Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there a way to tee stderr from a command that's redirecting error to a file? Post 302356166 by sumgi on Thursday 24th of September 2009 05:52:46 PM
Old 09-24-2009
I have come to a solution but I doubt I will use it since it involves editing users commands dynamically.

My solution comes in two parts:

1. Use a recursive function to track down any error redirection in the issued command:

• Return nothing if redirection is not taking place
  • If redirection is to another channel (Ex: Stdout is channel 1) call the function again on the new channel, if the function returns nothing pass the channel otherwise pass the returned value
  • Return the file being redirected to if there is one
  • Return null if the user is redirecting to /dev/null or has turned off that channel(Ex. #>&-)

2. Use named pipes created from the mkfifo command to redirect errors from the users command to both the user file and a temp file to use by the wrapper.

Then when I think about redirection happening before a pipe

Ex:
Code:
du -sk /path/* 2> log/du.err | sort -rn > log/sort.log 2>&1

Now I would need to run the command through a loop and do this process for each piped command, creating a named pipe for each redirection.

If someone sees an easier way great but this is the only way I see to do it. It's my opinion that telling users the errors will be located in a master log file will be easier.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stderr while live

If I forget to set up stderr redirection on execution of a script, is there a way to set that redirection post-exec? In other words, if I have a script running and no errors are being logged... and then I remember that I forgot the 2>&1 on the script... can I turn it on after the fact? ...and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjinno
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stderr problem

% ls -ld /usr /foo ls: /foo: No such file or directory drwxr-xr-x 14 root wheel 512 May 18 02:49 /usr % ls -ld /usr /foo 1>/dev/null/ /dev/null/: Not a directory. % ls -ld /usr /foo 2>/dev/null/ /dev/null/: Not a directory. ^^Why why why doesn't this work for me. Furthermore, where is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use tee with stdout and stderr?

I have been doing this: make xyz &> xyz.log &; tail -f xyz.log The problem with this is that you never can ge sure when "make xyz" is done. How can I pipe both stderr and stdout into tee so both stderr and stdout are copied both to the display and to the log file? Thanks, Siegfried (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to a file from within a bash script

I am trying to redirect the output from stderr to a log file from within a bash script. the script is to long to add 2> $logfile to the end of each command. I have been trying to do it with the command exec 2> $logfile This mostly works. Unfortunately, when a read command requires that anything be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vockleya
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR to file & terminal using tee

Hi All, Solarix/Bash v3x Im trying to output any standard errors created by the script to a file using the below command: . runDTE.sh 2> "$DTE_ERROR_FILE" however the errors do get written to the dir/file stored in $DTE_ERROR_FILE but the error does not appear on the terminal screen in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting screen to file without tee

Hi All, I need to redirect screen o/p of shell script to file , but I don't want to use "tee" :Dcommand ./test.sh 2>&1 | tee /var/tmp/testing`date +'%d%h%Y%T'`.log but I want to write some code inside the shell script itself so wen I execute ./test.sh it will display o/p in screen... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to file and screen, STDOUT only to file

I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file but STDOUT only to the same file. I have searched in this formum for a solution, but something like srcipt 3>&1 >&2 2>&3 3>&- | tee errs doesn't work for me... Has anyone an idea??? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuranga
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required with Stderr and tee command

Hello All, I have a requirement to redirect stdout and stderr to 'log' file and stderr alone to 'err' file. Can someone please help me with this? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_trl
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Confused about redirecting stderr

I know that mmmmm 2> error.txt will send the error message to the specified file instead of the screen. However, I have seen >&2 in some scripts, and I can't get it to do anything. A source said it sends stdout and stderr to a file. What file? Ubuntu 18.04.2; Xfce 4.12.3;... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
11 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)