Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX home directories
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX home directories Post 302335758 by DukeNuke2 on Monday 20th of July 2009 10:38:15 AM
Old 07-20-2009
please be more specific with your question... your os and your intentions and all other you can tell us are usefull informations to help you out...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

HACMP users home directories

What would be the best approach to configure one external /home f/s in simple two node config and have concurrent access ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zz2kzq
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete old home directories

I have a script that deletes obselete users from /etc/passwd then moves their home directories to another location. After 30 days, I need to delete the home directories that were moved to the new location. I would appreciate any ideas on how to delete the directories after the 30 days? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: munch
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to backup /home directories?

I know that how to backup the home directories in sun sparc server. Firstly, umount the filesystem, Secondly, fsck the filesystem, Thirdly, ufsdump the filesystem. Anybody know how to type the full command line backup the /home directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingsan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with multiple home directories.

I need to rename a directory in every home directory on a given workstation. I am a newb to scripting so maybe thats why I cant exactly figure out how to correctly do this. The first thing I need to be able to do to write this script is figure out how to list all the directorys (these are not... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

List /home directories in a file

Hi, i was looking at a unix paper i found and one of the tasks was to create a file called 'usernames' that contains a list of all directories in /home. This file should be located in the /home/userinfo directory. How would i go about doing this without changing directories from the home... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directories not being created by useradd

greetings. I'm using debian lenny, bash shell environment. It is my understanding that by default, the useradd command should create subdirectories under the /home directory, with the same name as the user being created, but this is not happening. I checked useradd -D and it showed, among... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fguy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to verify all user home directories are writable only by their owner

Hi, I'm currently working on my school assignment on how to verify that all user home directories are writable only by their owner on Solaris with VMware. But I'm not sure why my codes take a very long time to display the results. My friend says it's the `su - $i -c "ls -ld" 2> /dev/null | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NuuBe
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to verify all user home directories are writable only by their owner

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Need to verify that all user home directories are writable only by their owner on Solaris. The script posted below is workable but it is taking a long time to display the results, and I don't seem to be able to fix it or find any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NuuBe
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Home directories in packages

Hi, At my new company they use HP-UX on all the servers. They use Serviceguard to provide different packages, which are treated as if they where seperate systems. Therefore people log into packages instead of Host, and even the home directories live in the package. Now there are a different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: michas
4 Replies

10. Solaris

How to unmount user home directories ??

I've allocated /exports for all user directories by making separate directories under /exports..... :rolleyes: now i need to unmount /exports . But i'm unable to do that.. How can i troubleshoot this issue. Thanks in advance:D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
File::BaseDir(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					File::BaseDir(3pm)

NAME
File::BaseDir - Use the Freedesktop.org base directory specification SYNOPSIS
use File::BaseDir qw/xdg_data_files/; for ( xdg_data_files('mime/globs') ) { # do something } DESCRIPTION
This module can be used to find directories and files as specified by the Freedesktop.org Base Directory Specification. This specifications gives a mechanism to locate directories for configuration, application data and cache data. It is suggested that desktop applications for e.g. the Gnome, KDE or Xfce platforms follow this layout. However, the same layout can just as well be used for non-GUI applications. This module forked from File::MimeInfo. This module follows version 0.6 of BaseDir specification. EXPORT
None by default, but all methods can be exported on demand. Also the groups ":lookup" and ":vars" are defined. The ":vars" group contains all routines with a "xdg_" prefix; the ":lookup" group contains the routines to locate files and directories. METHODS
"new()" Simple constructor to allow Object Oriented use of this module. Lookup The following methods are used to lookup files and folders in one of the search paths. "data_home(@PATH)" Takes a list of file path elements and returns a new path by appending them to the data home directory. The new path does not need to exist. Use this when writing user specific application data. Example: # data_home is: /home/USER/.local/share $path = $bd->data_home('Foo', 'Bar', 'Baz'); # returns: /home/USER/.local/share/Foo/Bar/Baz "data_dirs(@PATH)" Looks for directories specified by @PATH in the data home and other data directories. Returns (possibly empty) list of readable directories. In scalar context only the first directory found is returned. Use this to lookup application data. "data_files(@PATH)" Looks for files specified by @PATH in the data home and other data directories. Only returns files that are readable. In scalar context only the first file found is returned. Use this to lookup application data. "config_home(@PATH)" Takes a list of path elements and appends them to the config home directory returning a new path. The new path does not need to exist. Use this when writing user specific configuration. "config_dirs(@PATH)" Looks for directories specified by @PATH in the config home and other config directories. Returns (possibly empty) list of readable directories. In scalar context only the first directory found is returned. Use this to lookup configuration. "config_files(@PATH)" Looks for files specified by @PATH in the config home and other config directories. Returns a (possibly empty) list of files that are readable. In scalar context only the first file found is returned. Use this to lookup configuration. "cache_home(@PATH)" Takes a list of path elements and appends them to the cache home directory returning a new path. The new path does not need to exist. Variables The following methods only returns the value of one of the XDG variables. "xdg_data_home" Returns either $ENV{XDG_DATA_HOME} or it's default value. Default is $HOME/.local/share. "xdg_data_dirs" Returns either $ENV{XDG_DATA_DIRS} or it's default value as list. Default is /usr/local/share, /usr/share. "xdg_config_home" Returns either $ENV{XDG_CONFIG_HOME} or it's default value. Default is $HOME/.config. "xdg_config_dirs" Returns either $ENV{XDG_CONFIG_DIRS} or it's default value as list. Default is /etc/xdg. "xdg_cache_home" Returns either $ENV{XDG_CACHE_HOME} or it's default value. Default is $HOME/.cache. NON-UNIX PLATFORMS The use of File::Spec ensures that all paths are returned in the apropriate form for the current platform. On Windows this module will try to set $HOME to a sensible value if it is not defined yet. On other platforms one can use e.g. File::HomeDir to set $HOME before loading File::BaseDir. Please note that the specification is targeting Unix platforms only and will only have limited relevance on other platforms. Any platform dependend behavior in this module should be considerd an extension of the spec. BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY
The methods "xdg_data_files()" and "xdg_config_files()" are exported for backwards compatibility with version 0.02. They are identical to "data_files()" and "config_files()" respectively but without the "wantarray" behavior. BUGS
Please mail the author if you encounter any bugs. AUTHOR
Jaap Karssenberg || Pardus [Larus] <pardus@cpan.org> Copyright (c) 2003, 2007 Jaap G Karssenberg. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/basedir-spec> perl v5.10.1 2010-02-24 File::BaseDir(3pm)