Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VSFTPD & SSL Certificates
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers VSFTPD & SSL Certificates Post 302366222 by mokachoka on Thursday 29th of October 2009 08:15:49 AM
Old 10-29-2009
VSFTPD & SSL Certificates

Hello all Smilie

I need a little advice on securing my VSFTPD server. I currently have it setup and working using a self signed certificate by following instructions on the net and im happy with it to a certain extent.

One of my clients is not... He said he cannot connect to the server unless he has the certificate to add to his client. I sent him the vsftpd.pem file i had created using the online tutorial but he told me this was not what he was looking for. So im stuck, im not sure what i should be sending him and if thats not what he was looking for what the hell have i just sent him? Have i just given him a confidential file?

I also thought that it could be because the certificate is self signed and he might require a signed certificate?

in my vsftpd.conf the certificate section looks like this...
Code:
ssl_enable=YES
allow_anon_ssl=NO
force_local_data_ssl=YES
force_local_logins_ssl=YES
ssl_tlsv1=NO
ssl_sslv2=YES
ssl_sslv3=YES
rsa_cert_file=/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.pem
rsa_private_key_file=/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.key
pam_service_name=vsftpd

Can someone who knows a bit more about this fill me in? Thank you in advance.

---------- Post updated at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:30 AM ----------

I believe i might of found what i need to do.

I think i need to extract the public key and crt from the .pem file. How can this be achived?

Apparently the file the client needs is either a .key and a .crt (im guessing these must be public) or a .p12 / .pfk

Can someone please help, time is not on my side.

Last edited by pludi; 10-29-2009 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

FTP problem in vsftpd & NcFTPd both

Hello Gurus, after installtion and configuration of vsftpd and NcFTPd, i could able to ftp from another Linux server but not from other windows cmd prompt. :mad: It show user/PASS need to be provided :( its not even prompting for username and password. :( Y it differs from windows and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up VSFTPD (force SSL?)

Hi all, Im having trouble setting up an FTP server and forcing SSL. At the moment i can connect to the server externally using normal FTP but when i try FTP with SSL i get STATUS:> Connected. Exchanging encryption keys... ERROR:> SSL: Error in negotiating... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VSFTPD - User or IP based SSL encryption?

Is there a way i can only force SSL encryption if they connect from outside our network OR allow certain IP's to connect without using encryption? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
0 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

expiration of SSL Certificates

Does anyone know how to extract the expiration date of a Solaris 9 certificate? I have searched over the 'net and it seems this command ssl-cert-check comes up often but this does not work on my servers. Not sure how to extraxt the expiration dates of the SSL Certs so if anyone can help that would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Weird "security" bahavior with SSL certificates

Hello, I have been attempting to automate the addition of SSL certificates to keychains on a MAC using the "security" command. I've noticed two things, 1 of which I don't understand. 1. If I use something like "security add-trusted-cert -d -k /System/Library/Keychains/SystemRootCertificates... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prafulnama
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

vsftpd with ssl support on rhel5 64 bit

Hi Friends, I am trying to configure vsftpd server 2.0.5 on rhel5 64 bit installation. I am getting an error when initiating an ssl connection. I am using filezilla 3.0 ftp client. Client is specifically using passive mode connection. I can see the client is able to connect to the server,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
0 Replies

7. AIX

Creation of SSL certificates

Can someone guide me as to how SSL certificates are created for a new AIX box? I am a novice to system administration. Thanks in advance Gayathri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vsftpd with SSL

Hi there. Im studying and i've got an exercise that i cannot fully understand. Im trying and testing, but it didnt works What i need to configure ftps ( vsftpd ) with openssl? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andriusman
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing SSL certificates on Ubuntu Server 12.04

Hi everyone, I am working on a Nginx + Apache installation for learning purposes, and just got to the point of installing a self-signed certificate for securing some pages that will be used to send "sensitive" information such as login credentials. So far so good. What a I want to know is how can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot run git nor brew: 'SSL: can't load CA certificate file ~/Documents/Certificates.pem'

