Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting special characters giving problem Post 302351781 by methyl on Wednesday 9th of September 2009 01:13:33 PM
Old 09-09-2009
Code:
cat file1|while read line
do
        VARIABLE=`echo "${line}"|awk -F\, '{print $4}'`
        echo "${VARIABLE}"
done

./scriptname

abvc ****
knht ****

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

utf-8, problem with special characters

Hi all, We are facing the following problem in our HP-UX machine: software that manipulates utf-8 encoded strings (e.g. during string cut), fails to correctly manipulate strings (all containing Greek characters) that contain special characters like @, &, # etc. Actually, in different... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alina
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to tail file; problem with awk and special characters

Trying to use code that I found to send only new lines out of a log file by doing: while :; do temp=$(tail -1 logfile.out) awk "/$last/{p=1}p" logfile.out #pipe this to log analyzer program last="$temp" sleep 10 done Script works fine when logfile is basic text, but when it contains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moo72moo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script is giving different resultControlled Special Account [csdwmast@ucdoud01.am.sony.com

Hi All, In this below script i am not able to find where is "form mail id" is taking when this script is executing i am getting "Controlled Special Account " as from ,i need to send "form mail id " from a table.:mad: kindly help me plzz. Regards, Krupa (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Special characters in file

Hi, I am facing a below problem. Inorder to mak sure the below file is fixed width i am using the following command awk '{printf("%-375s\n", $0) } so as to add trailing spaces at the end for records of length less than 375. Input file > inp.txt 1©1234 1234 123©1 The output file is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcus_kosaman
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with special characters....

grep -i "$line,$opline" COMBO_JUNK|awk -F, ' { C4+=$4 } { } END { print C4 } ' OFS=,` when i run this command in the script.... it o/p all the value as 0 if $line contains any special parameters..... but the same script if i run in command prompt... it shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
4 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -exEX3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 The -E and -X are similar to -e and -x, respectively, but treat overlapping changes (i.e., changes that would be flagged with ==== in the normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines from both files will be inserted by the edit script, bracketed by "<<<<<<" and ">>>>>>" lines. For example, suppose lines 7-8 are changed in both file1 and file2. Applying the edit script generated by the command "diff3 -E file1 file2 file3" to file1 results in the file: lines 1-6 of file1 <<<<<<< file1 lines 7-8 of file1 ======= lines 7-8 of file3 >>>>>>> file3 rest of file1 The -E option is used by RCS merge(1) to insure that overlapping changes in the merged files are preserved and brought to someone's atten- tion. FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/libexec/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. 7th Edition October 21, 1996 DIFF3(1)