Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Samba Compiling questions
Operating Systems Solaris Samba Compiling questions Post 302337820 by Keepcase on Saturday 25th of July 2009 04:38:58 PM
Old 07-25-2009
hi reborg, I will get back to you regarding that simpler line for samba

Right now, I am trying to set the following line up as I will NEED AD support (I want to authenticate through AD for my samba users) <-- Am I correct here?

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/sfw --with-configdir=/etc/sfw --with-pam --with-pam_smbpass --with-winbind --with-ads --with-ldap

checking for Active Directory and krb5 support... yes
checking for ldap_initialize... no
configure: error: Active Directory support requires ldap_initialize

from what I've read ldap_initialize is part of the OpenLDAP development libraries

and I know I'm a newb so if someone could shed some light I would be grateful..

I downloaded openldap-stable-20090411.tar

and ran ./configure

and I get this error

configure: error: BDB/HDB: BerkeleyDB not available

I tried running make depend

but

# make depend
make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `depend'

I've searched everywhere but I feel like an idiot, I don't know that much about compiling and I can't seem to get samba installed with the correct arguments...

Any thoughts?

---------- Post updated at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:54 PM ----------

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/sfw --with-configdir=/etc/sfw --with-pam --with-pam_smbpass --with-winbind --with-ads --with-ldap

Okay, I'm going to ask 2 more questions for anyone out there willing to help

1) if I place samba into /usr/sfw and patch my Solaris box later on, will the patch (if there is a newer version of samba supported, as of right now it is 3.0.33) overwrite my old binaries as I will have my binaries in the same location??

2) and if I want to authenticate with AD using samba are the above arguments correct?

am I adding too many? (I'm thinking the PAM stuff?)

I read through a lot of the samba.org stuff for AD authentication which a fellow unix.com user pointed me in the direction of but there is no section on what arguments to use to install with samba for AD authentication..

anyone had experience with this?

---------- Post updated at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:01 PM ----------

Is there any way to install just the OpenLDAP Development Libraries?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Compiling samba 3.0.27a under AIX

I try to compile Samba 3.0.27a under AIX with LDAP and KErberos. The configure work fine: CFLAGS: -I/opt/pware/include -I/opt/pware/lib/ -I/opt/pware/open_ldap_exec/lib/ -I/software/samba/oldap/usr/lib -I/software/samba/oldap/usr/include ./configure --prefix=/opt/pware/samba/3.0.27a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BenediktS
1 Replies

2. AIX

Compiling samba 3.0.27a under AIX

Compiling samba 3.0.27a under AIX I try to compile Samba 3.0.27a under AIX with LDAP and KErberos. The configure work fine: CFLAGS: -I/opt/pware/include -I/opt/pware/lib/ -I/opt/pware/open_ldap_exec/lib/ -I/software/samba/oldap/usr/lib -I/software/samba/oldap/usr/include ./configure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BenediktS
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba pre-install questions.

Greetings, I hope this is the right forum. I am looking to install Samba on my Linux box on my home network. I'm pretty sure I can deal with the how, I'm just not certain of the what. ok I'm using Debian lenny with no GUI. I have apt working and I've successfully installed and used one package... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fguy
10 Replies

4. AIX

Compiling samba from source in AIX 5.3

Hello all. I have never had any issues like this when compiling applications from source. When I try to compile samba-3.5.0pre2, configure runs with no issues, but when the time comes to make, this happens: make: make 1254-025 There must be an existing description file or specify a target. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compiling Samba from Source on AIX, Active Directory, LDAP, Kerberos

Hello, I asked this question in the AIX subforum but never received an answer, probably because the AIX forum is not that heavily trafficked. Anyway, here it is.. I have never had any issues like this when compiling applications from source. When I try to compile samba-3.5.0pre2, configure runs... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
9 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem compiling Samba 3.5.1 on Solaris 10 with gcc (3.4.6)

I'm getting this error when 'Linking shared library bin/libtalloc.so.2'... anyone know what's up here? Using CFLAGS = -O -I. -I/source/samba-3.5.1/source3 -I/source/samba-3.5.1/source3/../lib/popt -I/source/samba-3.5.1/source3/iniparser/src -Iinclude -I./include -I. -I. -I./../lib/replace... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: son_t
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiling samba problem

