Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: serial modem connection
Operating Systems AIX serial modem connection Post 302334600 by pchangba on Thursday 16th of July 2009 04:48:01 AM
Old 07-16-2009
serial modem connection

I configured the serial modem in my P6-550 AIX 5.3 box

But i dont have telephone line.
when I run the command
Code:
# cu -l /dev/tty1

the output is as follows
does it mean that my modem is responding to the command?
can i say my serial port is working and communicating fine?
Code:
Connected

Lost carrier.

The connection is ended.

Last edited by zaxxon; 07-16-2009 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing a modem on a serial accelerator ports

I had been using a modem installed on a Digi accelerator port to dial in to an SCO open server r5 server. On monday it quit working and I realy don't know how it was installed and configured. I have tested the modem on a PC and it works. The port the modem is connected to is ttyB06 and I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kikkin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hyperterminal null modem connection to Solaris

I am new to Unix. I just got my SUN box from ebay with Solaris supposedly preloaded. The problem is I am unable to connect via Hyperterminal to Solaris, or more to the point, cannot tell if I have a successful connection and that solaris is the one not properly booted up. I hooked up a null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seethams
3 Replies

3. Solaris

null modem serial cable for server testing

HI all, i still have a problem when using null modem to see the output from my server(sun ultra en 3000). i followed the instruction from the internet, but it is not working. 1. i am using db9(5 4, 2 rows,put in laptop serial port) and db25(13 12, 2 rows,put in (A) server serial port). 2.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: waterbear
3 Replies

4. Linux

modem - usb to serial configuration

I have a serial modem connected to a usb port using an adapter cable. The system is a HP DL360. RedHat ES3.0 I am using the device /dev/ttyUSB0 When I issue the command "mgetty ttyUSB0" I get the following output in the log file. How do I get the system to see the modem. 12/02 14:17:55... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshoovie
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Communicate Serial Modem using non-Root user

Hi, I'm having a issue on communicating the serial GSM modem in Sun Solaris 5.9 To implement such connectiom, i'm using the "tip -115200 /dev/term/a" command and i successfully get the "connected" status And then i send a "AT" message and receive "OK" response from the modem :D Anyhow,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darontan
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

ip communication through serial connection

I have serial modem connection between two computers. We have to login the remote computer through ip address. How can I get the ip address in this connection? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freeing up a serial port with a modem connected

I currently access a remote Unix server which has an external modem connected to one of it's serial ports (/dev/cua/b). At times, this server undergoes a hard reset and for some reason this disallows us from making use of the modem any longer. A hard reset of the modem always seems to fix the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ebender1
0 Replies

8. Hardware

Serial connection CAT5 instead of RS232 and Null Modem or Straight cable.

Hello, I want to connect a VT520 terminal to p3 linux box. I have two questions regarding the connection. First, is it possible to use RJ45 instead of RS232 cable. (with DB9 pin to RJ45 and DB25 to RJ45 converter). Second point is that; do i need null modem cable or straight cable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
5 Replies

9. Hardware

Modem connection between two local PCs

Hello everybody, I didn't know were to post this, so i posted here in hardware section. I'm having some troubles while trying to interconnect two pc's via modem (soft fax modem, RJ-11 jack). One is a Handheld PC (HP Jornada 728) with a single fax modem slot, and the other computer is a PC with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 11.2 does not assign serial port to 3g usb modem?

In ubuntu etopic i create this udev rules for prolink 3g usb modem: SUBSYSTEM=="block", SUBSYSTEM=="scsi", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1e0e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f000", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe usbserial Vendor=0X1e0e Product=0Xf000" After plugging the usb modem, ubuntu assigns the ports... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamsat
4 Replies
ports(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						  ports(7)

NAME
ports, port_names - Device (tty and lp) names for serial and parallel ports SYNOPSIS
Default Serial Ports: /dev/tty00 /dev/tty01 (not present on a single-port system) Parallel Port: /dev/lp0 DESCRIPTION
AlphaStation and AlphaServer systems provide one or two 9-pin serial communication ports. These ports are usually labelled 1 (COMM1) and 2 (COMM2), but they may be identified by different icons. Using the appropriate serial cable and terminator, you can connect a serial printer, external modem, or character-cell terminal to a serial port. Most AlphaStation and AlphaServer systems also provide one parallel port, for use with a parallel printer. When you add a device to your system, the installation documentation may instruct you to map the device pathname to the port. These devices are located in the /dev directory. For serial-line ports, the two default device pathnames are: This pathname always maps to 1, COMM1, the lowest port number, an icon for a terminal console, or the only serial port (on a single-port system). This pathname always maps to 2, COMM2, the next numbered port, or (if one serial port is labeled with an icon for a terminal console) the remaining serial port. If your system hardware has been extended to include additional serial ports, the pathnames /dev/tty02, /dev/tty03, and so forth, may also be available to you. However, most systems have only /dev/tty00 and /dev/tty01 as the device pathnames for serial ports. The one parallel port on an AlphaStation or AlphaServer may be labeled with the word printer or a printer icon. On some systems, the paral- lel port may not be labeled. The device pathname for the parallel port is /dev/lp0. Currently, Tru64 UNIX does not fully support parallel printers, so fewer devices are connected to this port as compared to serial ports. If you are connecting a terminal console to your system, it must be connected to the serial port mapped to /dev/tty00. For other serial devices, it does not matter which of the serial ports you choose for the connection. For example, suppose you are setting up a system that has two serial ports, labeled 1 and 2. You intend to use a serial-line terminal rather than a workstation monitor as the system console and also want to connect a serial-line printer to the system. In this case, you must connect the terminal to the port labeled 1 (with the device pathname /dev/tty00). Therefore, you must connect the printer to the remaining port labeled 2 (with the device pathname /dev/tty01). If, for the same type of system, you intend to use a workstation monitor as the system console, it does not matter which serial port you use for a serial-line printer or modem. In other words, you can connect the printer to either port 1 (with pathname /dev/tty00) or port 2 (with pathname /dev/tty01). When prompted to enter a /dev/tty** pathname by the lprsetup script or the Print configuration tool in the CDE Application Manager, you would specify /dev/tty00 if you connected the printer to port 1 or /dev/tty01 if you connected the printer to port 2. See the System Administration manual for more information on setting up consoles (including remote consoles) and printers. See the modem(7) reference page for more information on setting up modems. SEE ALSO
Commands: lprsetup(8) Devices: ace(7), modem(7) System Administration delim off ports(7)