Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: error while using cut
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers error while using cut Post 302337989 by magnia on Sunday 26th of July 2009 06:51:41 PM
Old 07-26-2009
got it to work, i catted $line then used pipe to do the cut and it worked fine

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut -c1 ERROR

Hi All, what are c1,c5...etc....in cut command. example : v_update=`echo $v_update| cut -c1-$count` i am getting below error if i run the above command cut: invalid range specifier what could be the reason. What the change i have to make in my command to avoid this error. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
PIPE(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess channel SYNOPSIS
pipe(fildes) int fildes[2]; DESCRIPTION
The pipe system call creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe. The file descriptors returned can be used in read and write operations. When the pipe is written using the descriptor fildes[1] up to 4096 bytes of data are buffered before the writing process is suspended. A read using the descriptor fildes[0] will pick up the data. Writes with a count of 4096 bytes or less are atomic; no other process can inter- sperse data. It is assumed that after the pipe has been set up, two (or more) cooperating processes (created by subsequent fork calls) will pass data through the pipe with read and write calls. The Shell has a syntax to set up a linear array of processes connected by pipes. Read calls on an empty pipe (no buffered data) with only one end (all write file descriptors closed) returns an end-of-file. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), write(2), fork(2) DIAGNOSTICS
The function value zero is returned if the pipe was created; -1 if too many files are already open. A signal is generated if a write on a pipe with only one end is attempted. BUGS
Should more than 4096 bytes be necessary in any pipe among a loop of processes, deadlock will occur. ASSEMBLER
(pipe = 42.) sys pipe (read file descriptor in r0) (write file descriptor in r1) PIPE(2)