Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: installing unix tape drive
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers installing unix tape drive Post 302350588 by ryks on Friday 4th of September 2009 09:23:25 AM
Old 09-04-2009
installing unix tape drive

Hi,
i installed a unix tape drive on my alphaserver. when i use a mt command it tells me there is no tape or device.

I have used the hardware manager and it shows the tape is present.

Can anyone help me understand why it cannot pick up the tape as a default?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Unix backup to tape drive

does anyone know how I can make an automatic backup of files to a tape drive under UNIX. I have so many commands, I don't know which goes where. I have commands for the task scheduler, Cron and other unix commands. Please help. Very Urgent. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cute
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Drive on Unix 7.1.1

I am trying to install a tape drive on this system (Unix 7.1.1) where will I start? 1. Do I need to load the driver on the on board scsi? How? 2. Is there a driver for the tape drive itself? Things done: 1. Terminated the device on the controller board. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a4tech
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

help installing Sun 8mm unipack scsi tape drive

Hi all, please help I am stuck. I have installed a external unipack scsi tape drive. The tape drive is Exabyte Eliant 820. All I did was connected scsi cable and power it on. When issued "probe-scsi-all" command, the tape is correctly identified. However, when issued "dmesg | more" command, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennis
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux/unix tape drive & AMANDA

Trying to set up AMANDA on my linux machine, with the DDS-3 HP Tape drive. Am having problems, in my amanda.conf it doesn't like /dev/st0 or /dev/st0nr and I need to have it as non rewinding, is there another command/params i can give it for the tape drive to be non rewinding? I'm trying to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Error After Installing Tape Drive

Hi, I am a newbie to Solaris, I have a SunFire V120 box, i was trying to install a tape drive(HP SureStore DAT24), i did the install in this manner. # rm -rf /etc/path_to_inst # init 6 later at the "ok" prompt i gave "boot -ar" after doing that it asked me various options i accepted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajendra.rait
2 Replies

6. Linux

Installing tape drive?

Hello. I have Redhat 8.0 on a laptop. Working good. I wanted to install the tape drive that is physically attached to it. The tape drive worked fine under Windows98SE. It's one of those parallel QIC-80 drives and I confirmed that it is supported by FTape. It appears that FTape might already... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RuralTurtle
0 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

DDS2 Tape Drive onto Linux/Unix

Knoppix, latest distribution is what I am using. I have a DDS2 tape drive. Recognised in Windows, etc. Cannot see it in UX/Lux. How do I mount it? How do I copy the data from the tape to another partition? What I need to do is transfer the contents of the DDS2 tape onto DVD. Simple. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockgeek
1 Replies

8. AIX

Installing 3590 tape drive to pSeries server run on AIX5.3

Brothers, I have a question on compatible issues. I have a p570 server running on AIX5.3.0.0 TL04. Recently I have received a 3590 tape drive with library and I am wonder whether I can make use of this tape drive for my normal daily backup of AIX 5.3.0.0 in p570 server. Any driver or adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
1 Replies

9. SCO

Installing SCSI Tape drive

Hello, I'm having some issues with installing SCSI tape drive on SCO 5.0.6 hardware config shows the following adapters %adapter 0xE800-0xE8FF 10 - type=alad ha=0 bus=0 id=7 fts=sto %adapter 0x0170-0x0177 15 - type=IDE ctlr=secondary dvr=wd %adapter - 3 - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananth_ak
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

HP-Unix 64 bit Tape Drive creating problem

Hello All, I have HP Openview storage data protector version 5.5. When I am going to write my backup I have an error message saying "Connot Open Device /dev/rmt/0mn" Follownig is my output: # ls -l /dev/rmt/0mn crw-rw-rw- 2 bin bin 205 0x080140 Jan 17 16:41 /dev/rmt/0mn # uname -a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellozishan
2 Replies
AMMT(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   AMMT(8)

NAME
ammt - Amanda version of mt SYNOPSIS
ammt [ -d ] [ -f|-t device ] command [ count ] DESCRIPTION
Ammt provides just enough of the standard mt command for the needs of Amanda. This is handy when doing a full restore and the standard mt program has not yet been found. Ammt also provides access to the Amanda output drivers that support various tape simulations. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. See the OUTPUT DRIVERS section of amanda(8) for more information on the Amanda output drivers. OPTIONS
-d Turn on debugging output. -f device Access tape device device. If not specified, the TAPE environment variable is used. -t device Same as -f. command count Which command to issue, and an optional count of operations. COMMANDS
Each command may be abbreviated to whatever length makes it unique. eof|weof count Write count (default: 1) end of file marks (tapemarks). fsf count Skip forward count (default: 1) files. bsf count Skip backward count (default: 1) files. asf count Position to file number count (default: 0) where zero is beginning of tape. This is the same as a rewind followed by a fsf count. rewind Rewind to beginning of tape. offline|rewoffl Rewind to beginning of tape and unload the tape from the drive. status Report status information about the drive. Which data reported, and what it means, depends on the underlying operating system, and may include: ONLINE Indicates the drive is online and ready. OFFLINE Indicates the drive is offline or not ready. BOT Indicates the drive is at beginning of tape. EOT Indicates the drive is at end of tape. PROTECTED Indicates the tape is write protected. ds Device status. er Error register. fileno Current tape file number. blkno Current tape block number file. NOTE: many systems only report good data when a tape is in the drive and ready. AUTHOR
Marc Mengel <mengel@fnal.gov> John R. Jackson <jrj@purdue.edu> SEE ALSO
amanda(8) AMMT(8)