Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xargs command problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting xargs command problem Post 302347093 by KenJackson on Monday 24th of August 2009 11:16:49 PM
Old 08-25-2009
The output of "... > ./temp" is nothing. So you are piping nothing into the second xargs.

You might have better luck with something like this:
Code:
for f in ./Client*log; do
    nawk ... $f > temp
    mv -f temp $f
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use of xargs command

Hi Everybody, Can you explain the difference between the following commands: 1. find . -print|xargs grep -i dba_2pc_pending 2. find . -print|grep -i dba_2pc_pending (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishorebabu
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using find and xargs

I'm using Imagemagick to create thumbnails for a large directory tree. The only thing I can't see is how to get it to write the thumbnails to a "thumbs" subdirectory! Either of these two commands from the Imagemagick site does most of the job: find -name '*.jpg' | xargs -n1 sh -c 'convert $0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixote
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with grep in combination with xargs

Dear all, I have tried the following 2 lines xargs -t -i -exec grep -i -w {} file_1 >>test < file_2 cat -s file_2| xargs -t -i -exec grep -i -w {} file_1 >> test They were meant to search for the contents of file_2 in file_1 and write the respective lines of file_1 into file "test" .... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruno
15 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem in using wildcard characters in xargs with find

Hi, Under my parent diectory I have directory named "Response" in many of its subfolders. I am interested to see all files with extention .pro in Response Directory. I am giving following command - find . -name "Response" -type d | xargs -i ls -lrt {}/*.pro but it is not giving result. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs problem

Hi From the xargs man page (Solaris): ls $1 | xargs -I {} -t mv $1/{} $2/{} This would move all the files in directory $1 to directory $2 Problem 1: In a shell script if I want to move files in d1 to d2 dir1=~/d1 dir2=~/d2 ls $dir1 | xargs -I {} -t mv $dir1/{} $dir2/{} does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs command

Hi The command below does not work. what I am doing wrong ? For some reason second part of the xargs command is not does what I expect If I get this working I intend to use it for multiple file rename later. echo archDP105144_1_702159963.dbf|xargs -i cp {} `echo {}|awk... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping problem with xargs

I'm trying to pipe the output from a command into another using xargs but is not getting what I want. Running this commands: find . -name '33_cr*.rod' | xargs -n1 -t -i cut -f5 {} | sort -k1.3n | uniq | wc -l give the following output: cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod ... 9224236... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with xargs command..

ls -lrt | awk '$7==12{print $9}' | xargs -i mv {} $dir i executed this command but $dir does not exists....... and the files hv been moved but i dont know where ..... plz help(ASAP) thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptam
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using xargs with rm

I am trying to call xargs, however rm is complaining find . -maxdepth 1 -name "*tests*" -print0 | xargs -0 rm rm: missing operand Try `rm --help' for more information. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with xargs

I entered the following <zzz.list xargs showtell |more which does a echo "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< $1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>" head -20 $1 The file zzz.list contains 525 lines representing user scripts (1 per line), but only the first, 181st, and 399th lines were processed. What am I missing? TIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies
GIT-PACK-REDUNDANT(1)                                               Git Manual                                               GIT-PACK-REDUNDANT(1)

NAME
git-pack-redundant - Find redundant pack files SYNOPSIS
git pack-redundant [ --verbose ] [ --alt-odb ] < --all | .pack filename ... > DESCRIPTION
This program computes which packs in your repository are redundant. The output is suitable for piping to xargs rm if you are in the root of the repository. git pack-redundant accepts a list of objects on standard input. Any objects given will be ignored when checking which packs are required. This makes the following command useful when wanting to remove packs which contain unreachable objects. git fsck --full --unreachable | cut -d ' ' -f3 | git pack-redundant --all | xargs rm OPTIONS
--all Processes all packs. Any filenames on the command line are ignored. --alt-odb Don't require objects present in packs from alternate object directories to be present in local packs. --verbose Outputs some statistics to stderr. Has a small performance penalty. SEE ALSO
git-pack-objects(1) git-repack(1) git-prune-packed(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-PACK-REDUNDANT(1)