Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers User should be restricted moving a folder Post 302364968 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 24th of October 2009 07:23:37 PM
Old 10-24-2009
I would start with something like this:
Code:
find /abc -exec ls -ld {} \;
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2009-10-25 00:44 /abc
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 2009-10-25 00:45 /abc/dev
drwxrwxr-x 2 root abcusers 4096 2009-10-25 00:44 /abc/dev/source
drwxrwxr-x 2 root abcusers 4096 2009-10-25 00:45 /abc/dev/inbox
drwxrwxr-x 2 root abcusers 4096 2009-10-25 00:45 /abc/dev/target
drwxrwxr-x 2 root abcusers 4096 2009-10-25 00:45 /abc/dev/logs

You can make anyone who needs write access to the four directories a member of the group abcusers. You may also need to set the setgid on those 4 directories if more departments are sharing (and/or use umask 002).

S.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Restricted user

A few of the other employees here need to learn "vi" in order to use crontab to schedule / unschedule jobs on one of our production servers. I tried to set up a login on one of my Linux boxes for them to use "vimtutor", but scrapped it and decided to try for something more secure, since there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving Files from one folder to another folder

Hi, I have a folder which contain the log files. The folder may contain sub folders as well. I want to move the contents of the log folder to tmp folder periodically. I have used the command. LOG_DIR=/logs DESTINATION_DIR=/tmp/logs find ${LOG_DIR} -mtime +1 -exec mv {}... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: farooqpervaiz
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To provide restricted access to certain user's on linux box

Hi, I need to provide execute access to certain users and not to all users For ex: if ther is a file /home/august/aug.sh. and there are user's like jan,feb,mar,april,May and jan is the owner of that box. I need to provide execute access to feb and mar only. I also know the root pwd for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
3 Replies

4. AIX

A user with restricted ftp access to a folder

Hi, We have Oracle Database on AIX 5.3 server.We want to give ftp access to a user to a specific folder.He should be able to put and get files from that specific folder only.Moreover he should not be able to cd to any other filesystems also along with root directory. Please note that as per... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to create a restricted user(Centos)

Hi, I am a newbie to Linux and I want to create a user which can only execute network config commands like ifconfig and ping(to check the config). The following is what I did but failed. 1) Created a group called 'netconfig'. 2) added a user named 'user'. 3) added user to the 'netconfig'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankushpandit
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Create user with Restricted Space usage

Hi, What is the command or how to create a user with the restricted usage of space on a disk. Also let me know how to change the limit of the space size allotted in future for the same user. ~Vinodh Kumar V M (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
3 Replies

7. Solaris

create a restricted user

I have solaris 10 os 64 bit. I need to create a restricted user which has the following command to run ls df and du list crontab of root and edit crontab of root also please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reyazan
2 Replies

8. AIX

Restricted user

Hello everyone I need to create a restricted user or a special user. Here is what I need. I have this path next to profiles I have server1, server2, server3....... The user that I have to create I need that he can move between server1. server2, server3 because in every one have logs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

9. Debian

Create restricted user for programs

want to create a user account for each of the key programs installed on my debian server. For example, for the following programs: Tomcat Nginx Supervisor PostgreSQL This seems to be recommended based on my reading online. However, I want to restrict these user accounts as much as possible,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spadez
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for moving folder specific files into target directory of that country folder.

I need help to write shell script to copy files from one server to another server. Source Directory UAE(inside i have another folder Misc with files inside UAE folder).I have to copy this to another server UAE folder( Files should be copied to UAE folder and Misc files should be copied in target... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh2389
3 Replies
folders(1)						      General Commands Manual							folders(1)

NAME
folders - list folders and contents (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
folders [+folder] [msg] [options] OPTIONS
Lists only the name of folders, with no additional information. This is faster because the folders need not be read. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Lists the contents of the folder-stack. No +folder argument is allowed with this option. Re-numbers mes- sages in the folders. Messages are re-numbered sequentially, and any gaps in the numbering are removed. The default operation is -nopack, which does not change the numbering in the folder. Discards the top of the folder-stack, after setting the current folder to that value. No +folder argument is allowed with this option. This corresponds to the popd operation in the C-shell; see csh(1). The -push and -pop options are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other. Pushes the current folder onto the folder-stack, and makes the +folder argument into the current folder. If +folder is not given, the current folder and the top of the folder-stack are exchanged. This corresponds to the pushd operation in the C-shell; see csh(1). The -push switch and the -pop switch are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other. Lists folders recur- sively. Information on each folder is displayed, followed by information on any sub-folders which it contains. Displays only the total number of messages and folders in your Mail directory. This option does not print any information about individual folders. It can be sup- pressed using the -nototal option. The defaults for folders are: +folder defaults to all msg defaults to none -nofast -noheader -nototal -nopack -norecurse DESCRIPTION
The folders command displays the names of your folders and the number of messages that they each contain. The folders command displays a list of all the folders in your Mail directory. The folders are sorted alphabetically, each on its own line. This is illustrated in the following example: Folder # of messages ( range ); cur msg (other files) V2.3 has 3 messages ( 1- 3). adrian has 20 messages ( 1- 20); cur= 2. brian has 16 messages ( 1- 16). chris has 12 messages ( 1- 12). copylog has 242 messages ( 1- 242); cur= 225. inbox+ has 73 messages ( 1- 127); cur= 127. int has 4 messages ( 1- 4); cur= 2 (others). jack has 17 messages ( 1- 17); cur= 17. TOTAL= 387 messages in 8 folders. The plus sign (+) after inbox indicates that it is the current folder. The information about the int folder includes the term (others). This indicates that the folder int contains files which are not messages. These files may be either sub-folders, or files that do not belong under the MH file naming scheme. The folders command is identical to the effect of using the -all option to the folder command. If you use folders with the +folder argument, it will display all the subfolders within the named folder. as shown in the following exam- ple: % folders +test Folder # of messages ( range ); cur msg (other files) test+ has 18 messages ( 1- 18); (others). test/testone has 1 message ( 1- 1). test/testtwo has no messages. TOTAL= 19 messages in 3 folders. See refile(1) for more details of sub-folders. RESTRICTIONS
MH does not allow you to have more than 100 folders at any level in your Mail directory. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your MH directory Folder-Protect: To set protections when creating a new folder Folder-Stack: To determine the folder stack lsproc: Program to list the contents of a folder FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
csh(1), folder(1), refile(1), mhpath(1) folders(1)