Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output columns needs to be aligned Post 302369042 by nkamalkishore on Friday 6th of November 2009 09:37:23 AM
Old 11-06-2009
I'm displaying the output using the below echo statement

echo " $line $TAB $TAB $line2 $TAB $TAB $(head -1 /tmp/alias_names.list) $TAB $TAB $TAB $(awk -F" " '{print $2}' /tmp/port.list) "

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

df output is not aligned.

When I issue a "df" command the columns of the output are not aligned. QMN012:.../oracle> df -k Filesystem 1024-blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/hd4 524288 439592 17% 5423 6% / /dev/M121A_HOME 3080192 2343764 24% 7263 2%... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcogilbert
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying Output in Columns

I'm writing a script to analyze the logs of an smtp relay machine and I'd like the final output to be displayed in columns showing results from the previous day, week, month, and 45 days. The problem I'm running into is that I can't figure out how to display the columns neatly so there is no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjamd64
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Error: Memory Address Not aligned

Hi, The following error message occured when I was trying to reboot my SUN machine: Memory address not aligned Its a Sun 280 R , Ultra SPARC III What should I do. Varma (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunnervarma
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash scripting] Generating a table with aligned fields

Hi everyone, I want to write a function which calculates the space needed between fields, to generate a table with aligned fields, like when you type "ls -l", the operating system generates a table with beautifully aligned fields. I've got this code so far: for line in $(cat tmpSearch)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aveltium
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL output vertically aligned?

I used the SQL query (taken from other threads here) to get the expected values to be written into a file. myQuery=`sqlplus -s cr_appsrvr/appsrvr@qwi << EndofFile set heading off; set tab off; set wrap off; set pages 0; set feedback off; SELECT CLEARINGHOUSE_TRACE_NUM, INSURED_ID FROM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swame_sp
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Partition 0 not aligned on cylinder boundary: "

hi Guys .. user want mirror disk c3t9d0 (running ) to c2t9d0 (fresh hdd). when i tried to bash : prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c3t9d0s2 | fmthard -s- /dev/rdsk/c2t9d0s2 it showing following error Partition 0 not aligned on cylinder boundary: " 0 4 222 ..... unable to mirror .... plz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolboys
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine columns from many files but keep them aligned in columns-shorter left column issue

Hello everyone, I searched the forum looking for answers to this but I could not pinpoint exactly what I need as I keep having trouble. I have many files each having two columns and hundreds of rows. first column is a string (can have many words) and the second column is a number.The files are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: isildur1234
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SH] TUI not always properly aligned

Heyas I havent found a thread to introduce, so i combine it with the issue i have. EDIT /* Removed Problem because solved */ My first contact with Linux was back in 1995 with slackware, beeing a gamer back then, i (sadly) didnt bother to dig deeper. I finaly joined the Linux community in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-aligned text file into one raw

Hi, Anyone can help on how to re-aligned the data into one raw; Input Text File: TESTA Carbon A China 06/28/2016 Active Vol. 8210, No. 2048, New Era 02/25/2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fspalero
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail sent from variable is not aligned in shell script

Hi Folks :( Scenario, Compared two values in two different files, if file1 value is greater than the value of file2 it trigger mail, I tried this, echo ${usep}; echo ${usep1}; for i in ${!usep}; do if } -gt 80 ]; then if } -gt ${usep1} ]; then ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: viay
9 Replies
expand(1)							   User Commands							 expand(1)

NAME
expand, unexpand - expand TAB characters to SPACE characters, and vice versa SYNOPSIS
expand [-t tablist] [file...] expand [-tabstop] [ -tab1, tab2,. . ., tabn] [file...] unexpand [-a] [-t tablist] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The expand utility copies files (or the standard input) to the standard output, with TAB characters expanded to SPACE characters. BACKSPACE characters are preserved into the output and decrement the column count for TAB calculations. expand is useful for pre-processing character files (before sorting, looking at specific columns, and so forth) that contain TAB characters. unexpand copies files (or the standard input) to the standard output, putting TAB characters back into the data. By default, only leading SPACE and TAB characters are converted to strings of tabs, but this can be overridden by the -a option (see the OPTIONS section below). OPTIONS
The following options are supported for expand: -t tablist Specifies the tab stops. The argument tablist must consist of a single positive decimal integer or multiple posi- tive decimal integers, separated by blank characters or commas, in ascending order. If a single number is given, tabs will be set tablist column positions apart instead of the default 8. If multiple numbers are given, the tabs will be set at those specific column positions. Each tab-stop position N must be an integer value greater than zero, and the list must be in strictly ascending order. This is taken to mean that, from the start of a line of output, tabbing to position N causes the next char- acter output to be in the (N+1)th column position on that line. In the event of expand having to process a tab character at a position beyond the last of those specified in a mul- tiple tab-stop list, the tab character is replaced by a single space character in the output. -tabstop Specifies as a single argument, sets TAB characters tabstop SPACE characters apart instead of the default 8. -tab1,tab2,...,tabn Sets TAB characters at the columns specified by -tab1,tab2,...,tabn The following options are supported for unexpand: -a Inserts TAB characters when replacing a run of two or more SPACE characters would produce a smaller output file. -t tablist Specifies the tab stops. The option-argument tablist must be a single argument consisting of a single positive decimal integer or multiple positive decimal integers, separated by blank characters or commas, in ascending order. If a single number is given, tabs will be set tablist column positions apart instead of the default 8. If multiple numbers are given, the tabs will be set at those specific column positions. Each tab-stop position N must be an integer value greater than zero, and the list must be in strictly ascending order. This is taken to mean that, from the start of a line of output, tabbing to position N will cause the next character output to be in the (N+1)th column position on that line. When the -t option is not specified, the default is the equivalent of specifying -t 8 (except for the interaction with -a, described below). No space-to-tab character conversions occur for characters at positions beyond the last of those specified in a multiple tab-stop list. When -t is specified, the presence or absence of the -a option is ignored; conversion will not be limited to the processing of leading blank characters. OPERANDS
The following ooperand is supported for expand and unexpand: file The path name of a text file to be used as input. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of expand and unexpand: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
tabs(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 expand(1)