Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Executing commands through shell variable Post 302337286 by shriyer on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 05:56:37 PM
Old 07-23-2009
Executing commands through shell variable

Hey there,
I am trying to pass a command as argument to a function.
The command shows up in $1.
Now I want to execute this command, but if I do a $1

./sample
"bla/blaprintf: warning: ignoring excess arguments, starting with `bla/bla'

The code is :

#!/bin/ksh
fn()
{
$1
}

fn 'printf "bla/bla bla/bla bla bla bla bla\\n"'

Any ideas how to get it work please ?
Thanks,
Shrikant

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

executing commands in child shell

I have to execute some commands after executing one command ( cleartool setview Tagname) Problem is that I write commands in script like this. echo "test1" cleartool setview tagname echo "test2" copy file1 file2 echo "test3" but when I execute script. Output --------- test1 If I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udaykishore
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

How commands are executing ?

Hi Folks, I have a small doubt, the binary commands under /bin and /sbin as well as other path binary files, if you peek deep into that, you can find the difference in the way of normal perl programming and some commands will be like binary files. how are the commands executing like the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing many commands at once

Hi, I want to run these two commands one after the other. awk 'BEGIN {OFS="\t"} {print $2}' sort -u rather than typing awk 'BEGIN {OFS="\t"} {print $2}' file1 > file2, then sort -u file2 > file3. Is it possible to run both commands on file1 then get output file3? Its kinda hard for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing commands

I need to execute a command to run my script several times with varying parameters perl ex.pl -b 130198 -e 130884 -c plot plot.txt 1_plot.txt perl ex.pl -b 1345 -e 1308 -c plot plot.txt 2_plot.txt perl ex.pl -b 1345567 -e 130898 -c plot plot.txt 3_plot.txt . . . 100's of excutions ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to stay in remote shell after executing commands in ssh?

the ssh calling convention: ssh <server> If I put commands in the section, ssh will execute them immediately after logging in and return to local shell. I want to stay in the remote shell after executing these commands. How can I achieve this? Thanks for all. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hplonlien
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a shell script containing awk commands

Hi All, I am trying to execute a shell script containg awk commands. But unable to do so. Below is my script. Please help. The name of the script is scan.sh and I have tried executing it using the command sh scan.sh It is giving an error which reads like: awk:syntax error near line 7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: misb
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

What are different ways of executing shell commands?

I am a student in BCIT in vancouver and taking comp2771 course.(Shell scripting). I would like to know what are different ways of executing shell commands? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adam25ca
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands not executing after FTP in shell script

Hello In the shell script we have a FTP command like below ftp -n -v -q winftp.principal.com >/infa/datafiles/GRP/Scripts/ftp_from_infa_dvcn.log<<END_SCRIPT   quote USER $FTP_USER quote PASS $FTP_PASS ascii lcd $FTP_LOCALDIR cd $FTP_FLDR put $FTP_FILE   bye exit If i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble executing piped shell commands in perl code

I am trying to execute a piped combination of shell commands inside a perl program. However, it is not working as desired. This is my program, i am trying to print only filenames from the output of ls -l $ cat list_test #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; my $count=0; my @list=`ls -l|awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple ssh commands inside a shell simultaneously

I would like to execute a commands in four different servers through ssh at a single instance(simultaneously). Below are the details with examples, ssh user1@server1 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server2 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server3 "grep xxxx logs" Each statement will take some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amutha
4 Replies
LR_DEANONYMIZE.IN(1)					  LogReport's Lire Documentation				      LR_DEANONYMIZE.IN(1)

NAME
lr_deanonymize - restore anonymized data, using a dump as produced by lr_anonymize(1) SYNOPSIS
lr_deanonymize dumpfilestem DESCRIPTION
lr_deanonymize is typically used when receiving anonymized reports from a responder. See the section on "Processing The Responder's Results" in the chapter on "Using A Responder" in the Lire User Manual for usage examples. lr_deanonymize reads a file containing anonymized emailaddresses, ipnumbers, and hostnames (typically a report, generated from a logfile from an internet service) from stdin, and prints a "deanonymized" version of this file to stdout. It reads its information to do this from a bunch of Berkeley DB's, stored in files whose's names are derived from dumpfilestem, as produced by lr_anonymize(1). EXAMPLE
A 'logfile' like e.g. blaat fkrf 1.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa] pietje@bigcompany.com bla 1 2 3 lj;agas;gag blaat 1.2.3.4 fkrf 3.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa] bla 1 www.hotsex.com 2 3 lj;agas;gag jan@blaat.frut.com agagag blaat fkrf 4.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa] bla pietje@bigcompany.com www.hotsex.com 234.34.2.0 jan@blaat.frut.com 4.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa1 2 3 lj;agas;gag blaat fkrf tweede 3.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa] bla 1.2.3.4 1 blablabla.com 2 mdcc.cx 3 lj;agas;gag wil get anonymized to blaat fkrf 1.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa] john.doe.1@example.com bla 1 2 3 lj;agas;gag blaat 10.0.0.1 fkrf 2.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa] bla 1 1.example.com 2 3 lj;agas;gag john.doe.2@example.com agagag blaat fkrf 3.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa] bla john.doe.1@example.com 1.example.com 10.0.0.2 john.doe.2@example.com 3.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa1 2 3 lj;agas;gag blaat fkrf tweede 2.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa] bla 10.0.0.1 1 2.example.com 2 3.example.com 3 lj;agas;gag The dump will look like ip 234.34.2.0 10.0.0.2 ip 1.2.3.4 10.0.0.1 inaddr 3.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa 2.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa inaddr 1.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa 1.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa inaddr 4.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa 3.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa domain mdcc.cx 3.example.com domain blablabla.com 2.example.com domain www.hotsex.com 1.example.com email jan@blaat.frut.com john.doe.2@example.com email pietje@bigcompany.com john.doe.1@example.com SEE ALSO
lr_anonymize(1) VERSION
$Id: lr_deanonymize.in,v 1.4 2006/07/23 13:16:32 vanbaal Exp $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2001 Stichting LogReport Foundation LogReport@LogReport.org This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. AUTHOR
Joost van Baal <joostvb@logreport.org> Lire 2.1.1 2006-07-23 LR_DEANONYMIZE.IN(1)