Hello All, 0. Firstly, I am not very Unix savvy. For instance, I don't know what the purpose of certificates are, and I don't know if this is the right forum for this question. 1. The problem: I can't use homebrew or use git. Running git pull, for instance, gives the following error: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaac_caswell
2 Replies
certtool(1)						      General Commands Manual						       certtool(1)

NAME
certtool - Manipulate certificates and keys. SYNOPSIS
certtool [options] DESCRIPTION
Generate X.509 certificates, certificate requests, and private keys. OPTIONS
Program control options -d, --debug LEVEL Specify the debug level. Default is 1. -h, --help Shows this help text -v, --version Shows the program's version Getting information on X.509 certificates -i, --certificate-info Print information on a certificate. -k, --key-info Print information on a private key. -l, --crl-info Print information on a CRL. --p12-info Print information on a PKCS #12 structure. Getting information on Openpgp certificates --pgp--certificate-info Print information on an OpenPGP certificate. --pgp--key-info Print information on an OpenPGP private key. --pgp--ring-info Print information on a keyring. Generating/verifying X.509 certificates/keys -c, --generate-certificate Generate a signed certificate. -e, --verify-chain Verify a PEM encoded certificate chain. The last certificate in the chain must be a self signed one. --generate-dh-params Generate PKCS #3 encoded Diffie-Hellman parameters. --load-ca-certificate FILE Certificate authority's certificate file to use. --load-ca-privkey FILE Certificate authority's private key file to use. --load-certificate FILE Certificate file to use. --load-privkey FILE Private key file to use. --load-request FILE Certificate request file to use. -p, --generate-privkey Generate a private key. -q, --generate-request Generate a PKCS #10 certificate request. -s, --generate-self-signed Generate a self-signed certificate. -u, --update-certificate Update a signed certificate. Controlling output -8, --pkcs8 Use PKCS #8 format for private keys. --dsa Generate a DSA key. --bits BITS Specify the number of bits for key generation. --export-ciphers Use weak encryption algorithms. --inraw Use RAW/DER format for input certificates and private keys. --infile FILE Input file. --outraw Use RAW/DER format for output certificates and private keys. --outfile FILE Output file. --password PASSWORD Password to use. --to-p12 Generate a PKCS #12 structure. --template Use a template file to read input. See the doc/certtool.cfg in the distribution, for an example. --fix-key Some previous versions of certtool generated wrongly the optional parameters in a private key. This may affect programs that used them. To fix an old private key use --key-info in combination with this parameter. --v1 When generating a certificate use the X.509 version 1 format. This does not add any extensions (such as indication for a CA) but some programs do need these. EXAMPLES
To create a private key, run: $ certtool --generate-privkey --outfile key.pem To create a certificate request (needed when the certificate is issued by another party), run: $ certtool --generate-request --load-privkey key.pem --outfile request.pem To generate a certificate using the previous request, use the command: $ certtool --generate-certificate --load-request request.pem --outfile cert.pem --load-ca-certificate ca-cert.pem --load-ca-privkey ca-key.pem To generate a certificate using the private key only, use the command: $ certtool --generate-certificate --load-privkey key.pem --outfile cert.pem --load-ca-certificate ca-cert.pem --load-ca-privkey ca-key.pem To view the certificate information, use: $ certtool --certificate-info --infile cert.pem To generate a PKCS #12 structure using the previous key and certificate, use the command: $ certtool --load-certificate cert.pem --load-privkey key.pem --to-p12 --outder --outfile key.p12 AUTHOR
Nikos Mavroyanopoulos <nmav@gnutls.org> and others; see /usr/share/doc/gnutls-bin/AUTHORS for a complete list. This manual page was written by Ivo Timmermans <ivo@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). May 23rd 2005 certtool(1)