Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep multiple lines and save to a file Post 302349262 by chssastry on Monday 31st of August 2009 01:02:31 PM
Old 08-31-2009
Grep multiple lines and save to a file

Sir

I have a data file e.g. DATA31082009. This file consists of several data files appended to that file. The size of each data file is different. The first line of each file starts with "44". I want to grep data from "44" to the preceding line of next "44" and save it as a individual file. Thus I want to divide the main DATA31082009 into multiple files giving multiple names.
I am new to unix and shell scripting and highly grateful if anybody help me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep on multiple lines

I 'm trying to grep 2 fieldds on 2 differnt lines. Like this: psit > file egrep -e '(NS|ES)' $file. Not working. If this succeeds then run next cmd else exit. Pls Help Gundu (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
13 Replies

2. AIX

Grep multiple lines and redirect to file

I have setof files with data and with same fields multiple times in each of the files. for example: file 1 name = mary kate last name = kate address = 123 street = abc name = mary mark last name = mark address = 456 street = bcd file 2 name = mary kate last name = kate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: relearner
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple lines from a file

Hi, I would like to ask if there is any method to grep a chuck of lines based on the latest file in a directory. E.g Latest file in the directory: Line 1: 532243 Line 2: 123456 Line 3: 334566 Line 4: 44567545 I wanted to grep all the line after line 2 i.e. Line 3 and line 4 and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwgi32
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling x number of lines from one file and save into another

Hi, I have a log file (updates.log), and I want to hunt the file for any errors. Here's an example of the log file: SQL> update <table1> set <value1> = '*****'; update <table1> set <value1> = '*****' * ERROR at line 1: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist Elapsed:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbchud
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut lines from log file and save it another file

Dears, i want cut the lines from a log file. Example of the log file as follows.. May 27, 2011 5:54:51 PM com.huawei.ivas.utilities.sm.client.SMDeliverContrUtil isDeliverSM FINE: May 27, 2011 5:54:51 PM com.huawei.ivas.utilities.sm.client.SMUtil addSysUpMsgLog INFO: . The message content... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonypalokkaran
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank lines in a file and save the file with same name?

I have a text file which has blank lines. I want them to be removed before upload it to DB using SQL *Loader. Below is the command line, i use to remove blank lines. sed '/^ *$/d' /loc/test.txt If i use the below command to replace the file after removing the blank lines, it replace the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep multiple lines from a text file using another text file?

I would like to use grep to select multiple lines from a text file using a single-column text file. Basically I want to only select lines from the first text file where the second column of the first text file matches the second text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines, sort it and save it as file itself

Hi, all I have a csv file that I would like to remove duplicate lines based on 1st field and sort them by the 1st field. If there are more than 1 line which is same on the 1st field, I want to keep the first line of them and remove the rest. I think I have to use uniq or something, but I still... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: refrain
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD