Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Duplicate directory in same partition help. Post 302364152 by Scott on Thursday 22nd of October 2009 07:51:43 AM
Old 10-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Check the output of 'ls -lb'. Any non-printing characters should show up escaped, in case the second directory has them.

If that doesn't help try running an fsck on the mount in question.
Yes, thanks! (I always type ls -ld out of habit)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove duplicate files in a directory

Hi ppl. I have to check for duplicate files in a directory . the directory has following files /the/folder /containing/the/file a1.yyyymmddhhmmss a1.yyyyMMddhhmmss b1.yyyymmddhhmmss b2.yyyymmddhhmmss c.yyyymmddhhmmss d.yyyymmddhhmmss d.yyyymmddhhmmss where the date time stamp can be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asinha63
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script that detects duplicate files in directory

I need help with a script which accepts one argument and goes through all the files under a directory and prints a list of possible duplicate files As its output, it prints zero or more lines, each one containing a space-separated list of filenames. All the files listed on one line have the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trueman82
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete duplicate files from one of two directory structures

Hello everyone, I have been struggling to clean up a back-up mess I created when manually duplicating a directory structure and then working in both of them.. The structures now are significantly different and contain in the order of 15 k files of which most are duplicates. Now I am trying to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: procreator
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate files in same directory

Hi all. Am doing continuous backup of mailboxes using rsync. So whenever a new mail arrives it is automatically copied on backup server. When a new mail arrives it is named as xyz:2, when it is read by the email client an S is appended xyz:2,S Eventually , 2 copies of the same file exist on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to scrub directory only if on own partition/drive?

Hi all, I've been working on a script to run a disk wipe (using Jim Garlick's scrub tool) on the filesystem in Xerox production printer RIPs. Easy enough if there's just one partition, but I need to cater for the possibility of multiple drives/partitions, and either ZFS or UFS (don't know if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidDawesFXA
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicate home directory

Hi, I'm running a RHEL6 machine on a VMWare platform and I have somehow created a duplicate /home directory. See below. # pwd /home/home/twood # ls Desktop Documents Downloads Music Pictures Public Templates Videos # I am currently working on some disk quota procedures and I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjwops
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
DISKTAB(5)							File Formats Manual							DISKTAB(5)

NAME
disktab - disk description file SYNOPSIS
#include <disktab.h> DESCRIPTION
Disktab is a simple date base which describes disk geometries and disk partition characteristics. The format is patterned after the term- cap(5) terminal data base. Entries in disktab consist of a number of `:' separated fields. The first entry for each disk gives the names which are known for the disk, separated by `|' characters. The last name given should be a long name fully identifying the disk. The following list indicates the normal values stored for each disk entry. Name Type Description ns num Number of sectors per track nt num Number of tracks per cylinder nc num Total number of cylinders on the disk b0 str Filename of block zero primary bootstrap for device ba num Block size for partition `a' (bytes) bd num Block size for partition `d' (bytes) be num Block size for partition `e' (bytes) bf num Block size for partition `f' (bytes) bg num Block size for partition `g' (bytes) bh num Block size for partition `h' (bytes) fa num Fragment size for partition `a' (bytes) fd num Fragment size for partition `d' (bytes) fe num Fragment size for partition `e' (bytes) ff num Fragment size for partition `f' (bytes) fg num Fragment size for partition `g' (bytes) fh num Fragment size for partition `h' (bytes) pa num Size of partition `a' in sectors pb num Size of partition `b' in sectors pc num Size of partition `c' in sectors pd num Size of partition `d' in sectors pe num Size of partition `e' in sectors pf num Size of partition `f' in sectors pg num Size of partition `g' in sectors ph num Size of partition `h' in sectors se num Sector size in bytes (default 512) sf bool supports bad144-style bad sector forwarding so bool partition offsets in sectors ty str Type of disk (e.g. removable, winchester) Disktab entries may be automatically generated with the diskpart program. FILES
/etc/disktab SEE ALSO
newfs(8), diskpart(8), getdiskbyname(3) BUGS
This file shouldn't exist, the information should be stored on each disk pack. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 17, 1986 DISKTAB(5)