Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep multiple lines and save to a file Post 302349289 by sweetblood on Monday 31st of August 2009 02:45:22 PM
Old 08-31-2009
what have you tried and what problems have you had? (Hint: grep won't split your files)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep on multiple lines

I 'm trying to grep 2 fieldds on 2 differnt lines. Like this: psit > file egrep -e '(NS|ES)' $file. Not working. If this succeeds then run next cmd else exit. Pls Help Gundu (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
13 Replies

2. AIX

Grep multiple lines and redirect to file

I have setof files with data and with same fields multiple times in each of the files. for example: file 1 name = mary kate last name = kate address = 123 street = abc name = mary mark last name = mark address = 456 street = bcd file 2 name = mary kate last name = kate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: relearner
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple lines from a file

Hi, I would like to ask if there is any method to grep a chuck of lines based on the latest file in a directory. E.g Latest file in the directory: Line 1: 532243 Line 2: 123456 Line 3: 334566 Line 4: 44567545 I wanted to grep all the line after line 2 i.e. Line 3 and line 4 and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwgi32
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling x number of lines from one file and save into another

Hi, I have a log file (updates.log), and I want to hunt the file for any errors. Here's an example of the log file: SQL> update <table1> set <value1> = '*****'; update <table1> set <value1> = '*****' * ERROR at line 1: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist Elapsed:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbchud
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut lines from log file and save it another file

Dears, i want cut the lines from a log file. Example of the log file as follows.. May 27, 2011 5:54:51 PM com.huawei.ivas.utilities.sm.client.SMDeliverContrUtil isDeliverSM FINE: May 27, 2011 5:54:51 PM com.huawei.ivas.utilities.sm.client.SMUtil addSysUpMsgLog INFO: . The message content... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonypalokkaran
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank lines in a file and save the file with same name?

I have a text file which has blank lines. I want them to be removed before upload it to DB using SQL *Loader. Below is the command line, i use to remove blank lines. sed '/^ *$/d' /loc/test.txt If i use the below command to replace the file after removing the blank lines, it replace the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep multiple lines from a text file using another text file?

I would like to use grep to select multiple lines from a text file using a single-column text file. Basically I want to only select lines from the first text file where the second column of the first text file matches the second text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines, sort it and save it as file itself

Hi, all I have a csv file that I would like to remove duplicate lines based on 1st field and sort them by the 1st field. If there are more than 1 line which is same on the 1st field, I want to keep the first line of them and remove the rest. I think I have to use uniq or something, but I still... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: refrain
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)