Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Bash]variable does not keep its value Post 302345124 by trickstar on Tuesday 18th of August 2009 01:02:23 PM
Old 08-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.house
For the sake of debugging, you may want to add an echo "$alarm" before the done, thus making visible where your "alarm data" goes Smilie
Hello, i did debug the script, $alarm and $alarms do contain something inside the loop.

---------- Post updated at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
Code:
local alarm=""
        local num_alarm=0
        local -a alarms
        while read line ; do
                alarm_message_reception=$(echo "$line" | grep "Alarm message reception")
                if [ -z "$alarm_message_reception" ] ; then
                        alarm="${alarm} ${line}"
                else
                        alarms[$num_alarm]=$alarm
                        num_alarm=$(($num_alarm + 1))
                fi
        done < "${alr}"
        echo "${alarms[@]}" # does not echo anything

Thank you for that, i think it should work but cannot test it now. So the reason for ${alarms[@]} to be empty is that it was set in the process of the pipe ? Just to understand exactly the reason.
Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH get variable according to name of another variable

Just started BASH scripting, and I tried to make a script 'args' to display all of the arguments that I give to it. #!/bin/bash if then echo "No arguments specified." fi val= for ((i=1; i <= $# ; i++)) do eval "\$val=\$$i" echo "Argument number $i is $var." done However... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: test_test
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using the value of one variable to name another variable (in bash)

Hello all, I'm working on a script, and as part of it, I'm trying to create a loop that will run through a stored piece of information a certain number of times pulling out information, and each time create a variable with a unique name that will store that information. I'm sure it's a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - define a variable

Hello, I would like to define a variable based on another variable: a=5 b$a=100 This does not work. What is the right way to do it? Thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:33 PM ---------- Found my answer with the search function (did not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - Variable made of variable

Hello, I am struggling with using variable made using "eval". a=4 eval b$a=20 echo $b$a ??? As shown above, I am trying to call back the variable "bX" assuming I do not know the value of "a". How can I do that? I tried several combinations but nothing worked. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use variable in bash

$ p="1 2 5 8" $ set -- $p $ echo $3 5 $ k=3 $ echo \$${k} $3 I want the "echo \$${k}" to get the output 5 , how to modify ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable in bash help

#aa=xxxx #zz="cc $aa" #aa=gggg #echo $zz out put is cc xxxx if I want to get cc gggg how should I do, I don't want to write zz="c $aa " after aa=gggg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable within variable

Hello, Can I ask how to expand variable that contains another in bash? I need to loop variable within another one like this: RD1=testgrp RD2=testgroup RD3=testgroupfile RD4=tstgroup ... RD40=try2013 DEST=/home/king/finaldir for i in {1..40}; do mv ${RD${i}} ${DEST} done I do not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using RegEx with variable within bash if [[ ]]

I stumbled upon a problem, which I simplified to this: There is a list of numbers, stored in variable $LIST, lets use `seq 5 25` for demonstration. There is a number that should be compared against this list. For demonstration I use user input - read VALUE I am trying to compare RegEx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zorbeg
2 Replies
UPSRW(8)						      Network UPS Tools (NUT)							  UPSRW(8)

NAME
upsrw - UPS variable administration tool SYNOPSIS
upsrw ups upsrw -h upsrw -s variable [-u username] [-p password] ups DESCRIPTION
upsrw allows you to view and change the read/write variables inside your UPS. It sends commands via the server upsd(8) to your driver, which configures the hardware for you. The list of variables that allow you to change their values is based on the capabilities of your UPS equipment. Not all models support this feature. Typically, cheaper hardware does not support any of them. Run upsrw with a UPS identifier to see what will work for you. OPTIONS
-h Display the help message. -s variable Specify the variable to be changed inside the UPS. For unattended mode such as in shell scripts, use the format VAR=VALUE to spec- ify both the variable and the value, for example: -s HIGHXFER=129 Without this argument, upsrw will just display the list of the variables and their possible values. Some variables are strings, and can be set to any value within the length limit. Others are enumerated types and can only be set to one of those values. Refer to the list to know what's available in your hardware. -u username Set the username for the connection to the server. This is optional, and you will be prompted for this when using the -s option if you don't specify -u on the command line. -p password Set the password to authenticate to the server. This is also optional like -u, and you will be prompted for it if necessary. ups View or change the settings on this UPS. The format for this option is [upsname@]hostname[:port]. UNATTENDED MODE
If you run this program inside a shell script or similar to set variables, you will need to specify all of the information on the command line. This means using -s VAR=VALUE, -u and -p. Otherwise it will put up a prompt and your program will hang. This is not necessary when displaying the list, as the username and password are not required for read-only mode. DIAGNOSTICS
upsrw can't set variables on your UPS unless you provide a valid username and password. If you get "access denied" errors, make sure that your upsd.users(5) has an entry for you, and that the username you are using has permissions to SET variables. HISTORY
This program used to be called upsct2, which was ambiguous and confusing. SEE ALSO
upsd(8), upscmd(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.exploits.org/nut/ NUT mailing list archives and information: http://lists.exploits.org/ Sat Aug 31 2002 UPSRW(8)