Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to BackUp Solaris 5.8 OS ? Post 302354873 by choogendyk on Sunday 20th of September 2009 04:15:25 PM
Old 09-20-2009
I use fssnap and ufsdump for regular backups by way of Amanda. I have run trials of recovering a system from ufsdumps. Boot off CDROM, plumb network interface, temporarily open up rsh between the two machines on our local private network, and do a ufsrestore from a remote tape drive. Instructions for all of that are in the Systems Administration documentation collection for Solaris on docs.sun.com. If you have a local tape drive, of course, it is slightly easier. I actually had to do the disaster recovery for an E450 running Solaris 8 using a remote tape drive a few years ago. It worked.

For an additional option, I'm in the process of setting up a custom boot CD that contains the Amanda client for a special recovery identity (so it is already set up on our DNS with an IP and doesn't conflict with any machine already on the net), that will allow me to boot off CDROM and then do an amrecover, accessing the Amanda server and tape drive to recover from.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

solaris backup

i would like to know if i can use solstice backup 5.5 to do my solaris 2.6 backup. I would also like to know what other solstice backup versions there are and the O/S they support. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lealyz
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backup on solaris

i get this funny message after inserting my enabler code and authorization code for my solstice backup device; Create failed:'Cannot create new NSR schedule with Solstice Backup SingleServer'. This happens whenever i want to create customized settings on my nwadmin interface. Please what do i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lealyz
11 Replies

3. Solaris

Bootable solaris cd backup

Hi ppl! Does anyone know of how to make a bootable solaris cd backup :confused: i have mkisofs installed and plan to burn the bootable image on pc with cdwriter on it... thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 Backup

Hello, I'am newbie in Solaris. In the HP-UX we use make_recovery to full backup in tape, if system crash I need only put the tape in drive and the system is recovered. In Solaris I'am test ufsdump to backup for a file system. Exist a way to make backup full in Solaris or I need make backup a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markos
1 Replies

5. Solaris

OS Backup for Solaris

Hi, I'm new to Unix world and would like to know the procedure to do back for OS for Solaris 9. Can anyone guide me on this, please. Thank You (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raziayub
3 Replies

6. Solaris

backup on solaris 5.4

Hy everybody, I would like to know how i can do a backup or an equivalent of a ghost image like on Windows but for Solaris 5,4. I know there is the command flar or flarcreate but it doesn't work on Solaris 5,4. If someone have a idea to help me please. Thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blacknight29
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 9 OS backup

i have taken flash image ot my solaris server (Server2) with the following command "flarcreate -S -n server2 /home/server2.flar". can any one tel me how to restore it in the same server when it crashes. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj.chinnu
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Backup the Solaris OS

Hi gurus I wish to backup the Solaris OS and ftp to another server disk drive monthly but currently lack of knowledge about this. ** The server is production server. Please assists. =) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Whole disk backup in Solaris 11

Hello! I have an Oracle server X5-2 with Solaris 11. Now, this server will get repurposed before I get a system of my own. I am a beginner...but is there a way I can make a backup or an image of my whole disk so when I get my own system I can just restore without having to reinstall software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipsandiscream
1 Replies
AMTAPE(8)						  System Administration Commands						 AMTAPE(8)

NAME
amtape - Control Amanda changers SYNOPSIS
amtape [-o configoption...] config subcommand [subcommand_options...] DESCRIPTION
Amtape is the command-line interface to Amanda's tape changers (amanda-changers(7)) and to the taperscan algorithm (amanda-taperscan(7)). Tape changers maintain a notion of the current slot for each configuration. This may or may not correspond to an actual physical state of the device, but is used by some taperscan algorithms to minimize searching through the slots. Amtape uses the default changer. To use a different changer, use the config override option, e.g., -otpchanger=otherchanger. SUBCOMMANDS
label label Search for and load the Amanda tape with label [label], also setting the current slot. slot slot Load the volume in the given slot, also setting the current slot. The slot names current, next, first, and last have special meaning. current Shorthand for slot current. inventory Show the contents of all slots, based on the changer's cached metadata. This is a quick operation as it does not load or unload any volumes, but is not supported by all changers. show [slots] Show the contents of all slots (or listed slots) by loading each slot and reading its label. This can be very slow. The slots arguments is of the form 1,3-5,7. reset Reset the changer to a known state. This subcommand is intended to clear any unknown and potentially incorrect state the changer may have stored. eject [drive] Eject the tape currently in the drive. This only applies to some changers. Specify a drive (by drive number) if more than one drive is available. clean [drive] If a cleaning tape is defined for the changer, used it to clean the specified drive. The [drive] is optional if the changer only has one drive. taper Run the taperscan algorithm (see amanda-taperscan(7)), displaying information about the progress of the scan. update [what] Update changer state. Consult amanda-changers(7) for changer-specific details on the format of what. -o configoption See the "CONFIGURATION OVERRIDE" section in amanda(8). SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda-changers(7), amanda-taperscan(7), amanda-devices(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) James da Silva <jds@amanda.org> Stefan G. Weichinger <sgw@amanda.org> Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 AMTAPE(8)