People i download the lastest version of samba i`am tryng to compile it in a solaris 9 i'm reading the how to of samba, i am in the first step making the autogen.sh but show me this when i do ./autogen.sh ./autogen.sh: running script/mkversion.sh ./script/mkversion.sh: 'include/version.h'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Compiling Error in Samba 3.4.1 on Solaris 10

Hi all, I am getting the following error While installing Samba 3.4.1 on Solaris 10. #./autogen.sh ./autogen.sh : autoheader : not found ./autogen.sh : test : argument expected Please help me as I am in a critical state of the project. Warm regards, Sathya (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathya47
10 Replies

9. Solaris

Two simple questions about Solaris DCHP and Samba

I have two simple questions First is :can dhcp server NATIVE of solaris perform dhcp updates of bind via dnssec like dchpd on linux? Second: Is possible to build a pdc with samba and iplanet ldap server?Or is better with openldap? I never found howto or discussions about iplanet server. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compiling Samba 4.4.5

I am running Fedora V21 and had their default Samba installed. But I wanted to put up a PDC with ADS, so I uninstalled samba and down loaded the Samba 4.4.5 source along with the Kerberos devel kit etc. I then configured and compiled etc and it indicated it was successful. But I can't load the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: griffinmt
0 Replies
cupsaddsmb(8)							    Apple Inc.							     cupsaddsmb(8)

NAME
cupsaddsmb - export printers to samba for windows clients SYNOPSIS
cupsaddsmb [ -H samba-server ] [ -U samba-user[%samba-password] ] [ -h cups-server[:port] ] [ -v ] -a cupsaddsmb [ -H samba-server ] [ -U samba-user[%samba-password] ] [ -h cups-server[:port] ] [ -v ] printer [ ... printer ] DESCRIPTION
The cupsaddsmb program exports printers to the SAMBA software (version 2.2.0 or higher) for use with Windows clients. Depending on the SAMBA configuration, you may need to provide a password to export the printers. This program requires the Windows printer driver files described below. SAMBA CONFIGURATION cupsaddsmb uses the RPC-based printing support in SAMBA to provide printer drivers and PPD files to Windows client machines. In order to use this functionality, you must first configure the SAMBA smb.conf(5) file to support printing through CUPS and provide a printer driver download share, as follows: [global] load printers = yes printing = cups printcap name = cups [printers] comment = All Printers path = /var/spool/samba browseable = no public = yes guest ok = yes writable = no printable = yes [print$] comment = Printer Drivers path = /etc/samba/drivers browseable = yes guest ok = no read only = yes write list = root This configuration assumes a FHS-compliant installation of SAMBA; adjust the [printers] and [print$] share paths accordingly on your system as needed. MICROSOFT POSTSCRIPT DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS The base driver for Windows 2000 and higher is the Microsoft PostScript driver, which is available on any system running Windows 2000 or higher in the %WINDIR%SYSTEM32SPOOLDRIVERSW32X863 folder for 32-bit drivers and %WINDIR%SYSTEM32SPOOLDRIVERSX643 folder for 64-bit drivers. Copy the 32-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers directory and the 64-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers/x64 directory exactly as named below: ps5ui.dll pscript.hlp pscript.ntf pscript5.dll Note: Unlike Windows, case is significant - make sure that you use the lowercase filenames shown above, otherwise cupsaddsmb will fail to export the drivers. OPTIONS
cupsaddsmb supports the following options: -H samba-server Specifies the SAMBA server which defaults to the CUPS server. -U samba-user[%samba-password] Specifies the SAMBA print admin username which defaults to your current username. If the username contains a percent (%) character, then the text following the percent is treated as the SAMBA password to use. -a Exports all known printers. Otherwise only the named printers are exported. -h cups-server[:port] Specifies a different CUPS server to use. -v Specifies that verbose information should be shown. This is useful for debugging SAMBA configuration problems. SEE ALSO
rpcclient(1), smbclient(1), smbd(8), smb.conf(5), CUPS Online Help (http://localhost:631/help) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2017 by Apple Inc. 11 June 2014 CUPS cupsaddsmb(8)