Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to get the no. of lines in a text file Post 302344055 by durden_tyler on Friday 14th of August 2009 12:32:44 PM
Old 08-14-2009
Code:
perl -lne '$.>=2 and $i++; END{print "Count: ",$i}' file > newfile

perl -nE 'push @x,$_; END{say "Count: ",$#x}' file > newfile

perl -lne '$i++; END{print "Count: ",$i-1}' file > newfile

perl -lne 'END{print "Count: ",$.-1}' file > newfile

perl -nE 'END{say "Count: ",$.-1}' file > newfile

tyler_durden

Last edited by durden_tyler; 08-14-2009 at 01:42 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines in text file

Hi everyone, I have text files that I want to delete lines from. I have searched through this forum for quite some time and found examples of both awk and sed. Unfortunately, I was not able to successfully do what I want. Well to some extent. I did manage to delete the first 15 lines from each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get only some lines from a text file

Hi, I would like to know how can I get to a new file, some lines from an existing file. Like, I want to get the lines between 100 and 150. Best regards. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fadista
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep multiple lines from a text file using another text file?

I would like to use grep to select multiple lines from a text file using a single-column text file. Basically I want to only select lines from the first text file where the second column of the first text file matches the second text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines of a text file based on another text file?

I have 2 TXT files with with 8 columns in them(tab separated). First file has 2000 entries whereas 2nd file has 300 entries. The first file has ALL the lines of second file. Now I need to remove those 300 lines (which are in both files) from first file so that first file's line count become... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get the no. of lines in a text file

Is there any work around to get no. lines in a text file and cut by total of 2 lines per file or whatever input parameter of command. so for ei. this file cat file1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 filename output is incremental look like this: linefile.txt 1_linefile.txt 2_linefile.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read n lines from a text files getting n from within the text file

I dont even have a sample script cause I dont know where to start from. My data lookes like this > sat#16 #data: 15 site:UNZA baseline: 205.9151 0.008 -165.2465 35.8109 40.6685 21.9148 121.1446 26.4629 -18.4976 33.8722 0.017 -165.2243 48.2201 40.6908 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: malandisa
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add strings from one file at the end of specific lines in text file

Hello All, this is my first post so I don't know if I am doing this right. I would like to append entries from a series of strings (contained in a text file) consecutively at the end of specifically labeled lines in another file. As an example: - the file that contains the values to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gus74
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
trbsd(1)						      General Commands Manual							  trbsd(1)

NAME
trbsd - Translates characters SYNOPSIS
trbsd [-Acs] string1 string2 trbsd -d [-Ac] string1 The trbsd command copies characters from the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. OPTIONS
Translates on a byte-by-byte basis. When you specify this option, trbsd does not support extended characters. Complements (inverts) the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose codes are 001 through 377 octal if you specify -A, and all characters if you do not specify -A. Deletes all characters in string1 from output. Changes characters that are repeated output charac- ters in string2 into single characters. DESCRIPTION
Input characters from string1 are replaced with the corresponding characters in string2. The trbsd command cannot handle an ASCII NUL (00) in string1 or string2; it always deletes NUL from the input. The tr command is a System V compatible version of trbsd. Abbreviations such as a-z, standing for a string of characters whose ASCII codes run from character a to character z, inclusive, can be used to introduce ranges of characters. Note that brackets are not special characters. Use the escape character (backslash) to remove the special meaning from any character in a string. Use the followed by 1, 2, or 3 octal digits for the code of a character. If a given character appears more than once in string1, the character in string2 corresponding to its last appearance in string1 will be used in the translation. EXAMPLES
To translate braces into parentheses, enter: trbsd '{}' '()' <textfile >newfile This translates each { (left brace) to a ( (left parenthesis) and each } (right brace) to a ) (right parenthesis). All other char- acters remain unchanged. To translate lowercase ASCII characters to uppercase, enter: trbsd a-z A-Z <textfile >newfile The two strings can be of different lengths: trbsd 0-9 # <textfile >newfile This translates each digit to a # (number sign); if string2 is too short, it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicating its last character. To translate each string of digits to a single # (number sign), enter: trbsd -s 0-9 # <textfile >newfile To trans- late all ASCII characters that are not specified, enter: trbsd -c ' -~' 'A-_' <textfile >newfile This translates each nonprinting ASCII character to the corresponding control key letter (01 translates to A, 02 to B, and so on). ASCII DEL (177), the character that follows ~ (tilde), translates to a ? (question mark). SEE ALSO
Commands: ed(1), sh(1), tr(1) Files: ascii(5) trbsd(1)