Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Boot Messages changed after mondorestore Post 302336495 by shamik on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 09:09:12 AM
Old 07-22-2009
Boot Messages changed after mondorestore

Hello All,

I backed up my RHEL 4 as an image.
Then I restored the image (by mondorestore) on my machine. Everything went fine but I dont get the normal boot sequence as it used to come when I freshly installed RHEL4.

The messages that are shown when the system boots are something like-
" .....
EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
"

At this point, system waits for a while and then login prompt comes up normally. Everything in the system is working fine.

I just need to understand how this boot sequence got changed.
Is there anyway by which I can restore the normal boot sequence which used to get previously...
something like (may not be exactly similar)-

*** Welcome to Red Hat Linux Enterprise ***

Starting cups ..... [OK]
Starting NFS ...... [OK]
Starting *** ..... [OK]
Starting eth0 [OK]
....etc

Can anybody please tell me how do I get this kind of boot sequence again ??

This also occurs even if I restore a simple image instead of mondo image(thru mondorestore)

Regards,
Shamik.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot messages - how to eliminate them

Anyone would know how to get rid off a message that comes up during a boot-up on Solaris? It says that the clusters for this software are not installed. I deleted the software because it was crashing some other stuff but it did not get rid off all the stuff. Yes, I am coming from windows and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: softarch
2 Replies

2. Solaris

boot messages

(Solaris 8, 4 cpu's) When I look at my boot messages (/var/adm/messages or dmesg) I noticed the following: Sep 23 08:53:00 server1 unix: cpu0: SUNW,UltraSPARC-II (upaid 0 impl 0x11 ver 0xa0 clock 450 MHz) Sep 23 08:53:00 server1 unix: cpu1: SUNW,UltraSPARC-II (upaid 1 impl 0x11 ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finster
1 Replies

3. Linux

boot messages

Where do all those messages at boot time get stored / logged? like: starting eth0 : OK starting mysql : OK etc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

4. AIX

has bosboot command changed characteristics of boot image?

hi all i just found one of my p650 server showing a warning message when i tried to run bosboot command after upgrading TL to AIX 530803. i also tried to run chpv -c hdisk0 and chpv -c hdisk1 to clear out the old boot info in hdisk0 and hdisk1 and rerun bosboot -a. it still showed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rs6000er
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

mondorestore

Hi Guys :) I am finding out the way to use mondorestore via command line only, no GUI. I am able to use mondoarchive in the same way but not mondorestore. can anybody help me out.... Thanks in advance! halides:b: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halides
0 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Boot Sequence changed After Image Restore

Hello All, I backed up my RHEL 4 as an image. Then I restored the image on my machine. Everything went fine but I dont get the normal boot sequence as it used to come when I freshly installed RHEL4. The messages that are shown when the system boots are something like- " ..... EXT3-fs:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamik
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Grub.conf kernel field boot messages verbosity configuration

I am trying to understand what are the differences of boot messages verbosity levels for the kernel field in grub.conf From my research, there appear to be three levels: quiet verbose debug I have also found documents that specify removing quiet from the kernel field. If this is done, is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thaebich
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Custom-Spin doesnt boot to GUI when /etc/skel is changed

Heyas So i have my custom Fedora with AwesomeWM spin with alots of customizations using the kickstart method for a liveimage. A few weeks (2-3 months) ago, i've done some changes i cannot remember. Those changes made the image from bootable to gui, to not booting to gui any more. Just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Customized boot log messages

Hi all Many years ago, I found online this script that was incredibly funny and I had blogged it Unfortunately because of my poor record-keeping, I seem to have lost the shell script Would somebody be kind enough to tell me how to replicate this? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
0 Replies
KPARTX(8)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 						 KPARTX(8)

NAME
kpartx - Create device maps from partition tables SYNOPSIS
kpartx [-a | -d | -l] [-v] wholedisk DESCRIPTION
This tool, derived from util-linux' partx, reads partition tables on specified device and create device maps over partitions segments detected. It is called from hotplug upon device maps creation and deletion. OPTIONS
-a Add partition mappings -r Read-only partition mappings -d Delete partition mappings -u Update partition mappings -l List partition mappings that would be added -a -p set device name-partition number delimiter -f force creation of mappings; overrides 'no_partitions' feature -g force GUID partition table (GPT) -v Operate verbosely -s Sync mode. Don't return until the partitions are created EXAMPLE
To mount all the partitions in a raw disk image: kpartx -av disk.img This will output lines such as: loop3p1 : 0 20964762 /dev/loop3 63 The loop3p1 is the name of a device file under /dev/mapper which you can use to access the partition, for example to fsck it: fsck /dev/mapper/loop3p1 When you're done, you need to remove the devices: kpartx -d disk.img SEE ALSO
multipath(8) multipathd(8) hotplug(8) AUTHORS
This man page was assembled By Patrick Caulfield for the Debian project. From documentation provided by the multipath author Christophe Varoqui, <christophe.varoqui@opensvc.com> and others. July 2006 KPARTX(8)