Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: questions to a special ls
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers questions to a special ls Post 302346645 by TonyFullerMalv on Sunday 23rd of August 2009 04:19:40 PM
Old 08-23-2009
The code:
Code:
ls |

is sending the output of the ls command onto the next command's input (stdin) rather than to the display.
The:
Code:
\

causes the shell to treat the following line as it it was on the same line, e.g.:
Code:
ls | \
more

is the same as:
Code:
ls | more

The line:
Code:
while IFS= read filename

causes each filename from the ls command to be used to set the variable ${filename} which can then be used in the code between the "do" and "done". The "IFS=" sets the separator character that is used to differentiate between one filename and the next.
If the separator is taken to be a space then the following would do the same but by replacing spaces with commas and then using a comma as the separator:
Code:
$ ls | sed -e 's/ /,/g' | while IFS="," read filename; do echo FILENAME = $filename; done

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character \

Hi, In the shell script, i need to remove the special charater "\" with "\\". For example, i need to replace "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" with "D:\\FXT\\ABC.TXT". However, when trying to do something like , i get the below error :- -->echo "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" | sed -e 's#\#\\#g' sed: 0602-404 Function... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_arora
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need a special print

I have this: \2009_may\05-04-2009\05-04-2009(74) \2009_may\05-04-2009\05-04-2009(74)\05-04-2009(74)_0-999 \2009_may\05-04-2009\05-04-2009(74)_left \2009_may\05-04-2009\05-04-2009(74)_left\05-04-2009(74) \2009_may\05-04-2009\05-04-2009(74)_right... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
3 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi special character

When editing a file, vi displays a special character as ^L. Can you tell me the escaped character to be used in awk? And can that escaped character be used in a regexp in both sed and awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A special compare

Hi I use the following compare if }" == *"$vl"* ]]; then ... Can anyone tell me, how to code the compare for unequal? I got no results from google searches. Any hint or tip is welcome. Regards Lazy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazybaer
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Special character $$

Hi, on ksh What does the following do? grep -v "toolbox" $home_oracle/.profile >$home_oracle/.profile.$$ Thanks. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies
merge_fonts(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual					      merge_fonts(3alleg4)

NAME
merge_fonts - Merges two fonts into one font. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> FONT *merge_fonts(FONT *f1, FONT *f2) DESCRIPTION
This function merges the character ranges from two fonts and returns a new font containing all characters in the old fonts. In general, you cannot merge fonts of different types (eg, TrueType fonts and bitmapped fonts), but as a special case, this function can promote a mono- chrome bitmapped font to a color font and merge those. Example: FONT *myfont; FONT *myfancy_font; FONT *lower_range; FONT *upper_range; FONT *capitals; FONT *combined_font; FONT *tempfont; ... /* Create a font that contains the capitals from */ /* the fancy font but other characters from myfont */ lower_range = extract_font_range(myfont, -1, 'A'-1); upper_range = extract_font_range(myfont, 'Z'+1, -1); capitals = extract_font_range(myfancy_font, 'A', 'Z'); tempfont = merge_fonts(lower_range, capitals); combined_font = merge_fonts(tempfont, upper_range); /* Clean up temporary fonts */ destroy_font(lower_range); destroy_font(upper_range); destroy_font(capitals); destroy_font(tempfont); RETURN VALUE
Returns a pointer to the new font or NULL on error. Remember that you are responsible for destroying the font when you are finished with it to avoid memory leaks. SEE ALSO
extract_font_range(3alleg4), is_trans_font(3alleg4), is_color_font(3alleg4), is_mono_font(3alleg4), exfont(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 merge_fonts(3alleg4)