Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers make 1 new file using records of 5 input files Post 302354323 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 17th of September 2009 08:12:53 PM
Old 09-17-2009
Code:
paste -d'\n' file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 > file6

If they have similar names with just a trailing number you could use:
Code:
paste -d'\n' file[1-5] > file6

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to split multiple records file in n files

Hello, Each record has a lenght of 7 characters I have 2 types of records 010 and 011 There is no character of end of line. For example my file is like that : 010hello 010bonjour011both 011sisters I would like to have 2 files 010.txt (2 records) hello bonjour and ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeuffeu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make AWK process an input file many many times?

By "many many times" I mean the times the input file is to be processed is unknown beforehand, it will be known when awk finishes processing the input file for the first time. So my question is: how to start over again from the first record of the input file when AWK finishes processing the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files with different number of records and output only the Extra records from file1

Hi Freinds , I have 2 files . File 1 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |pra|bhe|3|hyd |omu|hei|4|bnsj |uer|oeri|5|uery File 2 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |uer|oi|3|uery output : (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

make loop from input file

Hi Guys, I have file A.txt PP97 PP66 PP87 PP66 PP47 PP57 PP44 PP20 PP66 PP16 PP13 PP51 PP68 PP70 PP75 PP30 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing the file name and no of records in each files for the files created on a specific day

Hi, I want to display the file names and the record count for the files in the 2nd column for the files created today. i have written the below command which is listing the file names. but while piping the above command to the wc -l command its not working for me. ls -l... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Showdown
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make all records with the same number of fields (awk)

Hi, input: AA|BB|CC DD|EE FF what I am trying to get: AA|BB|CC DD|EE| FF|| I tried to create first an UDF for printing repeats, but I think I have an issue with my END section or my array: function repeat(str, n, rep, i) { for(i=1 ;i<n;i++) rep=rep str return rep } ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to make a loop to read the input from a file part by part?

Hi All, We've a VDI infrastructure in AWS (AWS workspaces) and we're planning to automate the process of provisioning workspaces. Instead of going to GUI console, and launching workspaces by selecting individual users is little time consuming. Thus, I want to create them in bunches from AWS CLI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_adm
6 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)