Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cron 80 characters limit
Operating Systems HP-UX cron 80 characters limit Post 302365517 by MartinF on Tuesday 27th of October 2009 09:41:48 AM
Old 10-27-2009
cron 80 characters limit

Hello everyone.
I am trying to set up a monitor based on a "top" command statistic as follows:
top -bc -n1 > output.txt

I've put this command into a small script which is called by a cron... but there is something strange happening: the cron is limiting the output to output.txt to 80 characters.
If I call this script from a standart command line, evenrything is fine, no wrapping is occuring.
I'm using a HP-UX shell.
I red somewhere on internet that it could be a case of wrong editor - but that's not my case.

Could please advice?
Thank you.

Martin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit of no of characters PER LINE in a unix file

Hi , Whats the limit of characters PER LINE in a unix file , allowed for editing..sort , cut , sed , awk etc (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohapatra
5 Replies

2. AIX

AIX and cron logs filtering ?: /etc/cronlog.conf, /var/adm/cron/log

Hi, I can use 'crontabs –e' and do all the scheduling I like. However I would like to auto send myself just the cronjobs logs that fail. That is to say the PIDs that fail and the related lines with those PID’s only. (Not the full set of logs) Has anyone done this work? Or does an AIX 5.3 tool... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Johnson
0 Replies

3. AIX

Is the Length of User ID for AIX Limit to 8 Characters?

Hi, I'm using AIX version 5.3 currently. I'm trying to create a user id, e.g. andyleong, which the system prompted the length is too long. 1. I would like to know is that the length of user id is limited to maximum 8 characters for AIX. 2. Is it apply to all versions of AIX? If no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meihua_t
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Limit on Number of Cron Jobs Running on one Account

Hello, I have some 150 Cron Jobs running under my UNIX account. I want to add some more jobs. Is there a limit to the number of cron jobs that can be run on an account? Thank you. Pramodini (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramodini Rode
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit on Number of characters in a line - Vi editor

In the vi editor, there seems to be some limit on the number of characters could be allowed in single line. I tried a line with characters up to 1880. It worked. But when i tried with something of 5000 characters, it doesnt work. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit the number of characters in a bash output

I have a script that outputs the weather on two lines. If possibly I would like to set a character limit on them Currently it outputs something like but I would like to limit the lines so appends an ellipsis if nescessary: This is the script #! /bin/bash curl -s --connect-timeout... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Light_
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Limit: stacksize: Can't remove limit

Hi all, I'm using to Solaris machine. When I run a simple script this messenger come out:"limit: stacksize: Can't remove limit". Any one know the way to resolve this problem without reboot the machine? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diabolist9
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit reoccurrance of characters in lines

Hey guys and gals, Working on a script to limit the reoccurrance of characters in a line. sed "/\(.\).*\1/d" -i file.txt sed "/\(.\).*\1.*\1/d" -i file.txt sed "/\(.\).*\1.*\1.*1/d" -i file.txt .. To limit character reoccurance with 1x, 2x, 3x etc. However I would like to be able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit the number of characters in bash output

Hi, I need some help with this: I'm making a script which does a couple of things with image files. The script is supposed to echo the number of each image it is processing like this: Processing image1.jpgThe problem is with images with very long filenames, so I want to know how to limit the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shadow_Reaper
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution problem with Cron: Script works manually but not w/Cron. Why?

Hello gurus, I am making what I think is a simple db2 call from within a shell script but I am having difficulty producing the desired report when I run the script shown below from a shell script in cron. For example, my script and the crontab file setup is shown below: #!/bin/ksh db2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: okonita
3 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)