of next line. i am finding it difficult to know how exactly to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntrikoti
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find new line characters in a file

Hi All, I need to find new line characters in a file and their location in the file and print the results. can someone pleas help. KM (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying characters on each line in a file

Hello, I would like to copy the first and third char on each line of a file and place them in the 14h and 17th char positions. The file name is listed first and is 6 char's and the dir name is second and also same char size on each line. The file has thousands of lines. Initial... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmm
6 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)