Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: replacing line with variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing line with variable Post 302334977 by panyam on Friday 17th of July 2009 02:07:05 AM
Old 07-17-2009
I don't have much idea on "perl"..check for more options on editing on a particular line .

This might help you for inline coding

Code:
perl -i -pe 's/bbb/xxx/i;' file_name.txt

---------- Post updated at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:04 PM ----------

Good Rakesh ... I was thinking there will be some alternative to "perl"..since i prefer to do it in awk Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing pattern in variable

My String variable is holding value as - abc"def I want to replce " with \" I tried with awk : echo $var | awk '{gsub(/"/,"\"");print}' and I am getting an error, `)' is not expected. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing $ in variable

hi I have a variable like k=$DESTDIR/$PKG/$VERSION I want to replace each $ in string k with say "XXX". so that k becomes like this "XXXDESTDIR/XXXPKG/XXXVERSION" when I use echo $k | sed -e "s/\$/XXX" it actually passes expanded of variables $DESTDIR, $PKG and $VERSION to sed. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashish_uiit
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing text with the value of a variable

Input file - tmp <begin> ./00003/ ./00004/ <end> I would like to replace "." with the value of pwd so that the output will look like /dev/project/00003/ t=`pwd` sed -e "s/\./$t/g" tmp > tmp1; The above piece of code is not working. Appreciate your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotto_123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a pattern using variable?

ip1="xxx" ip2="bbb" sed 's/$ip1/$ip2/g' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivarajM
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing in a variable

Hi, If I have a variable var1 ='TH 12/1234' How can I set this too in a script var1 ='TH 12~1234' Bearing in mind "/" might be in a difference place each time and that the "/" might not even exist each time the variable is set. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: belfastbelle
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing ' ' and :'s with _'s in a variable

Hi guys In my shell script I have a variable that contains a string that contains the current time. I want to replace the spaces and colons in the value with underscores. TIME=`date` echo $TIME gives me: Thu Sep 24 16:40:53 BST 2009 I want it to show:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinaqvi90
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing line 'i' of file1 with line 'j' of file 2

Hi All, As mentioned in the title I have two text files and I would like to replace line number 5 of file #1 with line number 4 of file #2 e.g. file 1 wqwert 4.4464002 3 319 286 369 46.320002 56.150002 45.100002 1 1 1 0.723 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable to another file and replacing

Hi all, I have a script in file1 which gets input from the user say variable "TYPE". This variable is present in the other file2. I want to replace the variable in the file2 with the value given by the user and print the file. How can I achieve this task? file1 code echo "Give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a variable in a loop

input.txt I want to make 3 seprate ouputs such that toast1.txt ICH.txt ICH_SV.txt I have tried "echo" and "sed 's/k/toast1/g' to replace k, but its not quite working. Please help me out :) Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in replacing a variable in shell scripting

Experts, Can someone help me with the below? I've a variable called NSPMHOME=some_value. I would like change the value of the variable with another variable and something followed by it. E.g From NSPHOME=some_value to NSPMHOME=$SOMETHING/test $SOMETHING has value /opt/tag . The end... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawaugh
4 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)