Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash: Catching the returncode from a script and using within another script? Post 302361153 by dr.house on Monday 12th of October 2009 11:13:26 AM
Old 10-12-2009
I'll try to, giving a different example, though:

Script 1

Code:
#! /bin/bash
exit 1

Script 2

Code:
#! /bin/bash
./script1.bash
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
  echo "ok"
else
  echo "ko"
fi
echo "$?"
exit 0

Results

Code:
[house@leonov] ./script2.bash
ko

The point I'm driving at: $? always refers to the exit state of the last command executed - which in both my and your example is 'echo' (!).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script: issue changing directories in script

I am working on a script that checks two arguments at the command line. The first argument is a search pattern, the second can be a file or a directory, if it is a file a second script is called that checks it for the search pattern. If the second argument is a directory, it checks for the search... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breakology
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Catching the termination of one script

Hi I have a Shell script that needs to execute a command at the End of the excursion of other script And I cant get a handel On the trap command. And that is if the trap command Is the proper way to go this is a extract of the script MYHOST=`hostname| cut -d. -f1` echo $MYHOST ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ex-Capsa
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Catching SIG of running process with bash

Hello all! I'm writing a script that will catch when an outside process crashes (SIGHUP, right?) without having to loop into infinity. With that in mind, I came across the trap utility and thought if could be used to monitor another process other than it's own. But from what I've read, I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mashiox
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a Perl script in a Bash script -Odd Situation

I am creating a startup script for an application. This application's startup script is in bash. It will also need to call a perl script (which I will not be able to modify) for the application environment prior to calling the application. The problem is that this perl script creates a new shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to ping the servers and rename the output file each time the script is ran

HI, I have a file serverlist in that all host names are placed. i have written a small script #./testping #! /bin/bash for i in `cat serverlist` do ping $i >> output.txt done so now it creates a file output.txt till here fine.. now each time i run this script the output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeva
4 Replies

6. Programming

CGI Perl script to execute bash script- unable to create folder

Hi I have a bash script which takes parameters sh /tmp/gdg.sh -b BASE-NAME -n 1 -s /source/data -p /dest/data/archive -m ARC gdg.sh will scan the /source/data and will move the contents to /dest/data/archive after passing through some filters. Its working superb from bash I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script called in loop from Bash Script

Having issues with an expect script. I've been scripting bash, python, etc... for a couple years now, but just started to try and use Expect. Trying to create a script that takes in some arguments, and then for now, just runs a pwd command(for testing, final will be command I pass). Here is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a Perl script within a bash script and store the ouput in a .txt file

I'm attempting to write a bash script that will create a network between virtual machines. It accepts three arguments: an RSpec that describes the network topology, and two list of machines (servers and clients). I have a (working) Perl script that I want to call. This Perl script takes an RSpec... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecaka
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Acces Variable from expect-Script in bash-Script

Hi all, I have a little problem with a expect in a bash Script. The hull of my script: #!/bin/sh ( expect -c ' set a \"eee\"; # the variable a ' ) echo $a; # using the variable out of the expect script I would like to use the variable out of the expect script(in bash),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandalfthepink
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)