Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Scripting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Scripting Post 302341921 by madanmeer on Friday 7th of August 2009 02:27:03 AM
Old 08-07-2009
Unix Scripting

Hi Gurus,
I am a system admin in solaris field and ive planned to study unix scripting.ive planned to start reading Mastering Unix scripting by randal.Scripts in that are based on Korn shell(ksh).my question is whether the same scripts can be applied to other shells like bash etc..And also it will be very helpfull if someone can say whether to learn Unix scripting or a language like PERL.Thanks in Advance..Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Scripting

:confused: I need to find a place or places on the Internet where I can find UNIX scripts to view and to modify to make life easy on the UNIX environment. Can someone help me on this. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help With Unix Scripting.

Can anybody tell me the best way to learn unix scripting.can you recommend a good book.Please help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hella
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix scripting pl help

Hi All, I am new to Unix Scripting. I have below scenario. I need to write a Unix function with the following. 1. I have table. From this table I need to write a query. SELECT Col1(File_nm),Col2(From_Loc),Col3(To_Loc) FROM A WHERE CONDITION For... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sree11
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me Out in unix scripting

Hello every one, plz help me out. I m using 4 files in unix, like file1, file2, file3,file4 in which primary key is ID in column(field) of 4 files. On the bases of ID, i want the corresponding field of 4 files in final file let say collected file. In collected file, ID column should occur only one... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaprus
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Scripting

Hi Gurus, I am a system admin in solaris field and ive planned to study unix scripting.ive planned to start reading Mastering Unix scripting by randal.Scripts in that are based on Korn shell(ksh).my question is whether the same scripts can be applied to other shells like bash etc..And... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madanmeer
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripting

how to check if a unix script gets executed without errors across all unix platforms. incase if a script gets executed without errors only one platform say AIX, what needs to be done to that script such that it will run all unix platforms like linux, hp, sun etc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmann
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix scripting

i need help with this problem this is the problem: Write a script that logs how many users login on/off the system over a 5 minute period. It can run in the foreground, and run 4 times a minute. Set a trap that will not allow a CNTRL-C command, and if a CNTRL-C is excuted store the time and date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sportsmansixty6
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Scripting( Calling from Unix to PLSQL)

Hello Experts, I have the following questions to be discussed here at this esteemed discussion forum. I have two Excel sheets which contain Unix Commands llike creating directory the structure/ftp/Copy/Zip etc to basically create an environment. I need help in understanding some of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faizsaadq
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX scripting

LIST=/home/xxxxxxx/ABC/xeeno_scrpts/temp/tempfile ERRORDIR=/home/xxxxxxx/ABC/error_directory EMAILFILE=/home/xxxxxxx/ABC/xeeno_scrpts/temp/emailfile echo "There were errors in the following report file for Xeenos:" > $EMAILFILE echo >> $EMAILFILE echo "This files have been moved to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcarosi
9 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)