Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pattern matching on any special character in Unix Post 302347800 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 12:01:39 PM
Old 08-26-2009

Add the characters to your pattern.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl: regexp matching special character

Hello Experts, Can someone help me here: I have a variable which contains a string with "". set var1 {a} set str1 {a is the element i want to match} Now "regexp $var1 $str1" does not work? ("regexp {a\} $str1" works, but var1 gets it's value automatically from another script) Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching in UNIX

Hello, I have a pattern like "XXXXXX XXXXXX" which i need to make search in a input file and Replace the matched pattern to a another pattern. This is the code i tried .. #!/usr/bin/perl print "Enter a File name :"; chomp ($file = <STDIN>); print "\n Searching file :"; if (system ("ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching problem in UNIX

Hello All, I need help I have a problem in searching the pattern in a file let us say the file contains the below lines line 1 USING *'/FILE/FOLDER/RETURN') ................. ................. line 4 USING *'/FILE/FOLDER/6kdat1') line 5 USING... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pattern matching in unix

Task is to identify files like code.1 , code.23 and so on ... (the files which are ending with a number) but it should not match files like code.123abc. So the search will normally search for files with "code." and at the end we should extract for the correct match. Now I have to remove these files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: diwakar_reddy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Perl split special character $

All I'm trying to split a string at the $ into arrays @data:=<dataFile> a $3.33 b $4.44 dfg $0.56 The split command I have been playing with is: split(/\$/, @data) which results with a .33 b .44 dfg .56 any help with this is appreciated /r Rick (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: schultz2146
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Pattern Matching in Unix

Hi, I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes. Example: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,CARE_OF 1,Robert,74538,12,RICHARD JOHNSON, P.C 2,Sam,07564,13,% R.S MIKE, V.K.S 3,Kim, Ed,12345,14,@90 KMS, %TK Desired Output: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,CARE_OF... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print range of lines using sed when pattern has special character "["

Hi, My input has much more lines, but few of them are below pin(IDF) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : signal; pin(SELDIV6) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two special character separated files based on pattern matching

Hi. I have 2 files of below format. File1 AA~1~STEVE~3.1~4.1~5.1 AA~2~DANIEL~3.2~4.2~5.2 BB~3~STEVE~3.3~4.3~5.3 BB~4~TIM~3.4~4.4~5.4 File 2 AA~STEVE~AA STEVE WORKS at AUTO COMPANY AA~DANIEL~AA DANIEL IS A ELECTRICIAN BB~STEVE~BB STEVE IS A COOK I want to match 1st and 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crypto87
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep correct pattern with special character and variables

cat file time="north_south_east_west_08:00" location="A" start="left" status="ok" end="north" time="north_south_east_west_12:00" location="C" start="right" status="ok" end="south" time="north_south_east_west_23:00" location="G" start="left" status="ok" end="east"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Binary pattern matching in UNIX

I think what I'm trying to do is pretty straightforward but I just can't find a way to do it. I'm trying to run a double pattern match in a three column file. If the first two columns match, I need to output the third. So in the file AAA BBB 1 BBC CCC 5 CCC DDD 7 DDD EEE 12 If the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewndavies1
4 Replies
FNMATCH(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						FNMATCH(3)

NAME
fnmatch -- match filename or pathname using shell glob rules LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <fnmatch.h> int fnmatch(const char *pattern, const char *string, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fnmatch() function matches patterns according to the globbing rules used by the shell. It checks the string specified by the string argument to see if it matches the pattern specified by the pattern argument. The flags argument modifies the interpretation of pattern and string. The value of flags is the bitwise inclusive OR of any of the following constants, which are defined in the include file fnmatch.h. FNM_NOESCAPE Normally, every occurrence of a backslash ('') followed by a character in pattern is replaced by that character. This is done to negate any special meaning for the character. If the FNM_NOESCAPE flag is set, a backslash character is treated as an ordinary character. FNM_PATHNAME Slash characters in string must be explicitly matched by slashes in pattern. If this flag is not set, then slashes are treated as regular characters. FNM_PERIOD Leading periods in strings match periods in patterns. The definition of ``leading'' is related to the specification of FNM_PATHNAME. A period is always ``leading'' if it is the first character in string. Additionally, if FNM_PATHNAME is set, a period is ``leading'' if it immediately follows a slash. FNM_LEADING_DIR Ignore ``/*'' rest after successful pattern matching. FNM_CASEFOLD The pattern is matched in a case-insensitive fashion. RETURN VALUES
The fnmatch() function returns zero if string matches the pattern specified by pattern, otherwise, it returns the value FNM_NOMATCH. SEE ALSO
sh(1), glob(3), regex(3), glob(7) STANDARDS
The fnmatch() function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The FNM_CASEFOLD flag is a NetBSD extension. HISTORY
The fnmatch() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BUGS
The pattern '*' matches the empty string, even if FNM_PATHNAME is specified. BSD
November 30, 2010 BSD