Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in searching 2 files for strings then perform an action Post 302354008 by streetfighter2 on Wednesday 16th of September 2009 10:07:02 PM
Old 09-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyadhar85
awk can be used
Code:
awk 'FILENAME=="file2"{A[$1]=$1}
FILENAME=="file1"{if($1==A[$1]){print $1" contains "$2}else{print $1" is invalid"}}' file1 file2

Hey thank you so much for your help, but I just ran the code and I get the following output:

AAA is invalid
misc is invalid
BBB is invalid
CCC is invalid

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform action file name written to the pipe

Hello, I have a script that monitors files uploaded via ftp. After a successful upload, the file name is written to the pipe. There is another program that reads this pipe and allows automatically run any program or script ( say test.sh ) to process the newly uploaded file. cat test.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to perform Grep on many Gzip files, Searching for Specific information

Hello, I am wondering if you can assist with my question and ask kindly for this. I have a number of files that are listed as file1.gz through file100.gz. I am trying to perform a grep on the files and find a specific date that only resides within within one of the files. There are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: legharb
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform action on newest line in log using tail?

I don't quite know what I'm doing, so this simple script is proving a challenge. Here is some pseudo code that doesn't work yet: if tail -1 "WORKING.txt" >/dev/null | egrep "^NMBR=*" > /dev/null then curl -k 'http://www.myserver.com/log.cgi?input=$?' echo "hi there" fi Purpose:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dihewidd
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

create dir in main &subdirs,perform action

Hi, I have one dir which has N subdirs.For ex: /home/user/Project_Src /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_A /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_A/subdir/sub_dir2 /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_A/subdir/sub_dir3 /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_B /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_B/Build i want to create a folder with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script - search a file and perform some action

hi, i have a service on unix platform, it will generate traces in a particular folder i want to check using shell script if traces exist, then perform some action else continue to be in loop. filename is service.tra can you please help? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravah
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access files from different directories and to perform search action in those files?

Hi, I want to access files from different directories (for example: /home/dir1/file1 , /home/dir2/file2 ...) Like this i have to access these files(file1, file2...). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangarukannan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor for new file with ext .err and size > 0 bytes and perform a action or command

Hi All, I need to create a script to monitor a dir for new files with ext .err and also it should b a non empty files. and perform a action or command . We have a new ETL application that runs on a linux server, every times a etl fails it creates a .err file or updates the existing .err... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MAKHAN
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform an action if certain text exist in output (PERL)

Hello, I'm attempting to write a tool that checks an IP address for existing PTR records then if there are no PTR records does a ping to see if it response. Then if there is no response, it should print a message saying This is what I have so far. #!/usr/bin/perl $nxdomain =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan22
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to perform an action similar to vlookup between two csv files in UNIX

Hi, I am new to awk/unix and am trying to put together an awk script to perform an action similar to vlookup between the two csv files. Here are the contents of the two files: File 1: Date,ParentID,Number,Area,Volume,Dimensions 2014-01-01,ABC,247,83430.33,857.84,8110.76... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prit Siv
9 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ex(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its relative line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -i The case of letters is ignored in making comparisons -- that is, upper and lower case are considered identical. This applies to grep and fgrep only. -s Silent mode. Nothing is printed (except error messages). This is useful for checking the error status. -w The expression is searched for as a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>', see ex(1).) (grep only) -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character other than newline matches that character. The character ^ matches the beginning of a line. The character $ matches the end of a line. A . (period) matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by an * (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. SEE ALSO
ex(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 GREP(1)