Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Easy Script, just to find the given username if is it online or not Post 302361789 by thegeek on Wednesday 14th of October 2009 06:11:29 AM
Old 10-14-2009
Ya, you are right.

Exclude the first line, and have all the remaining lines in the script. Execute the script, which would ask you a user name and finds out whether that persons is logged in or not.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find who fingered my username

Hi Everyone, Whenever someone uses the finger command against my username, he.she gets my info. Is there a way to find who ran the command against my username, somewhat like a log file for the finger command. I would be greatful if someone to clear my query. Regards Anirudh Koul... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anirudhkoul
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find, make and move file based on username

hi there, i'm new to UNIX( just 3month used), i found my new box contained alot of files and directories in /home/box/ i've tried to search script in tis forum and found many of them but, i don't know how to combine them to make a script, although using pipes. my tasks are: 1) to scan user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Helmi
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help on installing an EASY to use and easy to install command line text editor

Hi again. Sorry if it seems like I'm spamming the boards a bit, but I figured I might as well ask all the questions I need answers to at once, and hopefully at least get some. I have installed Solaris 10 on a server. The default text editors are there (vi, ex, ed, maybe others, I know emacs is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EugeneG
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find username of user running the script

Hello All, If I have a simple cgi script and want to find the name of the person accessing the page, is it possible? How do I get the name of this user? Please help. I was trying a vague method but it doesn't seem to work with all browsers and versions ... $val=$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'}; $name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garric
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the username in /etc/passwd file

Hi, I need to a shell script to list out only the username in the /etc/passwd file. Regards Siva (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find any device online/offline

what is the command for checking which device active and which is not active (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

grep file to find unique instances of username

hello - A SystemOut.log file has recurring entries that follow this format: Principal: auth9.nick.al.gov:389/USERNAME Over the course of a day thousands of lines similar to this are produced, with each username represented hundreds of times. I need to create a new file that shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1075FJ40
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

iptables - most easy way to find rule and remove it?

I have situation where I have rules in iptables with comments. Now... I can for example enter rule like "iptables -A FORWARD -s xxx -j ACCEPT" and delete it with "iptables -D FORWARD -s xxx -j ACCEPT".. but if that rule contain some random comment (-m comment) then ... ? I can find with scripting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkman_hr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep with 'who' to find online users

solved (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: subway69
3 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)