Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mkdir: copying a folder's permissions Post 302345619 by avronius on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 05:42:03 PM
Old 08-19-2009
chompy - I would recommend cp -rp if the directory was empty, but this copies the entire directory tree...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

folder permissions

I work for a big company and all the people within my unit share a common drive to save documents to. I am listed in the group(AMS group) that has access rights to folders within this drive. but i'm trying to restrict access to a confidential folder so that only I can access it. when I set the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shed
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for Finding files in a folder and copying to another folder

Hi all, I have a folder '/samplefolder' in which i have some files like data0.txt, data1.txt and data2.txt. I have to search the folder for existence of the file data0.txt first and if found have to copy it to some other file; next i have to search the folder for existence of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish2712
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying latest file into a folder

Hello all, this is my first post while i am trying to understand unix. I would basically like to know if i can do this: Lets say i have a folderA and folderB And i save something in folderA Can i make a script that checks folderA latest file, then compares it with the date of latest file in... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: takissd
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions issue after copying files

Hi everyone, I am using mac os x 10.6, and I just copied over a project from a machine with 10.5... And I noticed my ls color is very funky in this directory... I found that my permissions are all messed up, and am wondering if there is a way to recursively fix permissions? This is how they... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Copying Folder, C program

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Copying all the normal files from 1 folder to another on a unix platform. I pass in 1 or 2 arguments, the folder... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MW99
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder permissions to delete

I am using the below command to delete files from directories and subdirectories find /test/abc/xyx -type f -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; there are some subfolders in xyx for which i don't have permission to delete. Is there a way i can check the permission of the folder first and then delete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Need to compare two folder / FS permissions

Hi, Need to compare two folders / File systems permissions & time stamps including sub folders and files. Kindly let me know if any commands available. Regards :: VM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novaothers
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Folder permissions

Hi Team, I want to set permissions to one folder in such a way that the user can write files or create folder inside that but should not able to delete it. Basically reason behind this is i am using Pidgin Messenger. There is a directory of logs in which, when user chat its store his logs.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for mkdir with permissions

Hello, I'm pretty new to scripting and trying to do a simple (well, I thought so) administrator task. I'm using bash. I want to create 10 directories under the one directory and apply permissions at the same time. I've worked out the make directories part: mkdir /userdata/folder{1..50}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimothy007
7 Replies
mkdir(1)							   User Commands							  mkdir(1)

NAME
mkdir - make directories SYNOPSIS
mkdir [-m mode] [-p] dir... DESCRIPTION
The mkdir command creates the named directories in mode 777 (possibly altered by the file mode creation mask umask(1)). Standard entries in a directory (for instance, the files ".", for the directory itself, and "..", for its parent) are made automatically. mkdir cannot create these entries by name. Creation of a directory requires write permission in the parent directory. The owner-ID and group-ID of the new directories are set to the process's effective user-ID and group-ID, respectively. mkdir calls the mkdir(2) system call. setgid and mkdir To change the setgid bit on a newly created directory, you must use chmod g+s or chmod g-s after executing mkdir. The setgid bit setting is inherited from the parent directory. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -m mode This option allows users to specify the mode to be used for new directories. Choices for modes can be found in chmod(1). -p With this option, mkdir creates dir by creating all the non-existing parent directories first. The mode given to intermedi- ate directories will be the difference between 777 and the bits set in the file mode creation mask. The difference, how- ever, must be at least 300 (write and execute permission for the user). OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: dir A path name of a directory to be created. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mkdir when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using mkdir The following example: example% mkdir -p ltr/jd/jan creates the subdirectory structure ltr/jd/jan. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of mkdir: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All the specified directories were created successfully or the -p option was specified and all the specified directories now exist. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
rm(1), sh(1), umask(1), intro(2), mkdir(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 mkdir(1)